The truth about the Mayan Calendar

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by magic612, Dec 8, 2012.

1. magic612

magic612 New Member

I took a fantastic two-day long seminar at the Adler Planetarium back in January of this year. I learned about about the Mayan Calendars (yes, that's plural), and how astronomy really fits in neatly with their calendars and other aspects of Maya life. I developed a 45-50 minute long presentation that, over the last year, I have given at many local libraries, astronomy clubs and a star party. It has been well-received at each venue. I condensed most of the major/important aspects of my presentation into a 10 minute long video:

The truth about the Mayan Calendar

Hopefully it will help those who watch it have more informed conversations about the Mayan Calender in the next couple of weeks.

2. cirrus

cirrus New Member

Whenever this topic comes up in conversations I just tell people the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year so technically the world should have ended several years ago. [:D]

Very informative video!!!

3. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Very informative. It is probably still safest that we everyone take off work and go camping. Why take a chance...

4. magic612

magic612 New Member

....not to mention the 3 weeks or so that got lopped off when we switched from the Julian to Gregorian calendar. :)

5. magic612

magic612 New Member

I concur. All in favor, say "Aye!"