There is a cold weather camping forum. Why not hot weather camping?

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by dbhost, Aug 15, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

For those of us in hotter climates such as the American south, particularly around the Gulf of Mexico, we love camping too, and a section for use to exchange tips, tricks and ideas on how to beat the heat to keep on camping would be wonderful!

Rik Peery likes this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Never thought of it. Maybe when I get back from vacation. Remind me in a month.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Because 3/4 of us camp in the warmer months. Lol.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think that camping in hot weather has one issue: keeping cool. AC or fans is pretty much the solution.

With cold weather camping, you have keeping warm, keeping tanks and lines from freezing, winterizing, driving in snow, and so on.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Back in my tent camping days along a creek side I rigged up a car heater fan core with hoses and a 12VDC water pump motor and threw both hoses into the creek. This would pump cold water thru the heater core. The fan blew cool air into the tent...

Worked great but I needed to get a different water pump as the one I had failed after a few months of use. Great idea however... I had all of this sitting inside my second tent door way and used good ole duck tape to seal the door way up...

This could also work for a heater by running a steel pipe through a fire pit... Then the cold creek water would be heated flowing thru the heater core...

Think I later on saw something like this at a Camping Store on display...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

neighbormike and HappyTraveler like this.
  6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

While the issues sound as simple as AC and a fan, I can assure you there are a good deal more issues to deal with, such as heat caused mechanical failure and of course preparation for such, sun protection, keeping food properly cooled when everything is roasting outside etc...

neighbormike likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Lots of tips and tricks out there, but we are likely in the minority. Bulk of people with a pup seem to be further north than TX and the gulf states. I couldn't imagine having a pup without A/C, but then again most of my camping tends to fall during the summer months due to our schedule. It really sucks to camp in 100+ degrees.

Pugs, reflectix, different types of fans, A/C stuff, UV damage, coolers, fridge mods, bedding, etc.

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

You're probably right...

And I am probably nuts for camping with overnight lows in the 90s... but theres great fishing to be done!

Typically state park forest campgrounds are about 10 deg cooler than the city...

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Lows in the 90's?? That is most definitely not for me! Lol

Toedtoes and tfischer like this.
  10. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Agreed. I don't camp when the highs are in the 90s.

Toedtoes and neighbormike like this.
  11. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

I spent 3 weeks in a field camp in the Guadalupe Mtns of West Texas in June of 1996. I’ll sum it up like this; AAAAAAAA, OMG it’s HOT! It took 4 weeks of physical therapy to recover from the perma grip cramp in my right hand due to constantly clutching my water bottle.

Ambient temperature aside, it’s neat country, and I second a hot weather camping forum.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree it would be interesting to see the posts on the hot weather forum. I would think the same proceedures to keep heat in would be used to keep heat out too. Reflectix in the bunk end windows will also help reflect the sun/heat away from the bunk so the AC has a better chance to cool things off. Cooler cozy keeps the sun away from the cooler so the ice doesn't melt insanely fast. I put reflectix to lay flat over the food. To keep the air away from the ice.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yep - our summers can be brutal down here. I figured out I could run a small portable A/C to supplement the roof, and now I can almost maintain meat locker temps in the summer, which makes me happy.

dbhost and neighbormike like this.