The Fat-Man Plan

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by CarNutCass, Apr 25, 2011.

1. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

That's what I call it, anyway. This is a story about a fat guy's attempt to be less fat.

Let me start buy saying, I'm a big dude. At Christmas time I tipped the scales at 376 lbs. I hate to admit that number in writing but sometimes the truth hurts. My weight has gradually gone up over the last several years but the day after Christmas I decided that enough was enough. Here's a short tale about what I've been doing and how successful I've been thus far. I hope this info can be helpful to anyone who has struggled unsuccessfully with reducing their weight.

I've tried following low-fat, low-cal diets in the past. I know there's more to dieting than following a plan but it has been my experience that in order to make lifestyle changes you have to start with an eating regimine that is do-able. Low-cal, low-fat, carb-rich diets always resulting in an unsatisfied feeling with hunger a couple hours after eating. Never mind that much of the low-fat foods out there just taste bland.

I lost weight successfully in the past by following the Atkins Diet. I was a younger man and lost the weight for a specific event and had no real intention of changing my habits or lifestyle. Well, I'm older now and have a house full of kids who need their dad so the weight has to go!

I started on a low-carb, protien-rich diet the day after Christmas. Thus far, 121 days later, I've lost 51 lbs. That's almost 1/2 lb a day. I feel awesome! I have an unbelievable amount of energy and have found that I actually consume fewer calories when I'm not counting them. 51 lbs lost and I'm eating steak, bacon, butter, nuts, real cream in my coffee, cheesecake (without crust)....basically all the things that are either forbidden or at least highly restricted on a low-cal diet.

That's enough for now. There's more to this story and things I've discovered along the way. If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to share.

Wilkywoods likes this.
  2. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Good for you!

I've lost 17 lbs since Christmas by just doing a few simple things.

1) Cutting out junk food snacks and some deserts.
    2) Taking fibre supplements.
    3) Increasing exercise, walking the 8 flights of stairs to my office every morning, doing 20-30 mins on treadmill 2-3 times a week.

I'm sure I could have dropped more if I made radical changes, but I think its better to make a number of small changes I can stick with. I hope to drop another 15 by August.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Congrats! I'm doing the walking regiment and between that and the CPAP I have more energy. I'm starting to loose a bit but it's slow going. One thing that I was told years ago that helps visualizes the weight loss is to think of eask pound lost in sticks of butter. One stick is 1/4 pound. next time you go to the market, look at the boxes of butter and imagine a stack of 51 boxes, that is how much you have lost.

Congrats and keep up the good work.

4. CarNutCass

Thanks guys.

One thing I discovered right away is that I think I have a gluten sensitivity. I was having hip pain for a year or so before I started this diet and have dealt with moderate asthma my whole life. Within days of giving up the grains my joint paint was nonexistent and my breathing has been great. I haven't used my inhaler once since I started on this.

I'm a bread and potato fiend. It doesn't even matter what kind, I love them all. That was the toughest part for me but the further along I go the less I crave them.

5. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

To get more fibre in my diet, I've pretty much given up white bread. I do eat multigrains, but not as much. Brown rice, instead of white rice.

But I do love nice french bread.....

Gluten is tough, one of my wife's friends has celiac disease so no gluten for her at all. It makes her life challenging at times, more planning is needed, but she manages.

Just keep going....

6. CarNutCass

Walking as an exercise plan is dreadfully boring to me. Don't get me wrong, I love to walk when we're at the cg or museum or park or wherever. But walking for the sake of exercise and fat-burning is something I just can't get into.

Soooo, I bought a hybrid bike. I've always liked riding a bike and as a younger man used to ride 50-60 miles at a shot. I bought a bike-shop quality bike (Haro) that is made for rough trail riding. It's not really rated for my weight but the logic I used was that if the bike is made to handle a 250 lb guy on rough terrain, surely it can handle a 325 lb guy on a smooth bike path. The Katy Trail, America's longest Rail-to-Trails path, is two miles from my house.

7. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Tell me more I need the motivation. When I was 30 years old I weighed in at 165lbs. I quit smoking which only lasted two years during which time I put on 30 lbs. From there I just continued to gain and three years ago at 225lbs. I quit smoking again and now I'm 49 and weigh 252 lbs. The good news is I'm not the fool I was then as nothing will ever lead me to put another cigarette in my mouth, ever. I want to eat better and exercise more, and know I need to do these things. I'm not a veggie person and that makes it tough, two years ago I started walking at first a mile damn near put me out but it wasn't long before I was doing 3 miles a day and enjoying it, but at some point didn't go for a couple days, which turned into a few more days, etc. The summer before that I was riding my bike for the first time in 15 years, I need to make it a more comfortable ride some how, raise the handle bars etc. My problem is I find it hard to get myself to motivate to do these things. I'd like to hear more about how you lost 50 pounds, I need to make changes, it's time.

