The Parks are Booked. - Where to?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by Jhunt012, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Looking to take a trip around the 24th of October. Of course all the State Parks north of Atlanta seem to be booked on the weekends this month. I will know for next year to book early :). However, does this mean I am out of options?

I know there are several FS campgrounds that are first come- first served that would be great (no hookups is fine with me), but My question is Does anyone have experience driving up to one of these on a Friday afternoon? What are the chances I will get there and there won't be any availability? I might be able to take a Friday off work to get up there Thursday evening or early Friday.

Is anyone willing to share the names of FS campgrounds that they have been to, and liked? We Will be camping with a baby, so the more spread out the sites are the better.

Any other advice regarding planning a trip when all the campgrounds that take reservations are booked? Thanks so much for your time!

We just got our first PUP and want to use it! Thanks!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don't know in your area but around here the first come first serve start to fill up early afternoon around 1-4 around 5 the choicest sites are taken. So if you do go that route get their early. Now I do find that these places don't always fill up fully, but you could be left with some not very best sites. Another option is to look into some private campgrounds in the area however that is usually the start of Halloween weekend at some campgrounds and they would fill up fast if there are any activities.

3. GAPopper

GAPopper New Member

Try this http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/conf/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=10454&actid=29. Favorites are coopers creek , sandy bottoms, Tate branch , Sara's creek, upper chattahoochee and low gap. We are going to Trackrock Campground on the 9th and 10th. It is a beautiful private cg in a valley near Blairsville. They are booked that weekend but have openings the rest of the month. Check out their website and also Facebook page.

4. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

This is great information. Thank you!

5. GAPopper

GAPopper New Member

We just got back from visiting Sandy Bottoms and Tate Branch. There are three campgrounds on the same road. They are about a mile or two apart. These campgrounds are beautiful and right on the river. They are primitive but have vault toilets and also a freshwater pump. We can't wait to go back and camp here. They are just west of Clayton Georgia off Persimmon rd.

6. cham5

cham5 Member

Like GAPopper says, Trackrock is great. Even though it is only about 5 miles from my house, I have still camped there numerous times. This time of year though, most things have been booked for months. The folks at Trackrock are wonderful though. Good luck.

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

8. Babiaca

Babiaca New Member

Have you checked Pine Mountain/FD Roosevelt State Park? It's not north but beautiful. Otherwise I say go Skidaway. I love that park any time of year!