the one thing i hate about my popup

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by Indiobravo, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

i have an old popup. it needed some work to get going again. i've been at it since february. but i haven't regretted any of it - not the gross job of replacing mildewed water hoses, repairing structural issues that wouldn't allow the door to close properly, cleaning mold off the canvas, sewing new curtains to replace the nasty mice bitten original ones, etc.....

but there is one thing i hate about my popup: [​IMG]

This faucet! I'm hooked up to city water and the sink is virtually useless. it's messy. i am washing dishes and hands but it feels like such a half-a__ job and totally frustrating.

replacing this faucet has now jumped up to the very top of my to-do list. it would be easier to just go to the CG faucet i hook my water hose to.

got any one thing that drives you crazy about yours?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    nectarsis, kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I can't get to the fridge when it is down. The galley folds over in front of it so I have to pop up in order to load it and then unload when I get home.

3. Jason212

Jason212 Member

Mine is the same way, to get to the fridge I have to pop it up enough to lift the galley. I have only taken it out once since it is new to me, but when you brought that up I realized to load my fridge I will have to lift it.

Kelli McDowell likes this.
  4. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time! Diamond Supporting Member

Well my wife says, "it just doesn't "pop-up". There is more to it than the name infers.

I don't have too many issues. I don't like the location of the drain valves. My coleman had them dangling about 18 inches away from the edge under the frame. When those plastic valves broke I replace them with an elbow and routed the drains to where i could get to them easily. Still don't like the water spewing around me in take down and set up.

Fridge in the back sucks too.

5. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Nothing bothers me. Got a highwall

LilRed, Milemaker13, steve7-4 and 2 others like this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

we removed our sink and water faucet, no regrets.

gardenheather likes this.
  7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I have the same hand pump. What don’t you like about it ?

8. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

i can't do stuff with the water on. it's hard to wash a plate properly with one hand. heck, i can't wash my hands properly with one hand. :-/

9. McSkippy

McSkippy Active Member

That's because you're missing the little lever that holds the handle down. We have the same pump, but we dry camp, and only use the sink for washing hands and brushing teeth. It works great.

generok likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Personally there isn't much that bugs me other than the leaking roof. Then again I don't often camp with utilities and often cook and clean outside. I wish I had a freezer vrs a fridge. But camping in bear country I would want to keep all food in the tow vehicle anyway. Now with that said, my current camper has everything I would need if I choose to use it. My family on the other hand needs all the fancy stuff and their gripes don't match mine. ;) They are far happier now than the bare bones Jayco I used to have. So that is a plus in my book. :cool:

Fish N Farm and Indiobravo like this.
  11. Michael J Keele

Michael J Keele New Member

PaThacker:
    I also have a highwall - 2006 Flagstaff 25SC - with the slideout dinette. I can't load/unload the fridge without opening the trailer and pulling out the slide.
    Looking at the 2007 Jayco 1206 (in your signature) floorplan, it looks similar. Can you access the fridge with the popup closed?

12. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

We have a HW, Fleetwood Avalon. Love that thing. Yes there's little things that annoy me. As dh always, it's not a matter of making me happy, it's matter of making me less unhappy.
    That all being said, some of the things that annoy with my pup are the storage in the kitchen counter. There is a TON of wasted space and just plain stupid layout of cupboard openings and doors.
    I don't even mind that I can't get to my fridge without popping the top. We even put our huge ice chest in the pup and can't get to that either with it closed. We have a smaller ice chest that we keep in the tv.
    Feels weird complaining about this, but b/c it's hw, the back bunk is really hard to get into. So much so, that dh actually made a staircase for me. That thing is solid and heavy. So doesn't quite work the way I wanted it to and completely blocks the bathroom door, oven and end cabinet and drawer. B/c of that, we end up not taking the bathroom door and then have to use the shower curtain to provide privacy. It's also janky to get in and out of the bathroom. We're going to try using the front bunk and climbing on the couch to get into the bunk and see how that works. Then won't need to bring the staircase and can go back to using the bathroom door.
    And, for whatever reason, Fleetwood thought just having one step in and out of the camper was good enough. Never mind that each step was over 12 inches. Dh, bought a two-step and replaced the original. Much nicer and now less than 8 inches for each step.
    Other than that, not much else annoys me.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  13. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I joyfully removed the hand pump and put in a 12 V pump. Best mod ever. Also added a laundry faucet now have a decent size and clearance! 2587FF42-60DE-46E7-9BD0-B143B81AC00F.jpeg 2587FF42-60DE-46E7-9BD0-B143B81AC00F.jpeg 02B7EEA3-A73F-43DA-BACE-31EFE364D8C6.jpeg 3448A8BD-DAD0-4309-B7B9-929303BCD8B4.jpeg

14. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

I had the same pump faucet and hated it as well. I removed it and installed a piece of wood where it was (put wood over hole, trace cutout, cut with jigsaw, glue, wood fill, sand, varnish). I added an electric pump over the same location, switch, 0.5 GPM aerator/restrictor, and bathroom faucet (low profile to clear under beds). Hot is pump side, cold is city water side. After install found out pump pulsated water. Added accumulator tank and played around with psi till pump stopped pulsating. Perfect now! I also added a countertop soap dispenser which I highly recommend. Probably my second favorite mod to date (after adding a/c).

Indiobravo, Michael J and Johnklee like this.
  15. Chris thor

Chris thor New Member

Hi all
    I have a 2008 Fleetwood Niagara. I went through the whole interior. Sewed new box cushions and curtains. Redid cabinets, installed new flooring etc.... what I don’t like and hoping someone has a suggestion is the black and grey water drains. Way, way to low to the ground. I can’t see how a portable poop tank would work since the hose coupler is higher than the drain outlet. Not a problem at the dump station but we camp where there are no utilities etc... for 10 days at a time which limits my lady to only using the toilet ( 9 gallons ) at night. Me using is out of the question. Does anyone have a fleetwood popup with the same situation and have found a solution. Other than that I love the Niagara. A3B8F148-0B4F-4925-A7A4-0C7E53F98C56.jpeg 507A4E71-03F3-4826-8CF0-0DE4871D7241.jpeg

16. gardenheather

gardenheather Member Silver Supporting Member

Ours pumps if we're not hooked up to the cg water supply, runs steady if we are hooked up. But it's such a small stream of water and such a small, shallow sink it's just about useless. We're going to be modifying ours, hopefully soon.

17. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I have a Jayco Select 12HW highwall. You have to raise the roof. Like all slide out pups. 3 cubic fridge with freezer. Controls are inside on fridge face. Can’t even turn on without going inside the pup. I don’t care. I can Boondock with ice pops. 2C8F11CC-B532-4A4E-A074-CA25D42442A9.gif

18. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

I love our popup, except for two things- the propane refrigerator works poorly (despite being perfectly level and maintained), and the pup exterior door likes to open by itself during the night, due to frame flexing.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Rempop likes this.
  19. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Actually there are some slideouts that have the fridge accessible without raising the roof, but they are rare. I think Forest River or Starcraft made one. I recall seeing one when I was searching but it was out of my budget at the time.

20. CajunMan

CajunMan Active Member

My Forest River Rockwood 1850 is technically accessable without raising the roof and sliding out the bunk, but you would have to belly crawl to get there