Thetford Cassette PortaPotti Doesn't Flush

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by rwright142, Sep 12, 2010.

1. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

We wanted to test our Thetford cassette PortaPotti toilet this weekend but it doesn't flush. There is fluid in the water tank because when I added some I saw the clear tube on the right raise. There is some blue liquid in it which I guess is an odor eliminating product and when I added water to the fill tube I saw the water in the tube rise. I then pushed on the flush button but nothing happens. I read where there is an electric pump that is used for the flushing but I heard no pumping noises. I will check the wiring when I pull out the dump tank this coming weekend.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the holding tank is empty. We have not used it yet and the indicator is "green".

Anyone have some tips or experience to share?

Thanks in advance,

Richard Wright
    1995 Jayco 1206 KB

2. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

ok this may sound stupid, but you were hooked up to either shore power or had the battery attached right? if so, then there is a fuse under the toilet. you can see it when you take the tank out as if you were going to empty the cassette.

3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Not sure, but sounds like the fuse. It is #23 on the pic! Good Luck!

[​IMG]

4. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

@suprz: LOL - no I don't think it was stupid at all - I'm a newby here so I appreciate your post. I was plugged in to shore power but I did not know about the fuse under the toilet. I have the manual and am reading it now and see the fuse.

@NASCAR Fan - Thanks for the picture!

5. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Don't know if this will help or not.

Very frequently, the jarring (or electrical surges?) of towing my pup will cause the circuit breakers to trip. Several times, I've set up to no power, only to discover that the breakers have tripped.

Just a thought.

6. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

Thanks for the tip - I did verify breakers were ok.

7. NetDad

NetDad New Member

Had a simular issue when I took my PUP out for its first trip this year. Turned out that the little fuse in the underside of the toilet had broken off (as someone said stand on your head and try to hold a flashlight). The holder for my fuse actually busted. I pulled the electrical junction section down and fixed it.

Sounds like either you don't have 12V making it to the pump or its totally dead.

8. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the fuse first thing.

9. arffch

arffch Member

if it is the fuse it is a smaller than you'll find at the auto store. I had to go to radio shack to get them. I think 3 or 5 to a pack. not expensive just not the "normal" size for a glass tube fuse. Good luck

ps there is a flasher under there and sometimes with corrossion you may have to unplug and replug to get a good conection.

10. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

Well I didn't see the fuse, but I didn't have my glasses [LOL] I'll try again this weekend to find it and look for the wire connections to reseat.

11. NetDad

NetDad New Member

if it is the same as mine, here is what you do:
    From the outside access door, remove the cassette. Then look on the left side top. There is a kinda oval shaped piece that is about 2-3 inches across by about 5-7 inches long. It should be held to the upper parts with three screws. Plus there will be an electrical connection you can decouple. Inside that oval piece will be a fuse holder that you unscrew from the bottom.

12. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

Thanks for the post! I think I saw that oval piece but didn't realize the fuse was under it. I'll make sure I have my glasses with me too haha

13. NetDad

NetDad New Member

Look at that picture posted above. The piece I am talking about is pointed to by 21/22 marking. Note: in order to remove it I forgot to mention that you have to take the screw out (marked by 8) which goes down from the flush/open twist knob. Take the little cover off the center of it and then using a LONG screwdriver remove the screw.

14. arffch

arffch Member

Last time out mine didn't work. checked fuse. fuse good and I had power ( getting test leads to fuse holder a PIA)
    I removed the paper holder looked in fresh tank to check pump. one screw it was in my hand. It looked Like it had deposits from hard water. I turned it with a screw driver and it is now working. some time soon I'll try some limeaway to clean it up.

15. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

My toilet information:
    [​IMG]

I found a great online parts manual for the toilet here:
    http://thetford.com/?TabId=396
    It has the part numbers and descriptions. Hover over the numbers for a description of the parts.

The only problem I discovered is that the fuse shown on the web page above is a blade type (#23) but mine is different.

Here's a picture with the cassette removed and you can see the wiring harness in the upper left:
    [​IMG]

I started removing the wiring harness (I thought the fuse was in there) but then I noticed a black thumbscrew next to some wires:
    [​IMG]

This was my fuse. I removed it and found it was bad. It's 3A, 250V and I will go try to find a replacement today and report back.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to everyone for the help!

teresa baker likes this.
  16. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

Radio Shack is out of this fuse so I will visit a local electronics super store tomorrow to get it. I also need a switch for my outside light too and I bet they will have both.
    Anyone know if the fuse is a slow blow? It's 5 x 20mm 3.0 A, 250V but don't know if a slow blow is the right type or not.

17. md-500man

md-500man Member

rwright142
    Our toilet did the same thing this spring, I had a blown fuse, after replacing the fuse my toilet continued to blow the fuse'.
    After cheking all the wiring for a short I took the toilet paper holder apart and beneath this you will find the water pump as another member mentioned. My pump was locked solid, I also turned the pump shaft with a screw driver which freed it up. The pump now works as it should. If I can find it there is a great website which gives good instructions on "how to repair" numerous items on the c-2 System.

Good luck MD.

18. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

Thanks, I'll research that. Chances are I'll have the same problem because something causes the fuse to blow. I tried looking under the paper holder but didn't see a way to get under it but I'll research it like you suggested.

Thanks again!

19. rwright142

rwright142 New Member

20. arffch

arffch Member

rwright142
    the tp holder is a press fit...just pull up on the "cup" that holds the tp.
    Good Luck!