The water was really bad

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Max Barker, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chlorine+granules+for+hot+tub&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Search for ones for hot tubs instead of swimming pools. You'll get a small 2lb bottle that way. Don't worry, that bottle will last you 50 years as you use very little each time. :)

I had a 2lb and sanitized my motorhome 3 times, my trailer twice, and gave away baggies with enough for 3 sanitizings to about 8 people and still had about 3/4 of a bottle.

Indiobravo likes this.
  2. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

thank you :)

3. Keating

Keating Member

4. Toedtoes

Indiobravo likes this.
  5. Keating

Keating Member

12lb is just the default displayed on the page. You can also select 6lb or 1lb.
    A 1lb packet is $3.92

Indiobravo likes this.
  6. Scamperluvr

Scamperluvr New Member

Newbie here....I worked in a paper mill and I had to sanitize a hot water dispenser that the tradesmen used for their coffee and tea. They were very reluctant to use bleach and didn't want to use it at all. So I suggested I use baking soda to disinfect the 5 gallon dispenser...it worked like a charm...cleaned it to everyone's satisfaction. And no harsh taste from anything.
    I'm not sure if this would work on my pu water tank but I think I'll try it to eliminate the chlorine taste.
    Anyone agree or disagree about this?

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I disagree with baking soda. 2 minute of reading, and you should as well.

Short version. Baking soda is great cleaner, horrible disinfected

https://www.treehugger.com/disinfec...aking soda is often,a disinfectant by the EPA.
    Baking soda
    Although baking soda is often used a household cleaner, it is ineffective against most bacteria, including salmonella, E. coli. and staphylococcus. If you suspect there has been a contamination of any of these bacteria, ditch the baking soda in favor of a product registered as a disinfectant by the EPA.

https://waterandhealth.org/disinfect/household-disinfection-101/
    The researchers found that of the five products tested, only a diluted solution of chlorine bleach was effective against all three common kitchen bacteria. Baking soda had no detectable effectiveness against the trio of test microbes.

8. Caper

Caper Member

Jurry can is fine with us as long as you don't serve on Jerry Duty :) ;) lol

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

Baking soda doesn't disinfect, but it will help eliminate bad taste.

Use the bleach (or chlorine granules) to disinfect, then use the baking soda to remove the bleach/chlorine taste.

1380ken likes this.
  10. Scamperluvr

Scamperluvr New Member

Thanks for enlightening me on that, after reading 101 I'm glad I haven't had the need to disinfect anything using baking soda.
    I now have the bleach in my tank waiting for 3 hours.
    Thanks again [8D]
    And using the baking soda for the taste [:D]

Indiobravo likes this.
  11. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

ooops...

just one teaspoon, eh? well my tank is going to be squeaky clean then ;-)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

It won't hurt to use more, you just don't need to do so.

13. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I guess I've been lucky with wwater so far. We have an inline filter on the water hose and we put anything we drink through a PUR water filter after that. We usually fill a 5 gallon orange "gatorade" jug at home as well.

14. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

so a followup - if you fill your tank on monday, for example, with home/city water, for a 4-5 day trip - does anyone worry about bacteria growing or any other bads happening? i guess the question is, does city water have anything added to it to keep it "clean" or should i add anything myself?

BillyMc likes this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I use the tank water for cooking and washing. For drinking water we buy those 2.5 gallon jugs with a dispenser spout.

Ladiesman likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I never worried about it, haven't got sick yet. We drink the water , cook , etc. No issues. We do use a in lone water filter. I guess if your worried you could add chlorine to it.

Indiobravo likes this.
  17. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

Same here. I do not drink the water in any way shape or form. We buy bottled for that. We use it to wash and shower.

18. Toedtoes

Check with your city - some add chlorination others don't. Mine does and I don't ever worry about growth.

When folks sanitize with bleach, they fill, wait, drain, and then refill and drain one or two additional times to remove the bleach taste. With the chlorine granules, just fill, wait and drain. Then fill for your trip. Any chlorination left will be similar to chlorinated city water. Won't hurt you but will continue to keep the tank clean.

19. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

yep - that's why i followed your lead on the granules. it's working well.

Toedtoes likes this.
  20. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

So rather than say I what I do. (I drink the water, drain between trips, and sanitize once a year)

Let's link to some sources.
    https://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf
    • Fill the bottle to the top with regular tap water. (If your water utility company treats your tap water with chlorine, you do not need to add anything else to the water to keep it clean.)
      • If the water you are using comes from a well or water source that is not treated with chlorine, add two drops of non-scented liquid household chlorine bleach to each gallon of water.
    • Tightly close the container using the original cap. Be careful not to contaminate the cap by touching the inside of it with your fingers. Write the date on the outside of the container so that you know when you filled it. Store in a cool, dark place.
    • Replace the water every six months if not using commercially bottled water.
    https://beprepared.com/blogs/articles/5-myths-about-water-storage
    Paraphrasing (They sell Prepper water storage barrels) Water NEVER goes bad, but you might need to re-purify it to kill alge growth / micro-organisms.

Summary. You can store water for many weeks or months. But considering that the storage amount of our campers (26 gallons on a big guy) just dump it inbetween trips if your going more than a few weeks.