They parked HOW close to our fire ring???

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by mamabean5, Jul 2, 2012.

1. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

One time I have been to a campground like this but only worse. Basically you shared a site with someone else, yes there were two fire rings and stuff but both rings were only like 6 foot apart, and both rings were parrallel to the parking areas on either side of them like ‖‡‖.
    I wouldn't even think of lighting a fire because my p'up wasn't even 5 to 6 feet away. Needless to say I drove around to find something more roomy there, and I asked them to switch my reservations to it and they did.

2. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Don't know what's wrong with some people. On our way back from Skyline Drive Sunday, I stopped at a gas station for some drinks. The only parking area wihout a car in the middle was 4 spaces between an entrance and their sign. I pulled in leaving enough room to swing out around the curb by the sign. My front bumper was just over the line at the last space. Anyway, as I get out, this guy jams his Dodge between my car and the curb, gets out and goes inside. Really? There were plenty of other spots open, but he had to just about take the front off my car to park right there. I was half tempted to see if I could back out without drifting forward into side of his car.

3. smoreking

smoreking Member

Kind of scary to think these people may be traveling the interstates some day in a 40' motorhome pulling a car.

4. br9

br9 Member

If I was leaving anyway don't think I would care where they were parked. I have seen some pretty tight spots before. Maybe they had friends who were waiting on you to leave to take your spot.

5. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Misc99, that's EXACTLY what I said to DH when I took the picture-- "I'm gonna make them famous for their bad behavior!" [A]

6. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I'm with you. I would have done just that.

7. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Do they have length restrictions on campers? Even being small sites, it just shouldn't happen. Like UT, I've seen this happen on one's own site (fire ring is too close to trailer), but never seen it with an adjacent site and that sort of intrusion.

Seems to me that they should have some kind of vehicle length restrictions and/or revisit the ones they have. That's just crazy.

Ditto....maybe this is one of those West/East things. It kind of annoys me to see concrete in the forest, but at the same time....I wonder how many forest fires that concrete has prevented? In my estimation, probably a lot.

They all pretty much look like this around here:

[​IMG]

Almost overkill....but then again, there's such a high fire risk in these parts. I'd rather overkill than an all out ban. Almost impossible to cook on though.

8. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

A few thoughts come to mind here.....

First, I would be hesitant to camp at a site where it more or less adjoins the site next to it. Unless, of course, I was with the person occupying that site.

Secondly, the situation you were in might have been remedied by simple conversation. I'm not trying to be critical of your actions but maybe they deserve the benefit of doubt. Maybe the offending camper's wife is just not a very good ground guide. Maybe she backed him up too far because she's not good at judging things like that. Personally, I would have said to the guy, "Hey, nice rig. Just so you know we'll be having a campfire tonight and I'm afraid your camper is gonna catch."

I would have left my camp chairs in place. Surely the ground guide wouldn't have allowed the driver to back over your chairs. The chairs may have even served as a good makeshift site boundary.

But then, I wasn't there so.......what do I know?

9. mr pep

mr pep Member

A good lesson to be learned here is to always have your chairs around the fire ring regardless if you are making a fire or not so that dummies can see that the area is being used - also, maybe the cg has a poor layout.... I know the last place I went to had the fire ring 5' away from teh road. I prefer them to be in the back area not the front.

10. papachaz

papachaz New Member

i not only would have STAYED, but i would have immediately started a fire. heat or no heat, i would have started a fire. some people are just jerks and need to be put in their place

11. fiasco32

fiasco32 New Member

I dunno. I have a thing about people who are passive aggressive. Would have it been that hard to just walk up and say, "You know, we got here first, this is our fire ring and I'm not comfortable with you being this close to it." I don't understand why people get upset but don't do anything about it other than stewing privately then going and posting on a message board about it. Maybe they thought that was their fire ring and they didn't plan on using it at all.

You know what happens when you assume....

12. gketchup

gketchup Member

My DH and I have an agreement to talk to each other WITH WORDS. I can't expect him to know what I'm thinking if I don't tell him and vice versa. Same goes for everyone we encounter. Talk to the offender or don't talk to anyone. It's what works for us.

13. mamabean5

Interesting assessment fiasco. I was leaving, packing up. I said one word aloud (to my DH) and quietly resumed breaking down camp. I didn't need to do anything at the time--I was leaving. It's not my battle to fight. If I had been staying, I certainly would have approached them, non-confrontationally, and asked them to please pull forward because our campfire will certainly be too close to their TT.

I posted this because I wanted to know if anyone else had encountered this situation--I certainly hadn't. I posted this because what they did was wrong and they knew fully well that they were into another's campsite. Their fire ring was right outside their door. I posted this because we all need to be aware of others, think twice, and be more considerate next time. The only assumption made here was that I would not choose to camp next to them in the future.

14. fiasco32

fiasco32 New Member

Fair enough. It wasn't clear from your original post that you were already well on your way to packing up and being out of there. That certainly paints a different picture.

I read it as if they backed in and you guys decided to just call it quits on your trip over the close proximity. I agree that, at that point, it's probably not really worth your time to say anything.

Also, add me to the list of people who think it's really weird the way that campground is set up.

15. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

I got the same impression....my bad.

16. mamabean5

LOVE this comment! lol [LOL]

17. pcfeld

pcfeld New Member

You must have been camped next to my brother! Just kidding but he did something similar while camping but it was the fire ring from his campsite.

18. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I've had that happen to me several times. If I didn't love my truck so much, I'd push those idiots across the parking lot , laughing and saying I have insurance, so what! [}:)]( saying and doing are two different things ). I just think it boils down to folks being jealous of us campers and/or they're plain idiots. Oh well. And oh by the way, we also were going home from the Skyline Drive on Sunday too. Hope you and your family enjoyed it up there. :)

Well put! They were in the wrong and I haven't run across anyone doing that........yet. There's a first time for everything.

Campit

19. tvketchum

tvketchum New Member

Some of the Michigan State parks are set up from the days when everyone pitched a tent, so sites are on the small side. The firerings made from concrete filled galvanized culvert sections are great for containing a fire, and hard to cook over. Even so, backing in that close was arrogant and rude, which most motorhome and travel trailer types seem to be nowadays.

20. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Michigan state park reservation system does consider trailer lengths. Obviously, this camper (the TT) does not have consideration for anyone else. However, I would never prejudge all Moho and TT owners into that category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD