The Dirt Road Rule--survey

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by sea-piner, Feb 4, 2017.

1. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Hi all, just curious who has heard of or practices what my DW call the Dirt Road Rule--which is once on a dirt road, we'll partake in an adult beverage while driving.

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

No dirt roads long enough for me.... [:D]

3. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Not us. BF doesn't like alcohol, so when adult beverages are provided he is always the dedicated driver. Lucky for him, since I am the dedicated drinker & the one who usually takes over towing duty when things are iffy, I have learned that just because it's not illegal to drink in certain situations, doesn't mean it's not a bad idea. Drinking is usually a bad idea when good judgement is needed. I think driving, on or off road, definitely lands in that category.

But most of all, I'd rather spend my money on camping and adventures, not repairing things I frigged up while under the influence. I've already had to make use of my auto insurance an embarrassingly high number of times. I'm not in a hurry to use it again. [LOL]

4. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

I should state, so I don't look like evil: we split one in the last few minutes of the drive. So yes, illegal open container, but not a felony.

5. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Rules have changed so much over the years... when I first came to Florida they had a drive up liquor lane in one of the big package store chains here....you could order you a drink and drive legally with an open container. I remember how dumbfounded I was when I discovered this. It was against the law everywhere else I had lived to that point. My how things have changed.

6. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

And we support those changes. We also believe in a little civil disobedience :)

I lived in Salt Lake City for 2002 Olympics and they suspended a lot of the liquor laws during the Olympics. For example we could have an open container while outside. And one didn't have to join a club to buy alcohol at a bar.

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Ok, I had to look where you are based. Here in Alaska, that simply won't fly. The state highway system, and I mean numbered highways, have several hundreds, if not over a thousand miles of unpaved dirt portions. Many "dirt roads" going off into the woods support a very robust off-grid homestead population. So, you see ATVs and snowmachines on them all the time, plus kids, moose and whatnot.

I know you're not saying get legally intoxicated, but a Trooper here would have no sympathy for anyone with an open container simply because they were on a dirt road up here. If it is a public road, I still say the rules apply. If you're on private property, however, do what you want that doesn't hurt someone else IMHO.

The problem is, it's not quite universal that "dirt road" means "middle of nowhere important" universally everywhere quite yet.

The funny thing is, I'm not a huge rule follower, but this particular issue is just one I have an opinion on, and now I have opined and I'm out.

Happy Camping!

8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Never

9. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

I just wait till I get to where I am going, that road can't be that long.

10. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

DUI is dangerous on any kind of road, or no road at all.

Being "in the middle of nowhere" just means you're more likely to hit a tree or a rock than a person, so you are the only one who will suffer.

Think of it as evolution in action.

11. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Once upon a time but no more. Times changed me and I do not drive with any adult beverages any more.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We'd stay drunk all the time. Half the roads in our county are dirt roads, including ours. [LOL]

But seriously, no. I used to drive completely drunk way back in the early 80's and think nothing of it. Times have changed and so has my wisdom level, thank God. I wouldn't take one drink of alcohol and drive. Not even on my own property.

13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Drinking and Driving!? Holy crap, I don't think so. I'd like to be alive for the camping trip, not dead , smashed into a tree. I can wait till I get to the camp site.

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Sounds like something the "We can't have fun unless we are drinking every minute" loser crowd does. Anything to justify having another drink. Lots of time around the campfire for one.

Laws are different everything, but they'll give a DUI to someone driving an ATV in the woods here....good luck driving a TV and trailer on a public road. You can even get a roadside suspension and towed while LEGALLY UNDER THE LIMIT!!!!

I'm sure the fine, license suspension, towing and impound fees are totally worth the drink.

15. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

If you are on the "highway" you can be charged with drinking and driving here.
    Here is the definition of "highway"
    highway = includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof;
    basically its sidewalk to sidewalk and includes the sidewalk.
    Happy camping everyone.

16. desertwilde67

desertwilde67 Member

My entire development is dirt roads. My son will be driving in a few months. It's not a message I want to send to him. I also lost a dear friend to an intoxicated driver. She was 18. I will never forget that.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Only place you can legally drink and drive or have an open alcoholic container in a vehicle here in CA is on a private road not open to the public, Reference 23220(a)(b) VC, 23222(a) VC and 38001(a) VC. Both infractions. DUI is a misdemeanor 23152(a)(b) VC) and will absolutely land you in jail. can't do that on any land, even private property.

Happy Campin'

18. Redbird

Redbird Member

Never while on the road...

A drink is a reward after we're all set up and enjoying dinner and a campfire. [CP] I like to make myself a little "campfire cola" with cola of choice, marshmallow vodka, grenadine, and maraschino cherries.

19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

It looks like everyone missed on this one. We all know that what he is talking about is not legal. He just wanted to know is anyone else will have a little drink when there not likely to be bothered by anyone.

I have never hear of the dirt road rule But I do grab a beer when I get to the beginning of the dirt rd to a friends camp. It takes 3 hrs of driving to get there and when I get there I get out and stretch the legs and water the trees. Than I consume an cold adult beverage before I start the 15 minute climb up the 1/2 mile driveway.

20. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member