the dog when you need to head out?

jayco1997

Super Active Member
Oct 1, 2012
I camp about 50% of the time with my dog and the other 50% he stays home with my neighbor if she is available. We always bring his cage because he is most comfortable in it and he also travels in the car with it. It's like his security blanket. We always set up the screen room too. When I first started camping with him and I needed to head out for a short time I would put his cage in the pup and off I went. The neighbors around me told me he cried the whole time. I started to put his cage outside the pup in the screen room and he never made a sound. He would just look around or sleep and most of the time people didn't even know he was there. I guess he could hear noise but he wasn't able to see what was going on when left inside the pup. He loves to go camping and he actually looks like he has a smile on his face.

jab2181

Super Active Member
Jul 4, 2012
Ours does that as well, he does not though if ha has noise like a radio or fan.

jayco1997

Super Active Member
Oct 1, 2012
Jab2181, I tried the fan, AC, radio and TV but it still didn't work. I think he needs to see rather than block out sounds from the outside.

j_shoe99

Jul 18, 2012
Have you tried putting him in the cage, in the pup, within the window open? So he could still see out?

Indy

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2012
Our dogs are the opposite. We put them in their kennel in the camper when they need a time-out for 30 min or so, or they are not invited on our activity. If they start barking at squirrels, neighbors, etc. - they go in their kennels for a bit to rest. Even if we're just outside the camper making noise, they are quiet and calm in their kennels. Also, if we're going to tour a nearby city or hike for the day, they are kenneled and stay quiet all day long (just be ready to exercise them when you get home!). We've asked our neighbors, who replied "you have dogs in there?" :)

From the time they were puppies, we have put them in their kennels in our room at night to sleep. They spend their days frolicking in the back yard, but kennels are always for resting. Maybe that's why?

They always get a treat when they go in their kennel, as well as a nice soft bed and a chew toy. It works well and they don't mind their kennels.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Not sure where you camp, but any campground I have ever been in clearly has it in the rules... "Do not leave pets unattended" , running off to the shower house or toilet is one thing, but if your going away for more then 10 minutes... take the dog with you....

jayco1997

Super Active Member
Oct 1, 2012
Snow, we always camp at the beach 90% of the time. The dog can not be on the beaches here in the summer. You also can not leave the dog in the car if your heading out for some reason. Most places do not allow dogs in the summer months so its not always possible to take the dog.

campinglovers

Apr 14, 2014
Both of our dogs love camping also. When I opened the pup up this weekend in our driveway, they both whined until I let them in. Once they got in you could hear the sigh of relaxation in them. They curled up and just watch me skitter here and there. I think it is just as relaxing for them as it is for us.

JeepMama

Super Active Member
Jun 10, 2011
Snow said:
Not sure where you camp, but any campground I have ever been in clearly has it in the rules... "Do not leave pets unattended" , running off to the shower house or toilet is one thing, but if your going away for more then 10 minutes... take the dog with you....

agree - Take the dog with you, it is the rules :)

These are my opinions and experiences, many probably won't agree... if the campground rules are to not leave a dog unattended, then someone needs to stay at the camper while someone else goes to the beach. Period. Even for the 10 minutes I went to the shower house, someone else should stay at the camper with the dog. If there is someplace that you want to go that doesn't allow dogs, then don't go. Or leave the dog at home with a pet sitter.

We used to have a dog. We took him camping with us a few times. We never left him unattended - EVER. We also paid for him to be boarded when we knew our camping activities would not lend themselves to having him along. I remember paying extra for him to be taken on walks on the property and other things to give him a more pleasant experience rather than just being stuck in a kennel for a long weekend. Being a pet owner requires a commitment to them for their lifetime. Before you bring a pet into your life, you need to be aware of your lifestyle and be willing to make arrangements for their proper care.

If you are ONE person camping alone with a dog, you would need to really work hard to make sure that your dog is not left alone for any extended time.

One of the reasons we DO NOT have a dog in our family is that we camp often. When we camp we do activities that would not allow us to bring a dog with us. If we had a dog, it would be part of our family, with us all the time. Therefore we would not be able to camp as often or do all the activities we enjoy while camping.

Indy

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2012
Snow said:

This does not typically apply INSIDE your temperature controlled camper. Just as the 6' leash rule does not apply INSIDE your camper. TYPICALLY - it does not, and I have asked rangers who have no problem with it. Let's not make this explode into another dog-hating thread, causing me to say that your children should not be unattended either and your babies must abide by quiet hours. Deal?

JeepMama

Super Active Member
Jun 10, 2011
We love dogs and would LOVE to have one in our family again. But it just wouldn't be fair or kind to the dog.

