THE THINGAMAJIGGY ON MY CAMPER?? (I have no idea what to call it)

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by JenanJeff3, Aug 14, 2020.

1. JenanJeff3

JenanJeff3 New Member

Screenshot_2020-08-14-18-51-36~2.png 20200807_214225.jpg

2. JenanJeff3

JenanJeff3 New Member

Hi,
    I uploaded a few pictures and hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. A little background. So we bought a Palamino Mustang txl hard side. It's a 2000. Clean, bells and whistles, etc. We towed it to our place up north in MI. We slept 2 nights comfortably, with our 2 young children, 9-month-old baby, and dog. The kids took one bed and we were in the other. On Sunday morning, at about 5:15 am my husband and I were awakened by a thud and a jolt. Not an extremely jarring thud/jolt but enough to wake us both up. We originally thought the support poles fell and we were going to hit the ground. We both jumped out of the bed and went to investigate. It's still dark at this time in MI. At first my husband couldn't see what happened. Everything seemed fine. But, how could that be? After checking the poles and bunk he started investigating the frame. Then he saw it.. Right in the corner under the bunk there is a (I don't know what to call it) like a piece that is hinged on the frame it swings up/down depending on camper being opened or closed. The arrows on the picture will show what I'm talking about. Anyway, it separated from the frame. Exposing the plywood that clearly had dry rot from water damage. It seems like a chinsy design anyway. My husband is really handy so he is going to drill in brackets and reinforce the sides (all 4) with ratchet straps. Then re-caulk/ seal the sides. My question, is it common for this to happen? Anyone else experience this type of damage? I haven't found much information online, at all. Does he have to replace the plywood? Do they make additional supports for the pull out bunks? It's separated from the frame about an inch. We were able to keep it in the track and close the camper. We covered her with a tarp to avoid anything else, water-wise, or even humidity causing the wood to expand. Any ideas on fixing besides brackets and ratchet straps?

3. JenanJeff3

JenanJeff3 New Member

The pics are first on the thread.
    You'll see the arrows on the first picture. That's not our camper. That's just a good view of the issue. The picture of the camper lit up at night is ours.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Looks like the plywood needs to be replaced. These hard sides are not that common here, so not sure how much response you may get.

JenanJeff3 likes this.
  5. JenanJeff3

JenanJeff3 New Member

Thank you! I'm just looking for anyone who may know about them. There isn't much information out there at all.

6. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Welcome to the portal!
    Sorry you had this happen and glad no one was hurt and you were able to close everything up for the trip home.
    Maybe get a better picture of your camper with a closeup of the issue.
    I will say, if there is dry rot or any kind of rot, you're going to want to get that out and replace.

JenanJeff3 likes this.
  7. JenanJeff3

JenanJeff3 New Member

Thank you, as soon as I get back up there I will snap pictures. I don't know what I was thinking, not taking pictures of it. We were so focused on closing it tightly without causing further damage and getting it started before the thunderstorms started. I'm kicking myself for not remembering to snap pics.

8. Tyl

Tyl Member

Might have to figure this one out on your own. The hardsides are awesome but rare as hell among pop-ups.