The snakes are not dormant quite yet.....

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by thethird152, Nov 3, 2015.

1. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Poor Roo learned this the hard way in our front yard today (we have a heavily wooded lot) by taking a Copperhead bite right to the face.

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      125.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Oranges Rhymed

Oranges Rhymed Member

Poor Roo. Snakebit dogs always have the saddest eyes.

3. edh

edh Active Member

Amazing what dogs can seem to handle. Am guessing I'd be a lot more unhappier than he is if I had to pry a copperhead off my face...

4. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Oh Roo.....my poor little milkbone eating fool! Why did you try and kiss that mean old copperhead?? Will he be OK? Like, he there is an antidote??

Smooches to da pooches!!

[:D]

5. thethird152

Lol - she's doing much better this morning. Most of the swelling has gone down, although she's still got a big ol' bulge around her throat. Her spirits are much higher, although she won't come out of my wife's closet, she's just relaxing in there, but I'm pretty sure this one gave her a good scare.

Doc says she'll be fine in a few days. We're going back to the vet in a week to make sure there isn't any necrosis or anything. What a day.... :)

6. buckeyebud

buckeyebud Member

AWWW
    glad to here your dog is doing better !
    snakes are NOT my thing rank right up there with ugly spiders!!!

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It will go down but will take awhile, my last one that got hit had a badly swollen face for a couple of weeks, then she scratched it and the gunk (nasty looking stuff) started coming out, but soon cleared up and she was fine. Then the fool got bit on the nose by a spider, that lasted a couple of days before the nose swelling went down.
    I have had different types of hunting dogs (still do in fact) and snake bites are just part of the norm.

8. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

Poor baby!

9. fletcher4pa

fletcher4pa Member

And I thought our dog getting whacked by a porcupine was bad. I would have totally freaked had it been a snake. Kathy

10. thethird152

I'm not a huge fan of snakes either, but with our outdoor lifestyle I'm guessing I better get used to it.

Thanks nineoaks2004 - now I have something to look forward to! :p She's been scratching at her neck all day. The vet says there's a slight chance of some necrosis, but will likely just be some minor scarring (makes her look much cooler). Scared the crap out of me though. I peeked in on her laying in her crate (she lays in there with the door wide open all the time) and thought she had a golf ball or something similar in her cheek. I told her to "drop it" and she wouldn't look at me, so I reached in to grab it out of her mouth and realized that she didn't have anything in her mouth, but her face was swollen to about 3 times the normal size. Off to the vet we raced...

The only other dog I've had in my adult life was an English Bulldog (not very outdoorsy - but one of my best friends in the whole world) who took the rainbow road a few years ago.

We finally decided to get a camping dog a year ago (a surprise for wifer's bday). In case anyone needs/wants an "awwwww" moment, this was our first week with Roo. She's a Red Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) and a phenomenal hiking partner (even if she does love to get her face close to snakes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYJSSgSSNo

11. Oranges Rhymed

Oranges Rhymed Member

What a cutie. Who's the soundtrack?

12. thethird152

Believe it or not, the soundtrack is Beck - the same guy who had that "I'm a loser baby, so why don't ya kill me?" hit in the early 90's. The song is called "Hollow Log" off the album called "One Foot In the Grave".

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Oh my GAAAAWWWWWWD, that is just too adorable!!! Especially the end!! [A] [A] [A]

[:D]

14. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

What a cutie!!! Love the end especially of the video!