8. CarNutCass

I have a hard time getting motivated to exercise too. I leave home for work at 7:30ish AM and get home at 8:00ish PM. The last thing I want to do, or have energy for, is exercising. Plus, bedtime for the kids comes a little while after I get home and then I want to hang out with my wife for a while...there's a CRAZY concept in this day and age, a guy who WANTS to hang out with his wife...WHAT!?!?!?! LOL

I don't get to ride as much as I'd like but try to at least once every weekend. I'm up to 12 miles per ride. I want to build up gradually so as to avoid injury. I'm very fortunate to have more bike path than I can possibly ride at my disposal. The Katy runs along the Missouri River and the scenery is awesome.

The single biggest thing I've done to lose weight is give up bread. Bread was the hidden enemy for me...like crack to a crackhead. Seriously. Looking back, I ate bread at every meal in some form or another. Also, regular soda is off the menu too. I don't mind the Diet Coke. Oh yeah...don't forget the water. Water is the magic elixer when trying to dump the extra lbs.

My basic operating philosophy is, "If it doesn't grow, you can't kill it, or you can't gather it and eat it without processing then you should not eat it!" Seriously, it goes against everything we were taught about the food pyramid and good nutrition that I'll be eating an 18oz Ribeye for dinner tonight and losing weight..

Also, I have a medical physical scheduled for next week for the sake of my family and friends that tell me that my cholestorol is going to sky-rocket. I belong to a forum for those who follow the same diet and almost all who have had their cholesterol checked while dieting were down.

9. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I had friends on Atkins, who were eating a ton of meat but overall their cholesteral was stable and not rising. I wouldn't do Atkins for a number of reasons but it worked for them in the short term.

I do believe in the replacement of highly processed foods for less processed ones - multigrain bread for white bread, whole wheat pasta for regular, etc. The reasoning is that you get more nutrition out of the whole grains, and so overall you feel fuller and want to eat less. If nothing else you gain some nutrients that are lost in processesing, and more fibre. And trust me, in weight loss, fibre is your friend.

10. CarNutCass

My wife discovered a recipe for "The One Minute Muffin." It uses ground flaxseed and is high in fiber.

1/4 cup ground flaxmeal
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 teaspoon butter
    handful of nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, blueberries, whatever! I like Cinnamon

Using a regular sized coffee mug, mix everything well with a fork, place it in the microwave and cook for 1 minute. Muffin will pop right out of the mug. Wash your mug right away as the flax dries and hardens and is hard to clean off the mug.

I put butter on it and my wife likes a garlic bread version.

11. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

That is an outstanding accomplishment, I know how hard it is to lose weight and keep it off (I'm 6'5" and 310lbs working my way to 275lbs).

What are your favorite high-protein, low-carb meals? I am always running out of ideas on what to eat, and wind up running for my salty carb-rich snack friends! :)

Keep us informed of how this is going, it is quite an inspirational story.

12. azav8ter

azav8ter New Member

Congrats on the weight loss!!

When my wife found out she was borderline type II, she decided to go on a diet. I told her to cut out ALL soda and High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS-it is in EVERYTHING!). She lost 25 pounds in 2 months and her blood sugar is back to normal. She does not exercise.

HFCS is a processed food that is not good for us at all. I could go on a long rant about HFCS but will spare you. lol Check out www.mercola.com and search. Incidently, I lost 10 pounds just by her changing our food.

13. CarNutCass

Thanks again for the kind words and well wishes.

My wife started running a couple of years ago as a means to help avoid Type II after three bouts of gestational diabetes. She lost quite a bit of weight and is much healthier overall. She has run two half marathons this year and will be running another next weekend.

When I told her I wanted to do this and gave her the basic lowdown she said this sounded a whole lot like the diet she had to follow while pregnant. After two years of running and regular exercise she had pretty much plateaued with her weight loss so she decided to do this with me. She has also lost quite a bit of weight and she was in pretty good shape to begin with. She weighs less and is healthier than she has ever been since we met.

She's the chef so I pretty much eat whatever she prepares. We bought half a cow this past Winter and that has helped a lot. The grass-fed beef tastes soooooo much better than the grain-fed stuff sold in most grocery stores. My favorite dish is this zucchini / hamburger / tomato / cheese recipe that is just outstanding. She also makes a Mexican meatloaf with salsa that's wonderful.

To satisfy my sweet tooth I eat a Russell Stover sugar free chocolate candy.

I brown bag my lunch these days which helps with portion control and eliminates the impulse burger or other odd temptation. Eat what's in the bag mister!

14. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

CarNut--- that is fantastic news.. keep up the great work... It's tough I know.
    I gain weight if the wind blows the wrong way.. so I have to keep a constant check on what I'm doing. I hover at 175-180 and I'm 5-9, but can easily balloon up to 200 #s in a month if I dont watch it. Would love to get down to my ideal of 160-165 one day, but I'm generally lazy. (lol)

Here are a few things I've changed in my life that really help me:

* Stop all consumption of Soft Drinks---Diet ones or Regular. They really (are) poison and horrible for you-- think about it-- nothing but chemicals.

* For sweetening food and beverages-- buy Agave Nectar or GRADE B maple syrup. I've been told the only 2 things that are truly okay to consume. Honey is poison.. think about it-- it's bee vomit -- a waste product! (gross, huh?) As I understand it -- even the native Americans wouldnt consume it-- they would put it on cuts and injuries since it's an antiseptic (tastes great though unfor).

