The right power drill to raise my pop up roof

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Balone42, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Coachmen 2007

Coachmen 2007 New Member

The kobalt 24 volt drill is very powerful with 650 inch pounds of torque that almost worked on my large roof with a/c. It would raise the heavy roof fast but went in overload mode.. might work for many other smaller campers. I would at least try this drill.. I had to go with the kobalt corded 9 amp. That works great

2. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

I just bought a Hitachi corded D13VF drill, rated at 416.6 in lbs torque. I put in the jinnie and tried cranking up the top on my 2003 Starcraft 2410 pup. The top went about half way, then died. I finished it by hand, I guess 416 in lbs is not enough torque to do the job. Does anyone have a specific brand & model number of something that will do the trick?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You mean 416 in/lbs, not ft/lbs. [:O] Your drill, though it's top speed of 850 rpm is way too high, would have easily lifted the roof on my previous 2000 Santa Fe, just as did my DeWalt DW987 which was rated @ 450 in/lbs but that's no guarantee it would lift the roof on any popup that uses a different lift system. Keep in mind that most corded drills aren't rated for torque simply because most don't develop much at all - for that you want a cordless drill, 18 volt to 24 volt. Be aware though that when shopping some manufacturers, DeWalt being one, don't rate their cordless drill torque ratings in inch/lbs but rather MWO (Maxiumum Watts Out) - and explanation is here https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/max-watts-out/13109/ A friend of mine owned a 12' Camplite and even my corded Bosch 1034VSR drill which is unusual in that it's rated at a whopping 767 in/lbs wouldn't lift the roof. These days I own a DeWalt 20 volt DCD785 lithium ion cordless drill, don't recall it's torque rating, but I'm confident it will easily lift the 10' roof on our NTU Resolute. In your case, try a cordless drill but if that doesn't work you may be stuck with cranking your roof manually.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  4. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

I physically am not able to crank my pup any longer. My healing after the heart surgery 11 months ago is going very slowly, my age (70) may be a contributing factor. I read the article on MWO for DeWalt, but I'm still not sure what I need to buy. I guess I need a low speed lithium battery powered 20v cordless drill that can achieve somewhere around 500-550 in lbs of torque. Does that sound about right?

5. GreyFox

That's about right EXCEPT to say there are no guarantees because each lift system is different. I suspect the only way you'll know is to try it, if it doesn't work then return the drill you bought for this purpose. Keep in mind however that even if you use a drill you still have to hang onto it pretty tightly and that does take some effort. Depending on where your lift system crank attaches it might be possible to design a drill support as I did for our Santa Fe so all the force is absorbed by the mount. Here are several pics to illustrate ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Harbor Freight has a 20v Impact Driver that should lift you roof. I use one on my Niagara with an AC on the roof. I need to add that if you don't have AC on the roof and the drill you had did't work your lift system may need some grease & oil.

7. GreyFox

Unless one builds a drill mount as I've described above I wouldn't recommend any drill for this purpose that doesn't come with a torque handle - as far as I can tell this HF drill doesn't. This would be especially important for someone with limited physical ability.

8. jnc

I guess some folks would need the extra handle to avoid twisting their wrist. If it was that much trouble I would add a gear reducer to the Pup than a 5 yr old could do it.

9. GreyFox

My post was in reference to SgtRon who is recovering from heart sugery and who will surely want the least stressful way to lift his popup roof. An alternate solution for him might also be to see if there's a power lift system that could be fitted to his popup.

10. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

I think I've found the right drill. I picked up a Kobalt brushless 2 speed, 650 in lbs of torque, 24v lithium ion battery powered, 1/2" chuck.

11. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

My lift system is a Goshen, pretty straight forward. Thanks Greyfox for the infomation and linked reference materials.

12. GreyFox

Respectable torque rating, good low speed rating, has a torque handle [:D] - I presume the hammerdrill function be disabled so it's operating as just a drill? [?]

13. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

I do have an A/C on the roof and before my heart surgery, I could easily crank it up. I think part of the problem was the drill that I bought was 110vac which uses a brush motor. Tourque was only 416 in lbs, so when the motor slowed to a stop, the brushes fried. My new drill is 24vdc, brushless and 650 in lbs torque. Impact drivers are not recommended, they decrease the life of the lift system.

14. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Yes, drill only, no impact.

15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Orchid likes this.
  16. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

I ended up buying a Kobalt brushless 24v 2-speed drill with 650 in lbs of tourque.

17. Jameswilson

Jameswilson New Member

I tried this with my drill. The drill would spin but the drill adapter would not turn

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We also have a large pup with an a/c on top. We use the same drill exclusively for this purpose. It's kept in our storage compartment. We always came with hook ups so don't require anything cordless.

My DH had a heart attack and heart surgery back in 8/17 and this has literally been a lifesaver. I "can" crank up our roof, but I have to take frequent breaks so it would be a long time if I had to do it. With this drill it goes up in minutes and not a bead of sweat.

19. GreyFox

jnc and Orchid like this.
  20. jnc

Yup I'm with you there. I modded it Tongue jack also. I made my own drill Jennie to fit the Lift crank,Stabs,Tongue Jack & also a Scissor Jack.