Thermostat Relocation

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Anthony Hitchings, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

relocated to where we can reach it from bed (at least I can). My field clearance marks have not been erased. Making them was the hardest part of the project.

Attached Files:

Econ, NMroamer and PointyCamper like this.
  2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Looks good. Are there any mercury filled thermostats still in existence? Those were very sensitive to being level. The new coil and electronic ones are less sensitive to their orientation.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I changed to a digital thermostat about 3 years ago and love the newer unit much better.
    Your re-locate looks very good. Good Luck and Happy camping

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You should now update it now to a digital thermostat. Works so much better. Not expensive, works better and easier to use

5. Anthony Hitchings

its not really about digital precision - its about getting some heat before we get out of bed :)

Econ and bheff like this.
  6. Econ

Econ Active Member

The Expedition has a different thermostat. It has a on /off switch on top and temperature selection switch lever on bottom. You can reach the on switch from bed if you stretch just a little.

Good work

7. Anthony Hitchings

The new location was also intended to get the thermostat out into the fully circulating air - our Low Profile Scout has not such location on the cabinet faces.

8. Econ

Econ Active Member

Hey, where you hiding TWO batteries I heard you had????

9. Anthony Hitchings

one each side - way in the rear, in vented (white) battery boxes under the bed. Right now I am on the lookout for some robust quick clamps to hod the mating halves of the plastic battery boxes together - screws are not ok for monthly maintenance, and the spring clips were not adequate. The "grip" needed for the clamps is about 0.7"

10. Econ

Econ Active Member

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-...09&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-820574677111

The ones on the upper right are not operated by springs and the lower right are spring loaded. They are at any big box store. They will clamp onto a 3/4" sheet of plywood with no problem.

I am concerned about hitting an stud when cutting a hole thru the box wall. How did you avoid them? Do you have an upper and lower vent?

11. Anthony Hitchings

I have those clamps - too large. I might try the smallest and cut the bars off, but I also have another plan to try out for clamping the battery box halves together..

There are no intermediate studs in the walls that I am aware of - just the foam core, there might be a wood band around the edge for screws to bit into. (FWIW - the old style panels were made up as a full sheet by running the ply-foam-aluminum sandwich thru the laminator - its in their 4-part video series

12. Anthony Hitchings

Lower vent is in the base of the as-supplied battery box. In the case of my one battery that had a cell punctured by a too-high screw head, the acid drained out the bottom vent of rusted up the nearest stabilizer (which I am currently de-rusting after removing it from the trailer).

I anm replacing all battery mounting screws with flat-head screws.

13. Anthony Hitchings

Update on the thermostat relocation - its worked out great :)

Snow likes this.