Thermastat replacement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by geoanna, Jul 31, 2013.

1. geoanna

geoanna New Member

I'm in the midst of restoring a '79 Coleman Rebel (and, yes, this is also my first pop up). I have a factory installed heater/furnace. The original thermastat looks like it was kicked (cover missing, things are a bit munged).

Can I use a standard thermastat from Home Depot? I have found a couple (the standard economy and then a battery powered digital - leaning towards the digital: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-1-Week-Programmable-Thermostat-RTH221B/202216462 ). The voltage rating is 24v. What does that mean in regards to the coleman heater/furnace? This isn't related to the 12v that a battery would put out, would it? If I did install, would I need to only operate if I was plugged in?

Both wires are yellow. There was no label on the wires, nor on the thermastat (on the back or at the terminal connections). How can I tell what is what? The thermastat is expecting Y, R, G, W... Any pointers, or reference that I can read up on?

Thank you!!!

2. Jeff d

Jeff d Member

All digital ones won't necessarily work. You're pretty safe with any that have batteries in them though. I opted to replace my non-functioning one with another "analog" one as I didn't want to have to worry about battery replacement. Any that you find at Home Depot will likely be for heat and AC though. So, you'll have a 3 position switch for heat/off/AC. You obviously won't use the AC side since that thermostat is just for the furnace.

3. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Active Member

4. geoanna

geoanna New Member

Re: Thermostat replacement

Great info! Thank you! I'll be exploring this soon. As soon as I verify there's no leaks in the propane lines - I'll be getting to that.

Thank you!!!

5. pej

pej Member

I have a standard propane furnace and installed a Honeywell RTH221B and it works well. You will notice it is rated for a max load of 1 amp at 24 volts so it should handle your 12volt furnace without a problem. What brand and model furnace is in your trailer? You will likely need 12 volts to operate your furnace either from the converter plugged into AC or from an onboard 12v battery.

As for the connections, connect one wire to Rh (heat) and the other to W. Basically the thermostat connects these two together when heat is required. Set the jumper on the thermostat to HG - heating with gas.

I do not mind the fact that my thermostat takes two AAA batteries, but i do wish the display was back lit.

Peter

6. geoanna

geoanna New Member

Peter,

I haven't been able to figure out how to pull out the furnace - from a 1984 parts catalog (it looks identical to the pieces/parts I can see) I am guessing it is:
    Model 4312K729, 12,000 BTU, Hydro Flame? (even though Coleman is stamped on the front).

And, as far as wiring goes, it doesn't matter - either wire can go to either end?

We just finished the countertops - working on the ceiling/roof. This might become a winter project - since the next camping has electric and I have a space heater we can use in the meantime. I don't want to rush the propane system repair...

7. pej

pej Member

Yes, an Atwood Hydroflame. Mine is the 16,000 btu version of the same furnace so the thermostat will work. If you have a voltmeter, measure from ground to each of the wires with your converter on. Officially, the live wire goes to the Rh and the other to the W, but it really does not matter.
    To answer your other question, you will require 12v for the furnace to run -either from the converter plugged into AC power or from an on board battery. There is a nice Atwood service manual floating around the Internet that provides lots of details.

Cozy camping.

Peter

8. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member