The Ten Places to Spread my Ashes (just not too soon)

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by Jimbow, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

No, there is no immediate concern, but I was thinking about this and came up with a list of the top ten things to do with my ashes. I noticed that many have a camping theme, so I thought it would fit here as well. Perhaps even a few would be familiar to folks here.

The ten places to scatter my ashes, in no particular order
    1. Grizzly Lake, Yellowstone National Park
    2. Laguna Meadow, Big Bend National Park
    3. Pebble Beach, Acadia National Park
    4. Phelps Lake, Grand Teton National Park
    5. In the water off Laguna Station on an outgoing tide, South Padre Island, TX.
    6. Little St. Germain Lake, Vilas County, Wisconsin
    7. Near the library at UT-RGV, Edinburg, TX (It should be that long from now)
    8. Renwood Golf Course, Round Lake, Il (if it is still a course of course)
    9. Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago (near the monkeys, I want to hear people laugh)
    10. Bring me someplace new.

My wife and I would like the first five to happen after the second one passes and for our ashes to be mixed and then spread.

Too morbid to think about?

2. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Not morbid. Planning ahead is usually good.

DH and I have discussed harvest whatever is useable [cornea, bone marrow, organs, etc] then cremation as well. No funeral - take us camping and put me in a firepit where I will always be warm and and enjoy company. [CF] [CF]

3. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I have a list also, but mine only has 4 places.

1) Urn would be buried or place next to my mothers grave.
    2) Some where on my property, prefer to be under the lilac bushes.
    3) At the family cabin in the Nicole National Forest, near Eagle River, WI.
    4) On the shoreline of Lake Superior, at Ontonagon Beach in Upper Michigan.

No, not morbid to think about, just knowing where I want my dust to lay, my spirit will be soaring.

4. Xiongmao12

Xiongmao12 Member

No, I don't thinks it's morbid and actually is a better idea to plan ahead. I had plenty of time to think about it, but my husband was having a difficult time addressing the issue. I wanted to do something similar with my husband, but the kids wanted a funeral. I thought it would have been nice to go camping where we had gone many times as a family and then go canoeing to let the ashes go. In hindsight I wish we had done something different as no one likes where he is buried. For the most part the funeral was fine, but I would have done things differently had we planned ahead. We also should have had the kids involved in the conversation earlier.

5. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

My DW and I have had this conversation (we are both still young and healthy). We camp with a group of friends and our theory is that whenever we lose one of the group we have a roadtrip to several of our favorite places and spread the ashes and have a toast around the campfire. We try and live our life surrounded by friends and laughing. I don't want my funeral to be a sad time. I have told my DSs the same thing. If it all ends tomorrow, I have had a great life and there had better be a celebration and not a pity party...and no bad music at the gathering. Send me off rockin' and smiling.

1. The Smokey Mountains (great family trips)
    2. Brown County State Park in Indiana ( a favorite of my DSs)
    3. Ransburg Scout Reservation (great times with my sons and fellow Scout leaders)
    4. Several rivers that we have kayaked over time

6. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

I told my family I want my ashes mixed in with the birdseed in my various feeders. Whenever a bird spots your car you'll think of me. Old Indian saying."What better coffin can one have than one that flies".

7. mj1angier

mj1angier New Member

I have been thinking about this some too. FIL just had a close call and it made think about it. I have a few things I want done.

Start the day off deer hunting with a hollow point round with a bit of my ashes in it. That is how I like to see the sun come up.

Then a campfire with some bacon and eggs. Mix a bit of my ashes with thebacon grease and toss in the fire. Nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and campfire.

Next, load the boat up and let's catch some fish. Sprinkle a cup of me out there on the honey hole.

Its will be getting late by now, so get the bonfire going. Let'ssit around and tell half truths about each other. Don't forget to break out the good Bourbon. The tells always get better the later it is. When that fire is roaring at its peak, toss what is left of me in a shot of bourbon and toss it in the fire for a great send off. Laugh and smile, enjoy life, love, eat good food, drink great beer and bourbon. Don't cry for me, I am off on a new adventure....

8. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I've told my wifey I don't want to be buried and don't want to be burned to a tater chip either.

My ideal parting from this world (and I'm honestly not even sure if this is legal) would be to be put back into the cycle of life. Take me to my grandmas woods where I hunt each year and lay m down in the woods. Let everyone say their goodbyes and simply walk away. No chemicals just a slightly ripened me [:D] Let me go back to the timber wolves, coyotes, crows and buzzards. Place me back with the animals that drive my passion to be in nature and remain a hunter.

To your OP jimbow, nothing morbid about it. We will all turn to jelly one day. Some people have told me "That's gonna kill you one day". My reply, "So will living too long!"

One guarantee in life...From the moment you are born, you're slowly dying. I promise I'm not a pessimist [LOL]

9. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

I always say "The problem with life, its terminal..." I wouldn't mind being taken to all of the campgrounds that our group goes to and have some sprinkled at each. This way, I would be with them each time. We always joke that we would mix up a batch of our favorite shots and mix me in.... [:D]

10. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I wanna go in a box in the ground next to my wife. but I have considered the Everglades

11. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I like this post. DH & I decided that we would be creamated, just haven't discussed where our ashes will eventually end. The biggest thing is to let people know of your intentions, and have dependable people to carry it out.

An interesting fact here (found this out when our 103 lb dog died/and DH wanted to keep the ashes). For every pound of weight of the deceased, you end up with 1 cu. inch of ashes. So the breed specific urn that I purchased to keep his ashes in wasn't big enough. So what we did with the remainer was to re-landscape an area in our backyard where 2 deceased cats were and include the extras on that.

12. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

My wife and I found a "secret" beach near Pescadaro, CA. We collected pebbles and I put them in a rock polisher. I polished about 2 gallons worth [:O] When her cancer came back, she said she wanted her ashes scattered there - so we did almost 4 years ago. This is where I want to go when my time is up - to be with her, forever.

13. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

my wife said she will put my ashes in toy kayaks and send me down the river....

14. CANTget RIGHT

CANTget RIGHT New Member

my ashes will be dropped in ocean by the NAVY.

15. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

My wife has told me thst, I should be cremated so she can place the ashs in the trunk of the car. This way if she ever gets stuck in the snow i will be of some use. [:D]

16. skiball

skiball New Member

Wow!!! What is wrong with you people!!! Lol... Yes, this is the most morbid post I have ever and probably will ever read. Besides, I don't want to be camping and find one of your goasts sitting at my picnic table at 2 AM. This is just, Well, I can't find words to explain what it is...

17. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

DW said she wants me to take her to Key West and go to Capt'n Tony's and sit her box of ashes on Dustin Hoffman (all the bar stools have names on them :) have a drink and then dump her in the ocean off Mallory Square. Me, I guess I'll follow her.