There went the stabilizer wheel

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Ryoukoe, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

Today during a fiasco moving my camper to my home the wheel that is on the front of the camper to help balance and move it was destroyed. I have a 1990 Starcraft Meteor and am wondering if this is something expensive to replace? Where can I find one to purchase?

2. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Had similar thing happen last year...did not get the wheel all the way up when we left a CG and the rubber wheel hit the pavement as we just pulled onto the main road. Could not find just a replacement wheel...had to purchase a new jack with wheel. It was about $100 [:(O]

3. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Think you're probably looking at a new jack. Do you need the wheel? If not, you could get away with it as is. I have a wheel and it's pretty much useless because my p'up is so heavy....no way I'm moving that thing around, at least not on my own.

4. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

I have found that wheel to be indispensable for moving the trailer around in my driveway. If your wheel is not bolted on, you may have to modify the jack, but etrailer will have what you are looking for. I am going to order the double wheel for my rig.
    http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=jack+wheel&asug=&x=0&y=0
    There you go, good luck in your search.

5. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

My SIL's pup had a pad in place of the wheel. Even though his pup was small, it was hard to maneuver in the driveway. He ended up with a trailer dollie from Harbor Freight for around $35. I took it when he traded it in on a HTT and have liked the way it handles my pup. Something to consider.

6. gixer

gixer New Member

Northenr tool or tractor supply have wheels.
    I think they are like 15-20 bucks.
    Thats where I see them all the time.
    They are on line also.

7. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

You can get a new tongue jack for around $30 at Tractor Supply.

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We got a replacement wheel off Amazon for about $25.

You can also find them to fit some hitches at Northern Tool or TSC or Camping World.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

After the incident last fall, when the pup ran away across the street and up onto the sidewalk at the curb cut, we had to buy a whole new tongue jack. For a couple of reasons, we opted to have the RV place replace it, or we would have ordered one from etrailer.

We may still end up ordering from etrailer. While the heavier version we requested does work better when we need to tweak position in a campsite (the original had a 750# limit and the new is 1000#, though the tongue weight on the pup is far from either, the original had a bit of wiggle when extended much), we discovered it is shorter than the original tongue jack. We found that out as soon as I got it home and parked perfectly placed in the driveway - only to discover that I could not unhitch from the TV. Between the height of the Cobalt and the slope of the driveway, the new jack does not crank up high enough to take the coupler off the hitch ball. So, at home, we mostly use the wheel dock on top of some concrete pavers; DH also made a wooden block, more portable while camping.