We have occasionally 'fostered' dogs or cats for a local rescue just to get a 'fix' of the sweetness of them [;)]

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Indy said:
This does not typically apply INSIDE your temperature controlled camper. Just as the 6' leash rule does not apply INSIDE your camper. TYPICALLY - it does not, and I have asked rangers who have no problem with it. Let's not make this explode into another dog-hating thread, causing me to say that your children should not be unattended either and your babies must abide by quiet hours. Deal?

A barking dog inside your trailer does apply ... 6ft leash rule outside your trailer, does apply.. they are called rules ..

Now a crying baby left alone in the trailer is the same as leaving a barking dog alone in a trailer no matter what time it is ... A crying baby during quiet time, is usually still accompanied by someone ... and in the eyes of almost any Province or State, both my kids are old enough to be left alone... one is 23 today the other is 16 ...

So again .. either find someone to look after the dog.. or camp in locations that will allow the dog.. and make sure one person is always with the dog ...

Hawks

Jun 26, 2012
We know when we bring our dog camping that we would not leave her alone at the campsite. My husband and I take turns staying at the site. In our eyes, that is part of having her with us camping.

Sometimes we even fight who gets to stay with her and who takes the kids to the beach...if we stay back with the dog, that person gets quiet time in the shade with a good book and a good drink and peace and quiet :)

Indy

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2012
Rules vary by region, but Texas Parks and Wildlife has defined this:

Unattended pet: A pet that is unaccompanied or not under immediate control. Pets tied or secured outside of camping equipment or buildings are not considered under immediate control.

A dog on a cable outside the camper is technically unattended because it is not under immediate control, whereas a kenneled dog inside the camper is attended. But, no one should have to deal with a neighbor's barking dog all day long, either. That is common sense. So, let's help the OP find solutions that keep everyone happy.

If the dog is ok when he can see outside the screen area, maybe facing the kennel toward an open screened window would do the trick.

Sharon

Dover, FL
Oct 28, 2008
Dover,FL
We have a 6 day trip booked for June in the pet section. But! As it gets closer, Im really thinking we will NOT be taking the dogs. Only because I can not trust my hubby to follow the "Pet" rules. He dont like putting the harness and leash on his Chihuahua. Which is against the rules.

And since we will be at the beach (Ft. Desoto) they do have a dog beach and play yard but other then that, they aren't allowed at the fort or other parts of the beach or on the fishing pier. So not wanting to be stuck at the trailer all week.

I think they will be staying home and the neighbor across the street will watch them for me. It will be better for us and them in the long run.

Sharon

jayco1997

Super Active Member
Oct 1, 2012
when we stayed at this one campground last summer we could leave our dog but they want your phone number in case they need to contact you because your dog is making too much noise or he is acting up. We also stayed in motels that allowed dogs and they also did the same thing. They just ask that you leave your number so they can contact you.
As someone mentioned earlier about kids. Do you leave the restaurant when your kids are acting up? Do you leave the store while shopping when your kids act up? Are you sitting in the movie theater when your kids are talking and acting up? Are you drinking alcohol at the campground while your kids are still awake? The list can go on and on.

froggie

Sep 2, 2012
We don't take our dogs if we are going to do things the dogs can't. We're going to the beach in June. The dogs can't come. Most trips are dog inclusive. Maybe if I had a tt I would take the dogs, but not in a popup.

JeepMama

Super Active Member
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, if my kids were acting up in a public place, I would remove them. Restaurant, grocery store, movies, church etc.

No, I don't sit at a camp ground drinking alcohol while my kids run amock! I AM A RESPONSIBLE PARENT.

I am just asking pet owners to be equally as responsible. You want to take your pet camping, go for it. Please don't leave them unattended where it is against the rules of the camp ground. If you have plans to be somewhere where they do not allow you to bring your pet, like the beach, a restaurant etc. then maybe that should be the trip where you make alternate arrangements for your four-legged friend.

jayco1997

Super Active Member
Oct 1, 2012
I started this post and the topic was "the dog when you need to head out".With that said, do you leave your dog in or out of the pup. Does the dog stay in the cage or does the dog not have a cage?The topic does not mention whether or not the campground allowed you to leave your dog unattended. Where I go camping you can leave your dog but you need to leave a phone number where you can be reached. Although true, many campgrounds do not allow you to leave the dog there are some that actually do but that isn't what we are talking about.

dwagaman

Mar 31, 2014
If we need to leave and can't take the dog, we crate her inside the pup. She feels safe in her crate and has been trained that it is a place where she is quiet and calm. Never had an issue or complaint (though we also never leave her for very long), similar to an earlier post the reaction is usually, wow you have a dog?