* Stay away from Fast Food Places.. Subway is pretty much the only thing that I will do (only in a pinch) and you have to really watch it there as well!

* Drink LOTS of water, more than you think you need..

* I gave up Beef, Chicken, Pork.. anything with legs ( not a moral issue with me, just wanted to be healthier). I only eat seafood now. It's amazing how much better I have felt in the last 18 months since doing so.

* Eat lots of vegetables or get a Juicer. I have one of those Jack LaLane models & It's pretty amazing (I saw where Costco is selling them now!) One of the best $100 I ever spent & You will never want to drink bottled juice again ( which is bascilly overprocessed sugary & salty preservative crap). The darker in color the veggie, the better

When it comes to bread-- Eat only WHOLE Grain. Whole wheat is kind of crap compared to the alternative. Multi-Grain is better.. but the label needs to say WHOLE grain. Just think.. colors vs white.. stay away from White food... flour, rice. potatoes.. Sweet Potatoes-- (without a ton of butter and marshmallow!haha) is an amazing fibre rich food.

* If you must have pasta--look for Brown Rice Pasta if your market doesnt have it.. places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's does.. and it's CHEAP. Looks kinda like whole wheat but I find it cooks much softer and has the same mouth-feel as regular, not the gritty feel of whole wheat. I can't tell the difference, & your body doesnt have to deal with the wheat issue in digesting it.

If you drink (alcohol).. Just know that most beverages are pretty high in calories. I can kill a bottle of red wine in a couple hours.. That's 1000calories!.. I think I've come to the conclusion that Vodka-- with club soda and a slice of something and Mic Ultra are probably the two lowest.

Okay--- that's a few things I do.. Hope it helps anyone looking for some tips... They work for me at least!
    [2C]

Oh yeah, forgot to add-- One day a week or whenever you feel like you can spare the calories-- BLOW IT OUT and have something HORRIBLE For you. My cheat/vice is ice cream.. I mean we gotta live, right?

15. hsuehwhite

hsuehwhite New Member

Congratulations CarNutCase! I've lost 27 lbs and my partner has lost 31 lbs since the new year. We count calories, control portion size and have started exercising. Remember anything we take on has it's ups and downs. Even things like camping. Don't give up. Hang in there! Try new foods and activities! And follow everything that DCSinVegas said. Keep up the great work!

16. Sweeden72

Sweeden72 New Member

Awesome job on the weight loss, I know how hard it is.

I'm 31 and 336#. I've fought with my weight my entire life. When I was younger people used to call me Little Tommy Lasorda (before he lost all the weight). Lo carb/no carb works and it works for a reason. If you get a chance, pick up a copy of Why we get fat and what to do about it by Gary Taubes. First off, it's not a traditional diet book. Its more like a survey course on the last 50 years of human nutrition.

17. CarNutCass

Thanks for the tips.

18. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Well, it looks like other people are in the same boat I found myself in earlier this year. 6'2" and tipped the scales at 275. I took a blood test with my physical and it turned out that I had high cholesterol. In short, a disaster waiting to happen. I started eating breakfast (oatmeal) and limit lunch to an apple or two and an orange, with some almonds. At dinner I am not starving so I can easily limit myself to one plate of food. No snacks, pop, butter eggs or fast food. To this point I have lost about 15 pounds and am awaiting results of the latest blood test to see if the cholesterol is down. Best of luck to the rest of you on your weight loss journey, I plan on continuing with mine.
    MR

19. KathyB

KathyB New Member

Congrats to all of you who have lost weight (and quit smoking - I did that 3721 times before it finally stuck in 2000).

I have also recently lost 40 pounds "simply" by cutting out sugar. And I do mean any and all sugar - I limit to around 6g a day so that means cutting fruits and certain veggies, too - but for me, sugar was the key. I haven't exercised a bit (although I always plan to). Turns out that if you watch your sugar, your carb intake plummets as well since they tend to go hand-in-hand.

I've found sugar-free almost-everything online (including PEEPS - yes, PEEPS!!) and those Atkins-brand shakes and bars can be found online MUCH cheaper than the grocery store. I buy in bulk - there is a cupboard in my kitchen that looks like a diet store. [:D]

My next goal is to (exercise and) start cutting out the sugar-free things because they are nothing but chemistry experiments and I really would like to eat more stuff with ingredients I can pronounce.

20. Shamrockmommy

Shamrockmommy New Member

Great job, keep it up! I am on the STAC (second time around club!) of atkins, into week 3, extending induction and down 6 lbs, but it's better than slowly creeping up.
    I'm an average girl, 34, and my weight has been goin gup and up and up steadily. It's now or never.
    I am also a non-celiac gluten intolerant and sugar does a number on me, causing skin rash/inflammation, racing heart, brain fog, insomnia. NOT FUN. The stuff is like a drug for me and I am glad I'm off it. My b'day was friday and I did have cake, the frosting was wonderful, the cake was not that good and I regretted it afterwards. It's now Monday and I am still out of ketosis :( but continuing on.

I'm going to try that muffin, sounds good!
    Thank you for sharing your story!