The Fat-Man Plan

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by CarNutCass, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Sweeden72

Sweeden72 New Member

That's one of the things both my dr and the book I just finished said. Basically, if it's white ( sugar, flour, potatoes, etc...) don't eat it. Period. Sugar is like a drug, it stimulates the same part of the brain as nicotine and cocaine. At least that's what my Dr says.

2. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

58 lbs. lost at this point. May 18, 2011.

3. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Congrats, keep going.

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I keep looking for the "Like" button! good job !

5. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

Wow...Congratulations that is quite a bit of weight....keep up the great work you are doing [:D]
    Suzanne

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's awesome, congrats! :)

7. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

58 lb loss is GREAT! Keep up the good work. I'm now down 18 lbs to 256, and my ldl cholesterol dropped 35 points from 157 to 122. I feel better and have more energy, and I'm sure you do too. But....boy do I miss mayo. [:(]
    MR

8. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

My husband has been cutting back on the carbs and has lost 18 lbs in a little over a month it is the only thing that has worked for him. He had to have 4 stints put in almost two years ago and trying to cut back on calories was not working at all. He does get a little bored of the things he can have and we are now trying to work on portion control as that was one of the things that got him into the mess he was in. I am trying to help with the exercise but as I am 100% disabled I am not much help I can walk short distances so we try to do that every night to include walking to the store that is just across the street from our house instead of driving and we got him a exercise bike to ride and he will ride that everyday while watching the news. Congrats Car Nut and I look forward to being able to say my husband has lost 51 lbs

9. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

Does anyone have any low carb recipes to share ?? My wife just started this regimen, and is doing well, but out of low carb ideas for breakfast and dinner..thanks, Wolfie

10. baglady201

baglady201 Hippy chick since 1959

Congrats! I too am too big and it is affecting my health. Diabetes friendly eating has helped me lose from 430 lbs to 386lbs Since Christmas.

11. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Last year I lost 70 lbs. plus, low to no carbs. This year down 15 and near my goal. congrats to all who try to lose some. I feel great and my doc thinks I look great . Now to keep it off.......

12. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That fantastic! Congrats

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I've been talking of loosing weight myself, but my DS talked me into going to Philmont Scout Ranch in 2013 for a 12 day 80-100 mile backpacking trip. Well, that was the straw that broke the camels back. It was time for me to loose some weight and get fit.

I am currently on Weight Watchers an have lost 11 pounds!

CarNutCass, Good for you!!! If what you are doing works for you then stick with it. I to find the walking routine a little boring, but I look into the future and see myself backpacking in some really nice back country and keep at it!

14. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I've been losing slowly but steadily. I decided on a lifestyle change, and so I am permanently changing my eating habits.

Some simple examples;
    No pop, except the odd diet, but for the most part, water, Vegetable juice, or the occasional glass of milk (and in my cereal).
    No "white" starches; brown rice, multigrain breads and pastas.
    Smaller portions.
    No junk food (occasional low fat popcorn). Snack on fruit.
    Fewer baked goods in general.
    More veggies , more salads.

I do allow myself a nice meal out every once in a while.

I did do treadmill for a while, now I just walk when I can, and I do 8 flights of stairs to my office every morning. I don't recommend stairs unless your knees are in good shape, mine are fine.

I lost 40 lbs last year, and 7 lbs so far this year. My goal is to lose another 16 lbs this year, and be at 200 lbs even, which isn't bad for someone who is 6' tall.

15. top magoo

top magoo New Member

great job on all the weight loss by all of you.

i was talking with a co-worker this morning about a dieting philosophy and someone else basically already said something we discussed. give yourself a day to indulge... you'll be much more likely to stick with it than if you totally quit 100% of good stuff.

also, starting to diet completely cold-turkey makes little sense too. you didn't gain all the extra pounds in a few months, you shouldn't expect to lose it all in a few months either. start your diet with a 1 day "on diet", 3 days "off diet" for 2 weeks, then move it to 2 days "on diet" and 2 days "off diet" for a couple of weeks, etc... until you ease yourself into an easier transition. eventually, when you're "on diet" 100% of the time, you've established a healthy program. sort of like preparing to run a marathon, you don't start off running 26 miles, you ease yourself into it until you make it a way of life.

one more thing, don't think you'll never have ice cream, cookies, pie, etc again... just be aware of the damage that type of food can do to your diet.

16. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

here's a thread I can relate to. Congrats everyone on your weight loss. The bad news is I found it. I retired in '04 and
    have put on over 100 lbs since then. Luckily I have 2 good doctors at the VA that are working with me on weight loss and my diabetis. Besides the problems I have that I won't bore you with I now have arthritis in both knees. Because I can hardly walk or kneel down and tire easily, I'm wondering if I have to give up camping and fishing. I am always thinking of things to try to make camping easier. I have received ideas and help from this site and am very greatful.
    Since I can't kneel down, my next mod will be putting on Bal stabilizers, so I can raise and lower them with a drill.

I know how hard this struggle is and I wish you all the best.

17. RkyMountainRose

RkyMountainRose Member

PLEASE share any WW recipes that are also camping friendly! I've been doing WW for about two months. I've only lost 6 pounds, though. Frustrated, but determined!

18. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

I suppose I should have been updating this thread....sorry. My weight loss slowed in the 3rd quarter of 2011 but as the weather has warmed I'm trying to be more active and get things rolling again.

19. iapaint4fun

iapaint4fun Camping with small daughter and my mom? Popup time

Low carb suggestions:
    Breakfast:
    Egg with fresh fruit
    Fresh fruit with plain yoghurt and honey, ground flax on top
    Omelet with veggies
    Grapefruit with cheesy eggs
    Pork chop with fruit

Dinner:
    fish and asparagus
    Chicken and salad
    Beef and steamed broccoli
    After -- bowl of fruit

Snack
    Hummus and carrots
    Cheese and fruit
    Celery and peanut butter

I eat whole grains, and very small portions of pasta, lots of clean meat, grilled/sauteed/broiled veggies, fruit as fill in. I lost 20 pounds a few years ago, maintained, and have lost another 17 pounds over the last year. Long-term strategy is what I'm working for.

Exercise -- Sometimes, yes, it is boring. I walk with a friend. I walk with my child. I bike with my child and tow her along. I call people and walk. I drag out the DVDs and do them when I'm motivated. I hike in the summer while camping, I work hard outside in my yard when it's nice, I DIY my house when I can.

I write it all down. That's my own personal key -- seeing what I'm eating and doing makes all the difference for me.

20. baglady201

baglady201 Hippy chick since 1959

This is so encouraging. I started cutting out the carbs due to diabetes, and I have lost about 45 lbs since Jan, recently gained about 10 back, but I'm not gonna beat myself up over it. Nicer weather means getting out more. I love my breads and potatoes too, and the whole grain is costly, so I get the cheap wheat. I also found plain yogurt doubles for sour cream, and boil a head of cauliflower and you can mash it like taters! And cut out soda, I drink green tea, Arizona diet w/ginsing is my favorite, with diet snapple peach coming in second. Keep us posted with your progress