The Rotary International Grill - The RIG

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by MiddletownRIRotaryClub, Jul 26, 2020.

1. MiddletownRIRotaryClub

MiddletownRIRotaryClub New Member

I am going to try and keep this thread updated with pictures as we go along, you can also follow along on the club's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/middletownrirotary/).

The short version of the story is that the Rotary Club of Middletown, RI is converting this old Rockwood into a mobile kitchen for our service projects and fundraisers.

This is where we found her in our donor's field.
    [​IMG]

Here she is after I stripped her of her canvas
    [​IMG]

Just about everything in her had issues; but the stove still looks great!
    [​IMG]

More to come as comments to keep this flowing.

neighbormike and kcsa75 like this.
  2. Dan and Becky

Dan and Becky New Member

Way cool idea, I am looking forward to see you converting this into a mobile kitchen. I have never seen a pup used in this way.

3. MiddletownRIRotaryClub

It takes us hours to setup for events with all our grills and tables and the like. Our first trailer will house two Blackstone flat tops, stainless tables with mini-fridges under them to keep meat safe, and a steam table for keeping food warm. If we can find a second donor then we'll do one for food prep and sales as well. :)

The image attached shows one I saw on Facebook for a high school booster club that got us started on this path.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. MiddletownRIRotaryClub

Here she is after one week.
    Inside is gutted pending a dump run for the rotten parts.
    DumpRun.jpg
    Shot of the terrible job done over the years at trying to keep the vent from leaking.
    Around the vent - Before.jpg
    I stripped out all the silicone and other fillers used on the roof, repatched it and put a first coat of sealant on it. More coats to come.
    Holes patched.jpg
    Still have to deal with these corners and the damage underneath, new corner plastic is coming:
    corner.jpg
    Sides have been stripped down ready to be sanded and painted...might skim coat some filler over the rough panels to make it smooth for paint and club branding.
    Sides stripped.jpg

This it for the first week. New corner pieces come for the roof tomorrow so I can start getting her watertight again. Still looking for a deal on LED markers, for some of the other pieces of trim that are cracked, and a new hinge for the front storage. After that it's all finishing the interior so we can mount the equipment!

Tom Jordan likes this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Very cool! Look forward to seeing the progress!

6. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Can't wait to see it. You are moving along quick

7. MiddletownRIRotaryClub

Yep; I'm racing an unknown deadline. It's parked in my driveway in military housing and any day now I will get an email telling me it has to be in the trailer parking area. :) This week's work cleaning up the holes for patching and sanding it all down will slow me down a bit and the bulk garbage pickup to clean out the inside isn't until next Monday. Then begins floor inspection...hopefully something I don't have to replace. :)

Ladiesman likes this.
  8. Dan and Becky

Dan and Becky New Member

That butyl tape at the corners is really shot! Seeing that, I would not hesitate to take another hour's worth of labor and pull the two top pieces of roof trim. Butyl tape is cheap, and easy to put on, and the old tape comes off pretty easy with a scraper. Good insurance against future leaking. Not trying to tell you what you should do here, but I just did all of this on my pup's roof, it was easy. Followed up with a thick bead of dicor on all the remaining seams.
    Man, I love to cook, and it looks like lots of great food could be prepared in that rolling kitchen you showed us. Great inspiration for you guys, your progress is looking great. Keep up the good work.

9. MiddletownRIRotaryClub

Thanks for the guidance, this is a first for all of us so all advice is appreciated. :) Right now we are trying to work with one of the many local boat shops to get the roof rebuilt completely. It's a mix of plywood, scraps, and bad past repairs. Most of the metal is recoverable but everything below it on the back is rotted out. Seems like rebuilding would be easier than trying to repair it.

10. Dan and Becky

Dan and Becky New Member

Great! If they rebuild it, it should be water tight and good to go.