The projects never end!

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by Grandpa Don, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

It seems like every time I take my camper out I find some little thing that I would like to do to it to make it better. The little projects never seem to end. I just got back from a winter/snow camping trip. I camp alone. What I did to my camper this month was clean the mud and dirt from the stabilizer jacks and from the inside floor. I also removed a whole lot of "stuff" that I did not need in the first place. I removed two of the three Propane tanks. I also removed all three 20 degree sleeping bags and bought one "0" degree bag. The second spare tire also came out. Tomorrow I will be going through my cooking utility draw and my storage compartment. I have stuff in there that I put in 3 years ago and have yet to use. I bought some water-proof boots, and some better warmer gloves.

As for the projects, I need to replace and relocate my thermostat. Do they make a wireless digital thermostat? One that I can mount higher up off the floor and can still turn it on and off while still in my sleeping bag? That would be cool!

My solar panel is not permanently mounted. I can move it around to find the best sun. But I need to make a 25 foot inline extension so that I can move it farther from the camper. I'll be working on that soon.

I need to find some kind of brush or scraper to scrape the snow or mud off my boots before going inside.

I plan on installing some old carpet on the floor for some insulation and to keep my feet warmer when I get up in the middle of the night to use the "facility". On this last trip I was camping in 6 inches of snow for 3 of the 5 days I was out there.

I will be adding some wiring from the battery so that I can permanently install my 750 Watt inverter on the inside of the camper instead of connecting it directly on the outside battery when I need to use it.

I'd like to install a small fan in the roof vent. I'm still thinking on how to get 12 volts of power up there.

I need to install a clock so I can tell if it is close enough to sunrise so that I can just wait another hour to get up to use the "facility". No need to get out of that warm sleeping bag twice in an hour.

The list is never ending...

PopUpSteve and neighbormike like this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

To keep the unused stuff from building up, go through everything once a year and remove anything that wasn't used the prior year (tool and emergency supplies excluded).

Instead of installing carpet, get a couple runners. When they get dirty, you can just toss them in the wash. I still have carpet in my clipper and it is a pain to keep clean. I ended up putting throw rugs on top of it.

As for things to do, just keep that list going. I was down to three things left on my list when the burglary happened. Now I have a massive list again.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Every trip I always find something That I want to do, that needs to be fixed, or just cleaned up. I chaulk it up to the nature of owning campers. Every spring when I open the camper, more always seem to surface.
    I use throw rugs on the floor as it’s a ton easier to shake them out vrs needing to wash/clean carpet. Especially as I have dogs. I have Three indoor mats one in front of the door and one in front of each bunk. I also have a polypropylene camp mat and a outdoor door mat that I keep on my stepper door to help keep the mud down. I have a pair of camp shoes I change into and my boots stay in the car or just inside the camper door. If I wasn’t so worried about spiders crawling into the boots they would stay outside under the awning. Can’t help you on the thermostat, but I agree the all time worse thing is having to get out of the toasty sleeping bag into an icy cold camper to turn the furnace on/up. I keep my phone in a see through shoe hanger I cut down to size and added Velcro that I keep on the back bar of the bunk. Can easily reach up and check the time right from the bed. I also bought a small cheap battery powered alarm clock that I keep just on the counter so I can move it around to wherever I may want it throughout the day. Mainly rests on the sill of the camper outside under the awning as most of my day is spent outside.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

6 years with our current trailer, and we still keep playing with storage, and there's always maintenance.
    For us, throw rugs are handier than anything installed - given the grit where we camp, and the lack of interest in taking a vacuum cleaner. Throw rugs are easier to shake out and I can sweep. We did have an indoor/outdoor rug we used briefly as a wall to wall in the Retro, dealing it made me swear never to do anything but throw rugs again. When I forgot to remove the glass turntable from the microwave, and it launched out, shattering all over that rug - let's just say it was not pretty!
    In our Cobalt. we changed to a digital thermostat, and put it on a long cord, with a plug, so it wasn't in the way when we weren't using it. We used it on the counter (sure eliminated the huge temperature swings we had when it was 4" off the floor), but you could certainly put it next to the bed.
    new thermostat.jpg

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Sounds like my list!

6. Grandpa Don

Now that extension on the thermostat I like. I think that is what I'm going to do. Great idea!!!

kitphantom likes this.
  7. Allamakee County

Allamakee County Member

On our last trip out with our little Jayco in October, we finally decided to try out our water heater. We are the 3rd owners and had never bothered to check it out very carefully. Surprise! Somewhere along the line someone had not winterized it and the tank had a big split along the side. So that was fun.

After 3 tries on Amazon we finally got the right tank replacement and my husband installed that a couple of weekends ago. While he was at it he repurposed some fairly useless space into a roll out cabinet for an electric coffee maker. We normally primitive camp and make our coffee on the gas stove, but next summer we plan a trip out to the Tetons where we will stay at a real campground with power and water hookups and so we are preparing to go 5 star on that trip.

Next on the agenda is a rooftop air conditioner which we plan to buy in the spring. Our baby pup is all zipped up for the winter and I look forward to getting it out again when or if this winter ends.

8. Allamakee County

Allamakee County Member

By the way, our last child moved out of the house this summer so I actually had some extra storage space, and before we closed up the camp for the winter I brought everything into the house. The goal is to go through it all carefully over the winter, pare down to what we actually use, and get organized. It may help me get through the long camperless months.

kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Having a to do list is daunting, but at least you 1) can and want to do still
    And 2) have the means to do
    So , its a good thing.

Toedtoes likes this.
  10. Lori Mitzel

Lori Mitzel New Member

Love this! We have a Jayco 806 and need to maximize the space...will also look into rollout drawers as it is hard to bend down and drag stuff out of our "black holes" I call our cupboards.

Allamakee County and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Grandpa Don

In regards to your water heater. I had a similar thing happen to me when I first purchased my pop from its 2rd owner. First, I have only camped in a pay site twice in three years, and I never used the onsite hook-ups when I did. Because I didn't need them and because... they did have any in the first place. My incident evolved Shore water. After about three months of ownership and about 4 short boondocking camping trips, I decided to remove the wobble water pump and install an electric pump. In doing so, I found that the shore water line was not connected to anything. It was just open ended and stuffed in the space where the plumbing was. Had I connected the shore water to the camper and turn the water on, I would have flooded the inside before I could realize it and get it turned off again. It is now connected to my new faucet, but I still have never used shore water.

Allamakee County and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

I was thinking of one of those boot scrapers that they have at entrances to walk in a park, I'm trying to say, very badly, so you dont bring in unwanted seeds into the park, know what I mean, I have no idea what they're called, sorry. We are going to try and find one . My boots are terrible. We have a neat tool that we got from volunteering at an SNA. No name at all on it. Sorry. If I find what it is called, I'll write a post.

13. Grandpa Don

Good idea! I was also thinking about one of those heavy duty brushes. Something like this mounted to the step.
    https://www.amazon.com/Economy-Util...id=1606252137&sprefix=brushes,aps,225&sr=8-30

14. McSkippy

McSkippy Active Member

15. Grandpa Don

McSkippy likes this.
  16. Rocket Don

Rocket Don Member

We used these before entering a clean room facility at NASA.

Attached Files:

17. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member

Tell me about the "improvement" projects - never ending.