Things not to do at a campground...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Sharpsburg, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

Saw this somewhat humorous article this morning and thought I would share...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/08/15/7-things-not-to-do-at-campground/

Tracy D. likes this.
  2. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

I would add to this.

If placing a shower tent on your site, be aware of where the sun comes up during morning showers. Great friend of ours will never live down her naked silhouette shower in front of the whole group...lol.

3. fb5

fb5 New Member

I have to disagree with the one about not leaving soap. I have always thought it was courteous to leave behind soap and shampoo. Maybe that is just me though...

Mausinn likes this.
  4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

we camp at a ACOE park in pa, there is always TP left behind, but never no soap!

5. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

I wished Number 3 (Bring a yappy dog.) was enforced ALL the time!
    I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with noisy dogs. It amazes me how many people blame me and my dog for getting them riled up. My dog NEVER barks and is trained not to. They seem to think just because I take my dog on a walk or have her outside that it makes it OK for their dog to bark. I've even had folks (on more than one occasion) ask me to quit walking my dog around the campground loop because it sets their dog off. I usually just laugh at them and tell them they should train their dog to behave.

6. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

They should have added people who parade their well mannered dog in front of yappy dogs and then complain about yappy dogs. It appears the constant in your problem is you and your dog..

John37 and Joshwatson000 like this.
  7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I agree with all seven items. Regarding the soap, I'd never use soap I found because I have no idea where it has been or what has been done with it. As for dogs, I'd change the yappy dog item to say, "don't bring any dogs." Then there is no argument about whether or not a dog is "yappy" or why the yappy dog barked. No dogs = no barking.

8. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I would add to the list: screaming kids. No kids = no screaming.

9. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Of course, with camping being a popular family activity, that's not exactly a realistic expectation. Whenever I go out camping I just have to hope that the other parents that are there instill/enforce the same manners that I do in my children.

For the most part they do. Unfortunately some do not.

CatzWilson likes this.
  10. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Camp sites without kids are like churches without children.. Dying and boring.

CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM.

2000 Land Rover Discovery, loaded with ARB and ready for the end of the world.
    2008 Fleetwood Evolution E3, loaded and ready for the end of the world.
    1967 Heckaman Manufacturing, "Phoenix" 18FT travel trailer.. Beginning of Mobile Man-Cave process.

Limmer, JeepJeep, Wanderers and 5 others like this.
  11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Excessive and avoidable noise of whatever type is just plain rude - never-ending barking of dogs, kids screeching as though they are wounded -constantly, and music that can be heard outside of the campsite it is emanating from (really fun when we're positioned to hear various music from multiple sites) are all annoying.
    I am not saying kids should not be allowed, nor dogs, but for both, it is to their benefit to learn to be good and conscientious citizens - and some "adults" would also benefit from the lessons.

Tracy D. likes this.
  12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Kids should not be allowed to become nuisances due to excessive noise or running amuck in the CG or through other campers' sites. It is the parents' responsibility to control them in any public place, be it a CG, restaurant, mall or park, etc. Some parents do this extremely well and others are colossal flops at it.

1380ken likes this.
  13. Rusty

Rusty Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.

"Camp sites without kids are like churches without children.. Dying and boring." X2, Sumoman is correct.

Not respecting the quiet hours is absolutly the worst offense listed.

bob barnes likes this.
  14. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

Seriously? So I guess I'm not supposed to take my dog on a walk because others can't control theirs.
    Hahaha.

tfischer, Tulip, 4x4ihscouter and 3 others like this.
  15. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

This is why I camp a lot in the spring and fall. Mostly friendly older folks with quiet animals. The middle of June until school is back in is just a noise fest. Now I know why my dad yelled at us all the time. [:D]

16. kpic

kpic New Member

Nothing quite like a good catapult.

retiredmikey and Bluedogz like this.
  17. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

We've found that when taking vacation days that involve camping, setting up Sunday and camping into the first couple-o-days into the week always erase all of the above. The only permissible weekend where we can get some peace and quiet is at a rally- when like minded campers are all together- dominating a particular part of a campground.

Rockynbeefy likes this.
  18. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

I can never understand this type of attitude towards children of you don't like children stay at an over fifty facility

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

tfischer and Haney like this.
  19. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

True true. I love taking my kids (of course), and we always bring an extra or 2, they are allowed to have as much fun as they want until it starts getting late, they know they cannot go on other's CG, know to have fun with the other kids and respect others parents.

I see it as, camping is very "family oriented" and for the most part, we all are out there, need to "keep" an eye out for the others kids' to an extent. We have had kids show up with my own at our CG, hot, sweaty, panting like dogs, and they are more then welcome to get a Capri Sun or water out of the cooler that sits outside (no strangers in the camper). We have actually met one boy one month and saw him again another month, by oldest son was 100% convinced they came back because we are so "awesome"!

Now I also agree that other kids can be annoying as hell and should be left in the car in the overflow lot. I have had to shake a mean finger at some before who totally disrespected our site (mostly older teenagers who were drugged out of the house to go). But for the most part, we are there to have fun, I do not expect to sleep anymore there then I do at home with 4 + 2 kids at home. Remember, its about memories.

tls2971 likes this.
  20. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

[CB] [CB]