The loud ones

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Eskimorob, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

You know who I’m talking about.

Last year while camping in a nearly empty campground, I’m camped across a lake inlet from some of the loudest campers I’ve ever seen. Not music or horns, but yelling and arguing all the time. All day long, it was like they had no volume control, but they quieted down at night thankfully. The only time they weren’t yelling at each other is when they took the boat out, but maybe they were just out of earshot. I think the neighbors had enough after a couple of days of that nonsense and host asked them to leave.

Then last week another volume control deficient family moves into the next site over. This time though it was more natural. A family with three pre-teen/early-teen aged boys. We all know how brothers can go at it, but these kids would start up at first light and continue all day. I’m fine with this kind of ruckus, to a point, it’s all part of the family dynamic. The parents were oblivious to the constant yelling/whining/“I’m telling mom or dad” going on and never tried to stop it. Sheesh what a nightmare. It was a blessing when the kids went down to the lake to swim, at least the commotion moved 100 yards away.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

they are used to shouting in order to be heard above the TV

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

I think that the larger the group, the louder they have to get to be heard over each other? (I experienced this over July 4 weekend and other holiday weekends). Same thing happens in restaurants all the time. But, when you're taking about teenagers, that's another thing altogether, lol. Totally different level of noise!

The issue becomes how to find a group who likes to camp the same way YOU do? I don't know if this is possible unless you're boon-docking or camping on private land... or seeking out others like on this forum? But I feel your pain!!! It's nice to book outside of usual camping times to get in some quiet time. Otherwise, it's just a matter of making the most of it! Try not to focus on the noise and go about your day, I guess? (This is kind of what I do about the ringing in my ears (tinnitus), which is constant and annoying... so you just kind of have to tune it out).

4. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Agree with everything you said Chloe. I don’t focus on the noise and I do enjoy my time. And true, this a product of camping at a large, well used family campground, but it is one of my favorites. Just wish folks had some sense of others around them but again it’s natural and is part and parcel of camping with kids. If it really bugged me I’d be boondocking.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I feel your pain. Stayed at one campground a couple pulled in with a massive TT. The woman stepped out yelling yelling the second she stepped out of the car. It continued while he was trying to back the monster up. It never stopped until they pulled out three days later. No kids involved, those I can deal with, I hear it on a regular basis. The adults though, one would have thought they knew better or try and keep it amongst themselves vrs sharing it with the entire campground.

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My family always got loud when arguing. Unfortunately that happened a lot. One sibling got loud to bully you into backing down. The other two of us got loud to hold our own against her.

Over the years, I have become very conscious of voice levels. So I try hard to keep my voice down. The easiest way has been to only camp with folks I get along with.

Chloe likes this.
  7. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

Yeah, I get you there... just have some consideration for those around you. It's not so hard, really.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have found that most people will let annoyances slide IF you make the effort to reduce it. When the kids are screaming or the dog is barking, if you simply make the effort to tell them to quiet down, most people will tell you "no bother". But if you sit there ignoring it while they go on and on, those same people will shoot daggers at you.