The "up north phenomenon"

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by dillon2, Apr 13, 2015.

1. bondebond

bondebond New Member

The "down south phenomenon" is best demonstrated when you come upon said double lane, with signage saying "Move to the right except to pass" that somehow, someway there will ALWAYS be someone who thinks they should stay in the left hand lane and go exactly the same speed as the car just in front of them so they don't lose their place in line. There's no chance to pass even if you were to flash your brights or anything. I just take a mental chill pill and decide that getting there slower but safer is better than not at all.

<begin breathing deeply>

2. SuperYooper

SuperYooper Member

As a Yooper driver, interstate is unheard of. The major roads, US41, US2 and M28 all have the single lane/passing lane issues. Not enough passing lanes to make traffic better and just enough in the way of terrible drivers to push you over the edge. My personal favorite is the passing lane just past Seney on M28. Straight, flat and no faster than 55 yet when the passing lane comes up...time to push it to 70.

Right when you think you have it all figured out and your blood pressure has dipped to safe levels, Michigan Left appears.

3. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

I think that's why they tear up the road all summer and make you follow the little dented up pickup with the flashing light that says "FOLLOW ME".

4. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

I love the people that get in the car pool lane and drive the same speed as the car next to them and the only lane doing the speed limit is the right with all the merging traffic.

5. vanjr

vanjr New Member

Now I have been in the other boat, so to speak. I am driving the speed limit (probably 55 but maybe faster) and several cars are itching to go buy me and my pup. We go a couple of miles and then get to the passing lane. I go over on the right, still chugging along at 55 and I check my mirrors and they have dropped way back. Then just as the passing lane comes to an end, they come flying up behind me at 80!

(When I lived in Michigan I remember summers when going I-75 north on friday-cars are bumper to bumper at 75 mph up to almost Grayling... then repeat going south on sunday!)

6. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

Happens all the time. I'll be cruising along with my cruise set @ 65, when i come upon a slower car. I move to left and pass, then get in front of them. 2 minutes later they are passing me, and getting back in front. Now i have to hit my brakes because they did 70 to pass me, then slowed down to 55-60. Happens every day on the highway.

7. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

You know what they say, "Everyone going faster than me is a maniac and anyone going slower is an idiot!"

Cheers!!! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

8. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Member

Thats Pure Michigan. I think MDOT is trying to get this driving technique on the test at the SOS office....

9. jmichaelsk

jmichaelsk New Member

As a truck driver I can tell you this is actually a withdrawal symptom. It has been too long since they saw a semi and have classified you as the next target. You know, flying up the on ramp at 90 when they see you, slide in front of you 6 inches off you front bumper, then proceed to emergency break down to 15 below the speed limit and tap their break lights repeatedly. Then when you finally get a clear lane and just get your rear axle at their window, Not In Front Of Me, kicks in and back to 90 they go.

I believe they have training courses on the procedure down here in Florida for all the snowbirds.

10. bmack

bmack New Member

When I was in tech school this kid would rush out to the parking lot just to get ahead of as many people as he could just to drive around 15mph to hold them up.soon as someone tried to pass he would speed up then slow down again suprised someone didn't kick his butt.

11. tjmama

tjmama Member

Used to call it a California road block, now I see it happens everywhere [V]

12. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

I have never had this happen to me when driving "Up North". However, the kids love watching for the "bear crossing" signs, that's when we know we have truly arrived in the UP!

13. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Don't have to get to the 'UP' of MI for bears, HappyFamily! We camp annually near Higgins Lake and there are bears there. They've been spotted in the wild blueberry patches nearby but have never heard of one in the CG. (Thank goodness.)

Diane

14. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

*writes in camping journal not to visit Higgins Lake*

[LOL]

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

You don't have to be up north to see this. I see it all the time, even on freeways. You go to pass someone that is going 65 and you are going 68. All of a sudden you are at 68 and they are at the same speed and it a turtle race.

16. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We always get big rigs side by side on the mountain passes one doing 35 and one doing 36 neither will back off and 20 cars backed up behind them.

17. bropaul

bropaul New Member

MI is pretty flat but heading south on 75, you'll hit similar big rigs trying to pass in the mountains of KY and TN! Then in the Appalachians you have the coal trucks creeping up the hills and riding your rear bumper on the way down! [LOL]

Diane