The Storm

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Buttermilk, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

The summer before last, a tornado came through the area where we were camping. The photo is the canopy we had set up over our picnic table. When it blew away, a leg swiped my wife's car and made a big scratch about two feet long down the front fender. It also hit my Honda Element but it hit on a plastic part about an inch from the side window and it isn't real noticeable. Other than that, it didn't do any other damage. We evacuated the popup and sat in the vehicle during the worst part. There was a lot of damage to a nearby community. It all came up so quick that we didn't have time to pack anything up or take down the canopy.

[​IMG]

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The main thing is that you and the family are OK.

3. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We have been through a couple of tornadoes while tent camping and very high winds in the popup. They are both scary as heck. Glad everyone survived intact.

4. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

I dont have any pics but we were at a boy scout summer camp. Our troop was there and my son was a councelor at the camp.

The tornado blew through at the other end of the lake, about a mile away.

We got deluged with rain but not much else. It was about as close as I wanted to get to a tornado.

Jerry in MA

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I rode through an extremely high wind storm (60-70 mph) in Death Valley a couple of years ago. It's no fun when the PUP starts bouncing and vibrating. They're tough little things though and can take a lot. Mine survived with no damage.

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ya, I had a bunch of pictures posted from this summers tornado that we rode out at Bonnechere Prov park in Aug. But since Webshots has crapped out, I haven't decided on a new picture hosting site to get them back on here. The tornado smashed the awning off the Pup, but insurance covered it all, and no one was hurt other than mentally. Our 11 year old daughter is now terrified of storms. Before, she was never bothered by them. [:(]

Glad to hear that you all came through it OK.

7. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

I've been using photobucket for my photos for a couple of years. I sell a lot on ebay and photobucket has been very reliable.

8. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Been that Road to we were at The Outer Banks of N.C when we got hit hard by a strom

9. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Buttermilk,

I was camping in Wilkesboro, NC during that storm that tore a path across the states. We were in the "zone", but thankfully didn't take a direct hit. We did have very strong winds, but the gusts between 60-80 mph were the worst. I sat at the dinette and just sort of held the roof. It made ME feel better anyway. LOL I also took the brunt on the door side, but I have a 36" slide out on the back with stabs that I swear is what kept me from blowing over! Having grown up in FL, at least we knew how to prepare! A few tents took a float down the creek, and someone who left their fire stoked was sending pretty large fireballs down the road (that scared me worse than the storm), but other than that, we all survived just fine.

GLAD y'all had only the damage you did! :)

[:D]