the one thing i hate about my popup

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by Indiobravo, Aug 17, 2020.

1. aan1129

aan1129 Member

I’ve recently decided our fridge is now our pantry. It never gets very cold and is also not accessible since we have the flip over galley. (2016 Forest River MAC). So now I store coffee, tea, cocoa, peanut butter, mustard, spices, etc. in it which gives me more storage in the cabinets.

2. bagger 3520

bagger 3520 New Member

I too must raise the roof to load fridge. On the trip I bring a cooler for beverages. At the end of the trip the cooler is close to being empty. Upon leaving the campground I transfer the fridge contents to the near empty cooler. A quick cleaning and its ready to go for the next time. One less raising of the roof when I get home.

zak99b5 likes this.
  3. MyName

MyName Active Member

My pop up flexes so much I had to add a custom latch to keep it closed once the pup is up. :(

4. MyName

MyName Active Member

I also had a pump facet that was useless. I added a 12 V pump and a waterproof switch that I can use my knee to turn on and off. I only draw water from my 10 gal reservoir.

5. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

My pup had serious flex. once the bunk end was pulled out the flex was so great that the door wouldn't snap in place...
    door-hang-markup2-20200204-436x399.png

...and there was always such a huge gap that there was no chance of the door closing properly.
    door-marked-436x588.png

i figured out that the walls and floors had serious detachment issues:

door-twisted-536x722.png

I couldn't do the full work required to properly fix the issue and came up with a patch fix to hold it all together:
    door-fix-15-cabling-done-1-20200516.jpg

It works, and doesn't look too horrible now:
    door-fix-19-done-20200518_121235.jpg

Attached Files:

MyName, Andy G., CajunMan and 2 others like this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I dislike the Cool Cube 5000 air conditioner system in our 2018 Aliner Scout. The AC vents and cold air return are side by side, so what ever cool air is sent out is sucked right back in the return. It's worse when you pull the bed out and form an AC cave. AC senses "room" temperature in the return air, by the AC ducts, so it doesn't know the camper is hot. Unit is under the back bed, so you are sleeping on top of something that sounds like an idling semi on the next site. Since cool air stays low, the camper never cools. We have to run fans at the AC vents to try to push the cool air away from the air return. I drilled big holes in the fire extinguisher holder, by the entry door, to act as a cold air return and covered the factory vent. The uninsulated AC duct hoses condensates and drips into the storage compartment. The AC "filter" is a piece of foam stapled over a hole in plywood. I could go on, but there are so many things wrong with the AC system design and layout.

7. Pmbradley

Pmbradley New Member

The frame on my 1994 Skamper is not as square anymore as it once was . . . door does not latch very well. We just use the little pin on the side that goes through the door frame to keep the door closed.

Andy G. and Rempop like this.
  8. Fishin' Musician

Fishin' Musician New Member

Yes, we have a 2017 Jayco 12SC. The fridge can be accessed and loaded without popping up.
    It has a slide-out dinette and when the half door is opened with the roof down its fully accessible.
    We love it so far.

9. DM27

DM27 New Member

Similar situation. I use a low profile tote and this hose:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3UU2Z2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_W41qFbNJDXV8P

Tote connection is still a bit higher than the output, but the toilet tank is high enough that gravity pushes the bulk of the water into the tote. Then I extend the hose while it's still connected, which lets the remaining water flow into the hose, then lift up the hose near the trailer and let the waste water in the hose flow into the tote.

10. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks awesome and cozy!

11. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

We do that too, LOL!

12. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

That is a great idea!!

13. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

The Rockwood HW277 (and the Flagstaff twin 27KS) can access the fridge without opening the roof. we had one, really liked it and they still make them.

LilRed likes this.
  14. Campgrandma

Campgrandma Member

We learned to bring an empty cooler to unload the fridge and put in our TV so we don’t have to pop up on return home!

Susan Premo likes this.
  15. Marisa Howard

Marisa Howard RisasReno Silver Supporting Member

I took mine out when I replaced the countertop since it had water damage from the faucet. I haven’t fully replaced it yet but doing a swing down RV faucet with a 12v pump system.

Indiobravo likes this.
  16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I don’t know I had 3 12 foot pups. Every trip is pre popup and load and post popup to clean unload. Usually every trip involves breaking it down in the rain. Not accessing fridge is no big deal.