The Dark side

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by kipper, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kipper

kipper New Member

Maybe I didn't go to church enough lately , but I was hearing it calling . Last year In Disney World while setting up our Starcraft Centennial at 9::30 at night I heard voices again . Then , pulling out the beds more voices , getting louder , I had yet to install the door that was still in folded position on the ceiling , it crashed down on my head the dark side voices were yelling . GET A TRAVEL TRAILER . So the first RV show we went to this year we found a Jayco Jayflight . We were in love.
    Easter weekend at French Creek State Park in Pa we were out for a three night maiden voyage , after setting up , I kept thinking I was forgetting something , no beds to pull out , no support rods to slide in beneath the beds . no door to set in place . Just pull in , level and enjoy . Yeah the dark side called , Its not as bad as we were lead to believe , it was heaven , don't be frightened come on over. Kipper

2. mpkeon

mpkeon What A Looong Strange Trip It's Been

boo

3. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Kind of like getting an automatic after years of driving a 5 speed. You still find yourself going for the clutch. [LOL] [LOL]

4. Kenpopup

Kenpopup New Member

take all the fun out of camping

5. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I wonder if there are some stats available about the number of Pups in use vs. the number of all the other kinds of hard wall/hard side TT's, fivers, class ABC, etc. as we are surely a tiny number in the industry.
    There are (many) good reasons to not want a Pup.
    You made a wise decision based on what you like and don't like - what you prefer vs. what you are not willing to tolerate.
    Be Loud and Proud!!

Hey, Ken -
    After I buy a Trailmanor will I never ever have any fun of any kind while camping??!! [:(]
    I think not...

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Twisty.. you'd have fun trying get out of a wet paper bag... You'd be like the scene in Pet detective, where Jim Carry is trying to escape the rhino.

7. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

I have had both and I like the PUP better. I wish you luck with it and Happy Camping............that all that matters. [2C]

8. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

The dark side is calling us as well. This may well be our last camping season with our pop up. At some point next year, we are looking to upgrade to a hybrid, so we will still have a little fun while camping. [:D]

9. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain New Member

I found a simpler solution...
    one pop-up
    one Apache hard-side pop-up
    one 22' travel trailer
    one SUV tent
    all are ever changing projects, each can be used, each have a certain application
    all ARE used [:D]

10. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

We are heavily considering the dark side----in a couple of years. We just got this pup last year. I was skeptical of a pup to begin with due to all the work required and the fear of taking down in the rain (store it 2.5 hours from home), etc but a pup is a good inexpensive way to get off the ground and out of a tent. Almost every other trip I say "I want a travel trailer!!" at some point. I just don't think I am going to be able to hold off much longer..... I am seeing a TT in our future either next spring or the next one.

We will SOOOO miss the open air breeze, but I hear so much about hybrids leaking that I am thinking we will go straight to a TT and not make the hybrid stop

11. charles.chapman

charles.chapman New Member

[HYC]

Crossed over from a LivinLite Quick Silver 6.0 PUP to a LivinLite 16' Twin Bed Slide (TBS) Travel Trailer. First camping trip is first weekend in April at Promised Land State Park.

Our goal was to make set up and break camp an easier task. With retirement 5 years off we want to simplify the camping and travel process.

Attached Files:

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

[:D] welcome to the darkside

13. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Ahhh yes, we were pulled over 4 yrs ago, the force strong...bonus is we have cookies and ice cream.. We love being able to pull in, level off, push two buttons to open the bed slide and awning. Inside, we just set up the table and pull up the back on the sofa. The rest is relax....

14. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I really want to go gray. I LOVE sleeping in a tent but having the amenities of a camper. I don't minds setup or take down. I'm used to it. What I don't like is the up down up down, crawl and shimmy that we do at home to get anything out. I don't like over night stays. A hybrid alleviates these problems. I can still hear the rain on the fabric, I can't take a shower and poop in my camper and have a fair amount of move around space. I'll never complain about my popup though. If it's all I ever have I'll be just fine.

Dark side? Meh. I like my fabric.

15. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

not only can you use your own bathroom,, and you got a freezer for the Ice cream or even better the Gelato !

16. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Going Dark is really easy to get used to. Especially if the weather is bad, you can just pack everything on the inside, hook up and be gone, and if the weather is still bad on arrival home, just unhook and wait until it clears and then unpack and clean up, no more setting up asap so everything can dry out, or getting weathered setting up at the CG. and no more of the plastic boxes to tote around..

17. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

X2 on appreciating the rainy packing of a TT.

18. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Hey I am with you there, here in the Pacific North West, we can sometimes see a lot of rain....last Labour Day weekend was a washout....we heard the pitter patter but we stayed dry. Don't have to air it out when we get home. The best part is that a majority of the cleaning is done at the campsite.. You get to really appreciate not to have to unpack to open it up when you get home.

19. mikem12188

mikem12188 Member

We thought about going to the dark side but we still like the openness of our pop-up. With all of the curtains and screens open, we love all the fresh air that comes through. So we did upgrade this year, but to another pop-up.

Maybe next time. [?]

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Each person needs to look at all the pluses and minuses of each type of camper. When we bought our second pup in Aug of 2011, we thought we'd be using it for many years to come. Three years later, we came to the recognition that my back and other issues were getting to the point that camping in the pup was not as much fun as it had been. I could not reliably do set up/take down by myself, and with time passing on, there wasn't much likelihood that things would improve vastly. Our goal is to get to interesting places and camp there - we were ready to makes changes so we would continue to do that.
    We have several dealers in town, so I was able to shop most of them in one (long) day. I looked at TTs, pups, HTTs, and A-frames. Given our size and weight restraints on top of my limitations, the small TT we ended up buying was the most practical one for us. For someone else, the answer would probably have been different.
    We did give brief thought to keeping the pup, but space considerations and the added upkeep for two camping units (maintenance and supplies) made that less than ideal.