They parked HOW close to our fire ring???

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by mamabean5, Jul 2, 2012.

1. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Camped at Petoskey State Park this past weekend. Sites were very small, but our neighbors were nice and friendly. On Sunday, new people with a big TT came backing into the site behind us. With the wife outside watching the back end, she finally yelled, "Okay, you're good!" when they were less than 3 feet from our fire ring! With their bike rack on the back, it was even closer! You couldn't even put a camp chair between the TT and our fire ring. I was in shock! Couldn't help myself, I said "SERIOUSLY?" The wife walked away. The husband put it in park and came to look. He looked at me, my jaw still on the ground, jumped back in and moved forward TWO feet. I looked at my husband and quietly said, "Time to go". [:(!]

This picture is AFTER they moved forward a couple of feet...

[​IMG]

2. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

I bet if you would have started a campfire it would have lit a fire under their @ss and they would have moved a bit more!

3. mamabean5

If we had stayed another night and had a campfire, the rear of their TT would have been toast! They never unpacked. The husband walked around with his arms crossed, waiting for us to leave. We were happy to do just that! Some people are just amazing...

4. Tracysues

Tracysues New Member

I probably would have stayed just to aggravate them!! That is ridiculous! Some people just have no thoughts or concern about others! It never ceases to amaze me!!

5. saratogaowner

saratogaowner New Member

im just stubborn enough to have made a fire that would have removed the paint off my pup [}:)]

6. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

If they never unpacked or unhooked, they were probably just waiting for another site to clear out and were parking off the road while they were waiting. We can make lots of assumptions. [}:)]

7. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

I would of went about my business, and I would of even told them, "I am getting ready to light my campfire you might want to get your extinguishers ready!". There would of been some smoke bellowing out of that one!

8. mamabean5

We were just happy to leave. There was a natural boundary between the sites, and they just blew right by it. Thankfully I had put my chairs away already or they would have crushed them.

9. mamabean5

Sorry Dave, not a chance. The sites are very small and just to get in the site was a trick. There was a huge parking lot across the street if he wanted to wait around.

10. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

One thing I don't understand is.....how poorly designed is this CG that such a thing could even happen? I don't think I've ever seen an apron that bumped right up against the adjacent campsite's fire ring and "living area."

That pic speaks for itself.... that's some piss poor development in my estimation. Not only should it never happen (just from an etiquette perspective)....but seriously, the CG and sites should be designed and developed so that it can't happen. I've squeezed into some small sites before, but sheesh! Was the adjacent site a "tent site?" Perhaps they were in some violation there.

11. Fire Captain Jim

Fire Captain Jim New Member

I have pulled up to a camp site to find my neighbor to move my fire ring closer to my pad before our arrival so they could spread out or park thier camper closer to myside so they had a larger gathering area.
    It's okay, I played my music louder and we stayed up a little later to talk after thier bed time. They packed up the next morning and left.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I've never see this situation before but I have seen a few where, if a trailer is backed all the way in on the site's pad, it is too close to its own fire ring.

RE Fire Captain Jim's post, I have never seen a place where the fire rings could be moved.

13. mamabean5

Petoskey area is expensive real estate. Absolutely beautiful beaches, wonderful 23 mile bike trail, just gorgeous. Minuscule campsites are what you have to put up with. We had just enough room for our attached awning with the picnic table adjacent. No room for any additional structure like a pop-up awning, screen tent, or sleeping tent for kids. When the neighbors are nice, it's definitely worth it. When they're not, it's time to move on.

14. Fire Captain Jim

Fire Captain Jim New Member

Unstable, the fire ring is a lot shorter in height than the picture posted. This ring is a metal band about 10-12 inches tall. Most of the times, the rings have rods welded on and the ring is drove into the ground. This ring has a metal rack which can swing over the fire so you can grill over the coals. There is usually a small pit dug into rhe ground.
    I could tell the ring was moved due to the pit, ash pile. No rods drove into ground. Ring moved back easly after camper left near old ash pile.

15. chiefbowes

chiefbowes Member

How about i came back and they were stuck in my fire ring. They had cut through my site to put their camper on the site sideways. the ring was stuck on front tire and wedged in wheel well. Had to get loader to pick up truck to remove.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Sounds like they earned that fix!

17. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Well, now they are forever famous on the internet for their rude behavior. Too bad the licence plate isn't a bit more visible.

18. madfireball

madfireball New Member

[}:)] I think I would have built one hell of a fire leaving or not just to smoke em out a bit. [}:)]

@ chiefbowes That truck stuck on a fire ring would have been something to take pictures of. One of those here's yer sign moments.

19. singledad

singledad New Member

I have been at CGs where the fire ring is the daton rim from a semi, they are just sitting on some rocks for air flow. In fact our one s p has them, they are very easy to move.

Mamma, the CG owners shoulsd either ban units that big or have designated sites for them. I saw some where a CG allows tt, a frame, and some brand pups but no tents.

20. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Everywhere I've been the fire rings are so firmly attached to the ground that you wouldn't be able to budge them without something like a bobcat. Many are on a cement slab and/or set in cement. Pretty much the same with picnic tables -- almost all completely immoveable.