The Future of our National Parks

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Ted S., Oct 2, 2013.

1. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

In most agencys, IT people are not defined as meeting the emergency or exempt status.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

2. kpic

kpic New Member

According to my mother, $30 a month was living high. [;)]
    She felt sorry for people who lived in the cities because her family had dirt to grow food and cities had concrete. I have no clue how they lived, but they did.

When I read they are putting canvas on Mt Rushmore, it was the most childish vindictive thing I have seen.

At least until tomorrow. [:D]

3. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

That Ken Burns series about the National Parks is a must see. Thank heaven that those people had some foresight and cared about the future. Wouldn't happen today. The whole thing makes me furious!!!!!!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

4. WarMovies

WarMovies New Member

My view of this runs contrary to the prevailing thoughts of the day. Many have said this shutdown is happening because politicians aren’t doing their jobs or at least doing not doing their jobs correctly. Rather, I believe this is a natural consequence of politicians doing their jobs within the workings of our constitution. Oliver Wendell Homes (former supreme court justice) once said that a constitution “..is made for people of fundamentally differing views… “. That’s what we have and have always had in this country. Differing views as to what we should fund and how it should be funded. Our whole system of government is setup up on the premise of divided government. Its amazing anything ever gets passed into law when you really think about it. The process is laden with obstacles along the way that impedes anything happening quickly or easily. Three branches of government with one branch able to say no even if the other two say yes. Two houses in the legislative branch and both need to agree before the president has the choice of veto or signature. Its always been this way as this is how the founders arranged things and did so for a reason. Additionally, there are no requirements upon any branch to agree with the other. As to our National Parks they will be open just as soon as this shutdown gets resolved. Since 1977 there have been 17 shutdowns. The last one being 17 years ago. Doing the math on that tells us between 1977 and 1996 there was almost a shutdown per year. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky to have had such a long period of time without a shutdown. For those of you pondering the thought of this never ending just know that the longest of these shutdowns lasted 21 days. Since neither party is on a mission to rid this nation of its parks once this does come to an end our parks will be open for business just like always. Its just going to require some patience for self government to work itself to resolution.

5. CharlieTN

CharlieTN New Member

Unfortunately you have hit the nail on the head. It's a political game with us as the pawns.

6. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Very good book and precisely my point behind the Thread. Could it be that the authors point is seeing some legitimacy?

The Parks seemed so sacred at least in my families older generations. Now I almost feel as if Congress shut them down as if their perception was that they are inconsequential in respect to the "grand scheme of things."

Yet in my mind they are vital for what they are, and what they stand for. There are plenty of things to cut before we cut the things that make us America the Beautiful.

7. monarchwings87

monarchwings87 New Member

I agree that the American public voted their way into this mess, but I also think that the people who want to be a congressman or president for the right reasons are too smart to run for the position. I think if they stripped government officials of their high salaries, limited congress' number of terms, and made them live paycheck-to-paycheck like we do, not only would the government save money, but they may have a better perspective on being servants of the people and knowing what we really want, being protectors of our rights and freedoms, and not use the government to make people dependent upon it because they think they are above us all. After all, IMHO, the government is there to protect the people, not provide for the people, right? We need decent people to run for office, not people who make a career out of taxpayers money while doing absolutely nothing! When I vote for someone, I want to be proud of what that person stands for, not just vote for tweedle-dee because he's slightly better for our country than tweedle-dum. If that makes any sense. I wonder if these people even care about the national parks, I mean, they have enough money to vacation in Dubai! How do we make these people see what they are stripping us of when they don't appreciate it themselves? [:!]

8. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

wow wow wow. congress did not shut down the parks. the pres. sent the order out that they will all be closed. what happens after that is called negotiations to which the pres. says the terrorist repubs he wont talk to. till they come around is what I heard.

9. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

If you really want to know what's going on, read the posts at Coyote Blog. http://www.coyoteblog.com/ He operates ~100 Federal CGs in Arizona.

Caution - it'll make you angry....

10. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

Great link, thanks.

It's pathetic the lengths our government will go to ensure pain is applied to Joe Citizen to get what they want from us. Roll over and we'll give you access to what you already own...

Why are police, fire, schools, and seniors always the first thing on budget cut lists? (This is rhetorical) so they can ensure enough pain is felt by Joe and Jane Public.

11. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

True, but if a website is already created and needs no updates, the only costs are electricity and network access.

12. steved

steved New Member

One of the reasons they close early is because they don't need anything to really operate, and therefore those people that run them are not considered essential. Its easy to just shutter them, because there is no problems that develop doing so...its not like someone turns Old Faithful on every day at 7AM, and its not like the wildlife will starve without the Park Service.

I don't think its that they are ignored, its just an easy thing to shutter...

13. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Modern websites need a team of people to babysit the entire spiderweb of info. They are built to pull/ collect information.
    Example: The Census website pulls data from other servers that are data servers. The data servers are programed to have updates at certain times, example the weekly jobs report from BLS, if the new set of data is missing them that is when problems happen.
    Rather then having to triage the website when they some back to work, it is less time consuming to place it in hibernation and slowly bring it back to life.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

14. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

The post on this thread are wonderful and show a diverse of opinions, but we are all in agreement, that things need to be corrected in Washington. I believe that there is enough outcry at this point in the country, that if elections were next week, there would be a lot of our elected officials out of work and new ones to replace them.
    I think it is a good idea, BUT, as long as the new ones have the same perks as current, things will be the same in a few short years. As someone posted earlier, we need to strip the position of all its perks and let them work for the same wages and benefits that we do.
    Unfortunately, WE, as the voting public have let this all happen by not making them accountable to us!!
    Thanks for the soapbox but this is my [2C]

In keeping on topic, someone posted this on FB and I think it fits.
    http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/10/02/shutdown-white-house-ordering-privately-run-privately-funded-parks-to-close/

15. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

It's a good thing we don't have Federal golf courses. "He" would not be able to play if they were shut down. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

16. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

We do, most are at Air force bases thou.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

17. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

And now they are making him pay for the barricades...

18. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Barry-cades [LOL]

How can the future be anything but bleak when a bunch of lawyers ignore their fiduciary responsibility? I see more 'programs' to fix it!

19. EK41

EK41 Member

As far as the future of our national parks, I'm in favor of keeping them as rustic and primitive as possible. This coyote blog many keep referring to, I take with a grain of salt. This guy is eluding that the closure of the NF is due to the President and the Attorney General. It is possible, but I could take it more seriously if he supported these claims rather than just eludes the reader to believe that it is. It is kind of interesting how there is never a mention of Sec Vilsack and his role. Also this guy does have an agenda of his own. He doesn't just want to lease recreation areas, he wants full control over public lands. As I said, I think the NF and national parks should be as rustic and primitive as possible. The zip lines and water slides need to stay outside the parks.

20. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I also believe our national parks are our treasure and need to remain open and as primitive as possible-withourt zip lines waterslides etc. If you need that kind of thing go to a theme park. I do the majority of my camping at Hoosier National Forest. It is just beautiful there and I feel a closeness to nature. I start to relax the moment I get out of the truck. I will always try to support our national & State parks