These wonderful awnings

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jerbear, Jul 6, 2018.

1. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

One day I was thinking ,and that was my first mistake, but anyway I thought ,"Ill put the pup up in the driveway only this time I will unroll the awning because we have never used it" . Ok pup is up awning all unrolled now the fun begins . I thought this cant be as bad as they say ,gee I'm good at doing stuff . I'll try by my self ,leave the wife out of it to keep it simple . RIGHT! If found out they were right, this is a Jayco jay and what a pain in the jay this is .Get the poles together and go to the other side and the first two poles come apart LOL. After 15 minutes I gave up . There has to be a way to do this and make it easier ,or do we really want to mess with It ? Right now Its wrapped up ,rolled up and in my garage . I have seen modifications on other brands of pups but not a Jayco . Mine is a 95 . I'm thinking maybe some PVC pipe with elbows and or tee's to eliminate all the pieces of pipe that wont stay together . Has anyone been able to come up with anything better ,or should I just forget about it .We do have a new 10 ft. square screen thing we haven't used yet . Thanks to all .

2. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Ha, we used our awning on our pup once. It was a pain so we didn't mess with it again. Our hybrid...we just push a button. I am not any help but shared your pain.

3. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Jayco bag awnings are the worst. Seperate poles, nipples instead of knuckle joints. Nipples don’t stay in pipe well. I hose clamped. Created nipples out of bolts. Dread the idea of setting up screen room with all those loose pipes and nipples flying out

4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I have been trying to learn how to put up and set up my pup by myself..The awning has been the worse thing ever..ugg...i think I have found a solution for me at least. I'll will be trying this later today and let you know for sure...we had a portable fence whiched used pc pipe and concrete in the base to hold it steady. That worked great for the fence, and I think? It will work for the awning let me know what you think? ..i took a picture. Let me see if it loads from the phone...

Attached Files:

5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Sorry about the messy post..having to work from my phone, no edit function....apparently that storm was so bad last night it took out the internet at the house, but my Pup survived it. Lol

6. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

I see the picture just fine .That might be a start . We need to work on this together ,unfortunately I'm in Indiana but my heart is in the South LOL. The tension rods that have the rubber feet that go against the top of the camper, I guess we can't eliminate those but it just seems there is a better solution .How frustrating . Maybe stick several open umbrellas along the side of the camper LOL. Joke . Good luck with it . It may take me a while to think on this . Thanks for your reply.

7. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Yes ,you are so right . Someone didn't give this much thought . I see other pups ,not Jayco that seem much better . But you know how it goes ,If I would have a coachman than Jayco would have a better system hahahahahah OH well.

8. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Thats ok ,it was fine . As long as the pup survived thats the main thing . Hot humid weather ; we have it up here too and Its hard to breathe when the humidity gets over 60% . Seems like our summers are getting worst . I really like the people in the south . I dont know whats wrong with them up here . I am a retired truck driver and always was treated wonderful in the South . Up here half of 'em wont talk to you . We haven't opened our pup yet ,been to hot and humid . Good conversing have a great summer .

9. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

The awning is the reason we bought a hybrid.

PaThacker likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok so I'm going to try and fix my awning, only because I have a never used screen room with walls. If I didn't have that room I would just get a portable pop up for 100 and not be aggravated. Just a though before people grow money and time at a problum that is sure to cause future agitation.

11. Sjm9911

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

13. Sjm9911

It has the screens . So it's an all on one!

14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I get ya! I just cant spend good money on anything that uses Umbrella Technology because I have never seen them build one that can last more that a few storms.

15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

There is no easier way. Bag awnings just suck. I would suggest selling it and buying an easy up canopy.

There is a bag awning on my pup. We've had it up exactly once ... and that was at home, in the yard. I've been wanting to take the thing off of DH wanted it to stay. Tomorrow, I'm going out and taking it off the track and listing it on Facebook Marketplace. Maybe I can get enough from it to get an easy up.

16. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When we went Dark, we said "Oh, look at that, it has an awning too..." Less than 10 trips in, it has become one of our favorite things! Push a button and shade the whole side of the TT and shed water.

In the PUP, I made a "Cheapskate Awning". If you search that thread you can see it.

17. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I have a Dometic awning and I love it, I put it up and down by my self all the time and I enjoy having the coverage over the door. The only time I had a hard time putting it up was in very strong wind gusts, really wished I had someone to help me then.

NorthernSpirit and durhamcamper like this.
  18. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I had nuckle joint bag awnings as well as jayco’s style nipples and loose pipes. All of the above suck. I had hybrid and two travel trailers as well. I’d toss an easy up shelter in the trash.

19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Rik Peery and Dan from Troup like this.