Theft Prevention

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by tunieyob, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Here's one I had not seen before...
    http://www.carrythebigstick.com/

2. Deannetor

Deannetor New Member

Just found this in a review on Amazon for a lock I was thinking about purchasing. http://megahitchlock.com/ There is also a video showing how easy it is to break off most of the locks available. Going to get a megahitch coupler vault and a wheel boot and hope for the best. Even with insurance, my 2008 Arcadia is NOT replaceable.

3. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Just thought about this during our trip this weekend... We never even locked the car once...
    I am amazed how much of a problem it is back home. :(
    Let's hope no one gets their trailer stolen.

4. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

My vehicle gets locked every time I step out of it. Times are changing real fast. When I was growing up, we never locked a door at our house and the keys stayed in the cars all the time. Not any more.

5. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Mostly drug dealers like to steal them to set up as portable meth labs. If they want mine they can have it, I have insurance. I would be happy to go pup shopping with the insurance check [A]

6. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

Mine is parked facing away from the street, stabs down, wheels chocked, and hitch locked. In the evening it is usually parked in so it would be difficult to steal.
    I'm going to put it in storage for the winter, where it sits is the best place to pile snow at my house.

7. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I would think a TT, 5er, or MoHo would be a much better option. It's not like you can just tear down and set up a meth lab all that easily. Meth labs are usually pretty intricate and elaborate and require some space to work in...I just don't see it in a p'up, they'd have to move everything out when they popped down and therefore would defeat the purpose of being mobile.

Before anyone asks, no, I'm not a drug dealer...but I work for the Judiciary and have seen my fair share of meth labs.

Honestly...not that it couldn't happen, and I'm sure p'ups have been stolen out of peoples driveways...but I think it's rather low on the list for a would be thief, especially if it's pretty well locked up. If I was a thief, I'd be much more inclined to target a utility trailer or something...doesn't require title and could easily be sold without anybody asking a whole lot of questions. These folks are looking for easy and a quick buck...they're not looking to complicate their lives trying to hawk RVs or chop them for parts...I just don't see much of a black market demand for such items.

I think it's more of an at home in the driveway thing...everyones at work and nobody is watching the camper. I've never felt the need to put a hitch lock and wheel lock on at the CG.

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

cwolfman13: I just watched an episode of either COPS or one of the other cop type shows.....they say the newest problem they're having is people setting up a small, portable meth lab in the back seats of their CARS!!! What a disaster that would be if a wreck occurred during cooking. They have to be very careful trying to pull these people over and I can see why.

Here is SW VA, we have a HUGE drug/meth/fill-in-a drug problem. Nothing is safe if it will bring a buck and I know of at least two of our local pawn shops who will gladly take in stolen goods, even when they KNOW it's been stolen. Our police dog them all the time and they deserve it.

Having said that, I'm considering turning my driveway gate into a cargo full open gate so I can story RotnPup in the back yard during Winter, or whenever. Two Rotties and a Pitty mix is my primary theft deterrent. [LOL] [LOL]

But I did just find this on YouTube and found it interesting! Bolt Cutter Defeat

[:D]

9. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Hey Wolf, the 70 and later Apaches are still pop ups and hardsides. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to my 78 Apache Ranger with two 20 lb LP bottles and a 3 burner cookstove. The downside to the theft, on their end, I had the crank handle elsewhere. Sure, they could manufacture one easily enough, but it wasn't a gimme.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Comments about meth labs in trailers or RVs make me thing of the excellent TV show, Breaking Bad. In the beginning of that series they used an RV out in the deserts of New Mexico near Albuquerque.

11. bondebond

bondebond New Member

http://kxrb.com/mobile-meth-lab-picked-up-in-sioux-falls/
    Pop-up camper meth lab

http://www.clintonnc.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Meth+lab+found-Four+face+charges%20&id=10535658&instance=home_viewed
    "A further search revealed a meth lab inside of a pop-up camping trailer behind the residence."

http://www.keloland.com/news/newsdetail6371.cfm/meth-lab-busts-up-in-minnehaha-county/?id=139745
    "Meth labs in the area are not always huge operations. McGowan says officials have prosecuted a number of cases where the meth was made in pop or Gatorade bottles."

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121005/CITYANDREGION/121009434/1024
    "While older methods for concocting meth were time-consuming and involved complicated processes, the new method - known as a "one-pot process,' or 'shake and bake' involves simply mixing the ingredients, all household items, inside a 2 liter soda bottle."

Anyway, the best you can do is make it a pain to steal whatever it is you don't want stolen.

12. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

I wish they'd shown the pop ups involved. Clinton wasn't that far from where I lived when my first Apache was stolen.

One the second season of Sons of Anarchy there were two pop ups being used to cook meth. One was an Apache. I can't remember what the other was. It was eventually destroyed in the scene.

The bottom line is darn near nothing's theftproof. What you've got to do is make it more of a pain and inconvenient to take than someone else's.

13. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Man...that has to be some crappy, tainted meth these guys have to be making. I guess drug users aren't all that discriminating though. I guess I've mostly encountered cartel type of operations...millions and tens of millions of $$ operations...they are quite elaborate and make some very pure, dank stuff. It's cool watching one of these busts go down and reading the reports and case filings...we've had some big names roll through the 13th District; most of them get kicked up to the federal courts once the case is filed in district court. My POs have to deal with the smaller time offenders all of the time...some real **** heads I tell you. A lot of them buy the real pure stuff and then just cut it. I'll have to ask them if they've encountered any smaller cooking operations like those mentioned above. I think NM is a pretty high traffic cartel area and they guard their turf well but nothing ceases to amaze me these days.

At any rate...yeah, do whatever you can to detour; I most certainly do...but I don't do all that much hand wringing over it.

14. jash1178

Once they bring it to a remote location it is no longer mobile...it stays put. Trust me, I work in a line of work where I hear the stories from these folks ALL THE TIME. :)

15. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

You two sound like my old LAPD friends. Did they have some stories!
    Be safe! (and thanks for doing the work you do!)
    Baron
    (sent from my phone)

16. jash1178

Thanks baron......sometimes it can be a real treat......lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

17. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hpla All

"Information" such as this and "I'm worried about stopping at Rest Areas" or "I need an way to notify other's"
    always make me think of my next door neighbor. He has an concealed weapons permit is always "packing
    his heat". The odd thing is he states he has found people in his back yard ... had people walk into his home
    and other such things, while all others who live on the street who do not have weapons - have never had such
    an problem. Every time he informs me of how the world is changing I always ask, " ... but why is it only happening with you and others who have weapons with them. "

18. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

It's not. Those are the kind of people that are aware of things around them.

Tom