The IDT lift system

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by pkwt, Aug 12, 2013.

1. pkwt

pkwt New Member

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 2005 Coachmen 1272ST popup and after poking around the Internet a bit, including the previous posts on this site, I discovered that there was a safety retrofit on the IDT lift system that it came with. I don't think my camper was fitted with the add-on clutch mechanism that was part of the upgrade, although it does have the round crank socket rather than the square one. There is no sticker on the bumper indicating that the upgrade was done. I called Viking and was told that no records exist anymore of the upgrades that were performed and there seems to be amazingly little information on the web about the IDT lift mechanism and its operation. Does anyone have any pictures of the add-on clutch and its location, or a picture of the part that fails that prompted the recall on the lift? I have a machine shop, so if it is a matter of replacing a broken part with a better one, that's not a problem. If you have pictures or diagrams of the lift mechanism itself and a disassembly prodedure for the master shaft I would greatly appreciate if you could post them.

2. MT Camper

MT Camper New Member

I can't take pictures tonight but the brake added is located at bumper height just at the rear of the camper and just past the sprocket. I have a two peice black plastic cover (a top half and a bottom half) that is located at the rear and goes around the sprocket & shaft that goes under your camper to raise the top. On the top black plastic it states "Brake Assembly" or something like that. This lower shaft is chain driven by the top gear that is up higher and has the round opening where you crank the camper up. If no one else responds I'll take pictures and get them posted here maybe tomorrow.

3. pkwt

pkwt New Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I will probably end up taking out the master tube and having a look inside it. When I do, I'll post pics and disassembly instructions for those interested, plus any fixes I come up with.

4. MT Camper

MT Camper New Member

Sorry I did not get pictures posted, I didn't get home till after dark. Will try tomorrow.

5. MT Camper

MT Camper New Member

Top is back of camper with spare tire on right, next is bottom of camper at bumper, next is side view of camper and last is brake assembly notice on black plastic 2 peice cover where brake is just under the camper.

Hope this gives you some info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pkwt

pkwt New Member

Thank you for posting the pics! As I suspected, I don't have the brake on mine. I got a pair of roof supports from Forest River so at least I can prevent the whole thing from coming down on my head if it does fail. I'll probably tear into it sometime in the next few months and as I stated, I'll post a step by step with pictures.

7. wely

wely New Member

pkwt, were you able to take the master tube apart and fix it, I am on the same boat now but my camper dosen't go up on the front and the master tube looks sealed to change any parts.
    any help would be great.
    Thanks

8. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Here some pic of the inside of the IDT and the camper i had[​IMG][​IMG][/img][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/img][/img]

9. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Here some more pic[​IMG][​IMG][/img]

10. wely

wely New Member

NO FIX??

11. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Wwll try again[​IMG]

12. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

There is no fix for the systems you have to order a hole new master tub and it comes with all new springs i did not see any thing wrong as to why it failed[​IMG] and this what it look like under the camper i did see were someone replaced the IDT with Goshen Lift systems they called Goshen they were able to get a new mater tube and a wrench to og on the front cheaper than the IDT.[​IMG]

13. Freddie

Freddie New Member

So were they able to retrofit the IDT to the Goshen system by utilizing the already existing spring tubes and arms of the original system and ONLY replacing the master tube with Goshen's push springs cable assembly system. Again, I just want to make sure that they kept everything else intact and only utilized the master tube of the Goshen system and added a winch and pulley is that correct?