The Shine is Off...

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
Read the article too and I am hoping other first timers had a better first experience. I think she felt the images on social media was going to be everyone’s experience and meet their expectations. Social media tends to leave out the ugly, tough, hard, and expensive parts of rving.

I too am hoping the trend dies down a bit so reservations are easier. But I do think it’s an experience everyone should try at least once. And I wouldn’t want to discourage anyone from experiencing the fun and enjoyment I get from camping.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
Interesting and unsurprising article. I enjoy the hobby of camper maintenance. It's not like car repair where you have to have it done or else you can't get to work. It sits until you have time and a good frame of mind to work on it. I love the amazing engineering and efficiency the popup. People also need to know, "it doesn't just popup!"

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Seeing more campers "pop up" for sale recently locally; 1 of the wife's pals couldn't talk her hub into waiting 2 weeks a couple yrs. ago & grabbed a pull behind that didn't match what they were looking for, now they're waiting for things to calm down so they don't lose their backside on a trade in or sale. Know 2 fams that have new $$$$$$$$$ campers, both have been in the shop more than in a campground. Learned the hard way years ago to do exhaustive research & ask around & hope for the best...

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Interesting article. RV is not for everyone but part of me is thinking she was camping in the wrong places and in the wrong camper. However the requirement of Wi-Fi is huge limitation as is the size of the camper she got. Then again she also Went In with the wrong thinking and mindset. No doubt about it Rv life can be expensive And something is always going to break On the camper. Campsites are very small in some places and sure as heck not wide open like the camper flyers portray. Well they can be if you give up on cell service, no Wi-Fii and maybe even needing to give up on electricity. My aunt calls camping where someone pays a fortune to live like the homeless person. she Isnt entirely wrong. camping means You do need to keep an open mind and even more do need to give up on creature comforts. I was camping since I was a Brownie Girl Scout. Tent camping, backpacking, occasionally a bug filled cabin. So I have Trouble wrapping my head around how the author got this grandiose view of camping. I still camp because the views can be absolutely lovely if you eliminated all the outside world distraction. After a lot of work hiking, setting up, nothing better then to kick your feet up and Be able to enjoy the view, and listen to the wildlife. I camp to see new places on a cheaper budget. then Again I camp primarily at state and national parks. not Some fancy campground that offers a ton of amenities you have to pay for.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
The engineer in me finds that story pretty ridiculous, as it's just my nature to think through all the contingencies before doing something major. We didn't buy a popup for several years as I didn't have a good place to store it. When I finally found a place that I could store it off-site for $12 a month, I jumped. Having already tent camped a bunch I was familiar with how much the actual camping would cost, and a popup allowed us to keep camping at those kinds of places.

I did have a little surprise when the storage place told us after a couple years they were going to sell out, and all the other places I looked at were going to be closer to $50 or $100 a month. But it took them over 5 years to sell the place, and last year we were able to create a parking pad to store the camper back home.

Back to the original story: I can't imagine being worried about being homeless and then throwing your money at something as costly and money pit as a large RV. Did she think they were free to operate and park?

Last edited:

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Just made a reservation in Door County, WI yesterday. The place said they were wide open for electric/water sites. My wife (who was making the call) said "oh, we were told that Door County books up very quickly and were concerned we might be too late". "Oh, that's for full hookup sites" said the woman on the phone. "For electric/water sites you have a lot more time".

I simply cannot fathom REQUIRING a sewer hookup to camp. It's pretty unusual for us to have water, and even electric we have maybe half the time at most. Most places we camp don't have water hookup, maybe 1/4 of the sites have electric, and the only time we've ever had sewer was when we were upgraded because of availability (we didn't use it as I don't even have proper hookups for it. Plus the site was the smallest we've ever camped in)

But I guess I should be thankful that the reservation pressure is less for us.

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
I think @DiamondGirl has it right. These people saw things on social media and made assumptions about what camping is like. I doubt any of them ever camped before or they wouldn’t be surprised.

Those of us who actually camp, know for the good spaces and sites you have to plan ahead. It’s not just go and get that great spot. Somebody reserved it already.

When I bought my TT, the dealer I bought it from told me he thought that the market would crash no later than 2023. It’s looking like he was right.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
I'm happy (selfishly so) that people who never camped before have tried it and don't like it. I've been camping for over 55 years now and just love it, but the newbies come along, try it, and hate it. Too many bugs, too much rain, too much mud for the kids and the dog to roll around it, too cold, the list goes on. They give up on it after one season. It makes things easier for the rest of us to try and get our favorite sites. 10 years ago, you never had a problem getting your site, now it seems almost impossible.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Many of these folks did zero research, and had unrealistic expectations. We have even seen it here to some degree with new pup owners. It is even more prevalent on the other forums dealing with TTs and motorhomes.

That first person in the article bought it as a backup living space in the event they lost their home - said homelessness was a fear of theirs, rising rents, etc. Rising gas costs, unfamiliarity on how to tow/drive, and fewer opportunities to find a spot. I think over the next couple years there will be a glut of used units as people dump their investments en masse. I can only hope that manufacturers up their quality game going forward. Things were already bad before covid, but they really ramped up production to meet demand at the cost of quality. I wouldn't buy a new unit for a couple years right now for sure, and no one can get any warranty work done due to the backlog in the service departments and parts shortages.

I would love to go dark, but at current prices that will never happen. Patiently waiting for the market to implode.