The Dreaded Coleman Storage Box

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by mrmrspopup, Jun 1, 2017.

1. mrmrspopup

mrmrspopup New Member

My husband and I purchased our first pop up- a 2003 Coleman Westlake. Needs a storage box overhaul. Floor (even into back of camper was totally rotted due to leaking), the box itself has major cracking in several places. So far, he has torn out rotted wood and detached the box from the camper. A couple of questions before we proceed:

1. Aside from rebuilding the box, has anyone discovered a better option for a replacement? So far the demo has been HORRIBLE! I am left wondering, "Will our marriage survive? :)"

2. If a rebuild is the way to go, how the heck do you remove the shell without destroying it? Tips? Tricks? What about removing the wires that run through the box?

3. As far as repairing holes and cracks, what are our best options? What products would you recommend Right now we are thinking: Fiberglass patching, flex Seal on inside and painting with bed liner. We need to strengthen the entire box.

Thanks for any information or links to information!

2. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

I did this repair this spring. A lot of little details and frustration. I did tell myself that my next camper is a 2004 so the box is separate from the camper!!

The shell comes off pretty easy. It is held together by screws, rivets and small staples. The hardest part is there is some tape and butyl tape (sticky putty). Take your time and measure things. I ended up with a good product and I'm happy, but it is about 1/8" too narrow and the sides didn't seal just right. I do have video and pictures of my frustration and will try to get them together next week for my Youtube channel.
    [​IMG]

The plastic panel is actually easy to repair. I used this.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.westsystem.com/plastic-boat-repair-kit/

Good luck and have fun.

3. mrmrspopup

mrmrspopup New Member

Thank you! Yeah, any pics would be great. Glad to know it is possible to get the thing apart. How did you manage to get the rivets out without destroying the shell? And did you just disconnect all of the wires running through the box? And last, what's your YouTube channel?

4. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

My Youtube is Coleman Guy
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdTr9d82Dhwdk6Crc-eHJAQ

Rivets are easily drilled out with drillbit. If I recall it is ~1/8". I'll look at the size and try and get it to you next week. All the wires disconnect easily. The trailer lights are connected with scotch locks that you can open, light in the trunk can be disconnected by the plugs and the 120V can be disconnected by opening the outlet. All very easy. The hared part is to remove the rusted screws holding the floor and back panel to the steel supports. Most of mine I snapped, ground flat and replaced with new self tapping sheet metal screws.

[​IMG]

See if this link works. I grabbed all the photos and videos from my phone. This is UNEDITED. There will be naughty words due to frustration.....
    https://plus.google.com/115302646077446855995/posts/jEyuXGgyE9j

5. mrmrspopup

mrmrspopup New Member

Awesome info! I can promise I'm not going to hear any language that I'm not hearing daily! I'll have to take some pics. We keep finding more rot. Thought we could away with repairing a portion but no!

6. tp1963

tp1963 New Member

This is exactly what I was looking for smit1088! I searched a lot but did not come upon this! Thanks for pointing us in the right direction. I'll let you know if we have more questions!