There scouting me

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by tombiasi, May 21, 2021.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

They're scouting me . Need to watch my garbage. IMG_3303.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Rik Peery, hayyward and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Just don't tie a porkchop around your neck.

One night after an evening of inebreation at a PA state park I heard a noise at 3AM and went outside. I thought I saw a camping neighbors black lab 50 feet or so away in the darkness and called to it. It wasn't the lab lol.

3. tombiasi

There's one back there that really likes turkey carcasses. Whenever I smoke a turkey and need to discard the bones I don't dare put it in the garbage until morning.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My parents house borders on some forest property. They get black bear looking for food on occasion. Dad used to have a bird feeder on a long steel pole. The bear bent it in half. Dad decided to get rid of the feeder and instead provide a bird house on a big 4x4 wooden pole. That got dessimated and baby chicks gone. We used to love sitting on the deck watching the birds, however bear seems to like it more. So we gave up. Too dangerous to have bear continue to wander into yard. I never would have thought bear would like finch seed, but apparently they do.

5. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

A friend who moved to Alaska joked if he wanted to "go out" in a dramatic fashion he'd just slather himself with bacon fat and walk out in the woods naked...

My sister retired to the UP of Michigan and just had their annual bear visit which ruined a couple bird feeders. The raccoons were a more common problem however. If I recall they put a couple of feeders mounted high in the air on cables and pulleys between their deck and a couple trees. So when they needed to refill them they could reel them in kind of like laundry between apartment buildings in old photos/movies.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

So thats a Jersey bear?

Well, I got some beer and the highway's free
    And I got the bear and the bear got me
    Hey, hey, hey! What you say, Beary Darlin'

7. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

When I was a kid we were camping in the Canadian Rockies in the early 70s and a neighboring camper who had been fishing had one more trout than they needed for dinner and so gifted it to us. In the middle of the night dad woke and poked his head out the door of the pop-up to see there was a bear outside. It was licking the skillet that mom had used to fry the fish and had left upside down on the picnic table. So the Teflon apparently still smelled enough of fish even after being washed. Good reason to cook outside the camper when you can -especially in bear country.

At Kicking Horse Campground in Yoho National Park bears were a problem in the campground the first year we were there. They would show up between 9 & 10 pm to raid the garbage cans. There seemed to be enough to scrounge that they didn’t bother the campers much as long as you locked your food in your vehicle. The naturalists joked that the bears gave each other lessons on how to open even the metal food coolers that were still common at the time. I seem to remember for one of our 3, or 4 trips out west dad bought a couple cherry bombs at a fireworks stand in the Dakotas in case there was a troublesome bear. By the second year they had installed mailbox-like lids on the garbage cans at Kicking Horse and that seemed to solve the problem in the campground. But I assume the bears eventually figured them out…

8. kudzu

kudzu Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

They actually do. Mother bears actively teach skills to their cubs, but adult bears also learn by watching each other. If they see another bear having success with some approach then they can learn to do it themselves.

Rik Peery, Groomporter and tombiasi like this.
  9. tombiasi

He really likes Lasagna and veal parmigiana but there is never any left over.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Where I currently live, there are bears around.. never seen one in the horse fields around me, but in the city 10 minutes away they have been seen on occasion and another five minutes past my place bears have been seen as late as November rummaging through people's supposed bear proof garbage bins..

11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Got a pile of 'em around us, only hit the trash can once; one got one of my neighbor's ducks last year & raped his peach & apple trees...been years since I've had one, but seems a Burger King Whopper combo would lure one in from miles away, brought home a drive thru order once & could still smell it in my truck 3 days later