Things not to do at a campground...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Sharpsburg, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Nothing wrong with a campground that wont allow kids or pets. It will be more fair if they did not allow careless/inconsiderate parents/pet owners as that tend to be the root cause, not the kid or pet.
    Yet my bigger problems have come from groups so for me, no group camping campground would the she shiznit. In reality, it has only been a handful of times that we have had problems with campers taking our peace away.

To each it's own.

2. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

DH and I over the years have experienced many campgrounds, each with their own dynamics. Being in our 50's we don't have kids. We have camped with others who have kids, and we enjoy when kids come to our campsite and visit. For some reason, DH & I seem to attract kids. At this point in our life, we made a decision last year to camp at the same campground each and every time. Being the planner and packer, I just got tired of spending hours researching and making reservations each time. It's an hour drive from home, and it's south, which means it's an easy drive down I35, smooth sailing while everyone going north is stuck in stop and go traffic on northbound I35. The campground is most seasonal, and we've become semi-seasonal. There are families with kids that are seasonal, along with couples our age or older. We have been accepted as somewhat seasonal people now.

We all camp for various reasons. We only get away on weekends, and camp as a means of relaxing, getting away from the busyness of day to day life. We fish, and otherwise just relax at our campsite.

Our annual winter vacation is on the Gulf of Mexico, in the Tampa Bay area. For years, we have stayed at a mom & pop 50's resort. The majority of the people staying there are snowbirds. Have never seen a kid there during our numerous stays. The seasonals gather at 4 pm around the pool for cocktail hour, and at 6 pm they all go to their units, and the pool and common areas are quiet the remainder of the evening.

What I'm trying to say is, at least for us, it's important to know the dynamics of the place that you are staying. You can't make something into what you want.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Wise words.

4. woodsman1st

woodsman1st An outdoorsman of 78 years no exp w/ pop up trlrs

NO kids; NO noise, NO dogs; NO this; No that; what is needed is campgrounds exclusively for old farrrts and grouchy people. Like Sun City AZ you will end up with old grouchy unhappy miserable people rushing out in the morning to see who's still alive.
    I'm 79; surround me with laughing children playing their silly games and having fun; it's the sound of life.
    You old, grouchy, miserable, whining incessantly, belong together in one miserable place; that's fine by me; I don't need to go to a campground where NO is the secret password. That's probably the biggest single reason I prefer camping in the boonies; GROUCHY, WHINING, MISERABLE, LONELY OLD PEOPLE WHO HATE KIDS AND DOGS AND THE SOUNDS OF LIFE!
    By the way, when I talked about OLD PEOPLE above far too many campers numerically younger belong in that camp. Chronological age means nothing in the above discussion; its that STATE OF MIND OF THE CAMPERS.
    Your creeps one and all.
    Give me the noise and laughter of children having fun anyday; sure we need some rules that need to be enforced; but God please save me from all those campers who want to print the set of rules to begin with. I'll take the Jones's and their 12 laughing, noisy, screaming, fun loving family every time. Far too much emphasis and attenion is placed on RULES! and NO!
    Let the flaming begin. lol
    Ken

Turbulent, wolfbait, D_Gibb and 6 others like this.
  5. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Wow, you are my new hero! For multiple reasons!

I think you said it well, camping's about having fun , not about going someplace and not wanting to be bothered. However, that's going to be my new pastime when I go to campgrounds, I'm going to take bets on to see who's going to come out at there camper first.

All joking aside I'm glad that you're of age and still don't mind the laughter of the kids running around the campground there's some my age that don't like it and they give us the look when we go camping but what can you say when you put your camper right next to the playground? Lesson learned for them.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That's an awesome post, and I hope someday I can camp next to you.

7. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Thank you..... well said!!!!!

8. Phranc

Phranc New Member

What he said!

9. wmshay6

wmshay6 Member

As far as the soap thing goes, I NEVER use soap left in a CG. Don't know where it's been.

Last thing I wash is my derriere, so you can use mine if you want to. But you probably don't.

10. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I believe you do have an idea of where it has been! [:D]

11. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

another thing you don't want to do is;

pull the chocks from your wheels, before hooking up to TV! [:O]

Haybale, was telling a story about someone who did that and the first thing he heard was "run away trailer"!

12. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I had a young couple next to us in their new shining pup. I was already set up and just like when I am boating, I love to see people setting up/docking/undocking. He had a bit of a problem backing but he finally did. These spots are in the shore of a lake in SC so there is a slight but very perceivable slope towards the lake (i know y'all know where I am going). Anyway, I see the kids and wife get out to watch dad set up. then I see it, he is undoing the connection to the TV. I tell the wife to hand me those 2x4 next to her and keep looking... As he cranks the jack the trailer comes off the hitch and start rolling down towards the lake, dad is trying to keep it from doing that by holding to the tongue of the trailer and the kids/mom are froze. Since I was ready all it took me was a few seconds to cover the distance and choke one tire then the other. I help him get the camper straight then he told me he had chokes, replaced my 2x4's with his chokes, thanked me and they had a great rest of the weekend. He seemed straight enough that I doubt he will be having the same problem again and I am sure by know his backing skills are great.

Why didnt I warned the young man before he did what I knew what he was about to do? if you ever been boating you know very well that 90% of the people at the dock on the first days of the season are messing up and worst, will not take a hint or help from a stranger. Sometimes they will just tell you to shut up and leave them alone (i would but you are blocking the ramp for the rest of us, idiot....) so I rather just wait and if they seem they need help in an emergency or receptive to help I will be the first in line to lend a hand....

Of course, making a mistake once wont keep you from doing it again, once I locked my keys in my Camry 3 Times the same day, one after the other one....

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Must be a regional terminology difference. I put chocks on both side of my wheels.

14. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I did not realize that happened, chock, choke. Nope, it was not the auto spelling either, it is all me... Cant fix it either, the forum wont give me an option for it. I think is because someone replied.... Anyway, chock your tires and choke that barking dog!!!!!! lol!!! Oh Lord, have mercy of me....

15. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

HAHA

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Don't do this -

At 4:30 am there was a woman laying face down on the filthy bath house floor. Someone was with her, who I suspect wasn't a woman.

She wasn't laying straight out. It was as if she knelt down, then leaned forward. So her lower legs were under her, but her face was on the floor. Taken by complete shock, as I expected the place to be empty, I asked if she was okay. My first thought was that she was drunk, but she clearly wasn't.

She said she was okay, and, almost in a panic, shot up to her knees and pointed at the first bathroom stalled and yelled, "That one!" There were only two stalls in there and I needed to pee so I went in the stall fairly quickly. Before I could even shut the door, I heard the stall next to me latch.

I looked under a bit and no feet. Hmmmm. Yeah, I'm going to pee and get the hell out of dodge. So thinking this might be some kind of hostage situation, as crazy as it sounds - After I left the stall, I bent down to whisper in the woman's ear, "Are you sure you're okay? Do you need help?" She says, "I'm fine, I just feel better in this position."

Ummm, okay. Her face was literally on the floor. I had to try hard not to step on her hair as I washed my hands because it was spread out all over the place. I still didn't know who was in the other stall. Never did find out.

When I opened the door, I stood there for a moment, looking back in to see if she would move or wanted to leave, but she just stayed on that nasty floor. I know if I "felt better in that position" I would sure be doing it out on the leaves as they were cleaner than that floor. Better yet, in their tent or camper.

Had I been of clear mind (I take Ambien and Xanax to sleep so my judgement is impaired at night) I may have stayed in the dark woods to see if they came out, or called the emergency number for the park. I actually thought of that later, but couldn't decide if it was rational or not, in my state of mind.

The only reason I can think of that someone was hiding in that other stall is that there was a man with her, and when they heard me walk up, he ran in the stall. I really wouldn't have cared if she was sick and it was her husband helping her, but no way for them to know that.

Anyway, don't do creepy things like this in a park bathroom in the middle of the night. If you must lay on the floor and hide someone in a stall, at least explain. :tongue: Better yet, just don't be weird.

Thank God for my cassette toilet. We were camping with daughter and her new hybrid. The toilet leaked, unknown to us before we got there, so could not use it that trip. I haven't been in a bath house at night for many years. Maybe things are just getting bizarre since I starting bring my own facilities.

1380ken likes this.
  17. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

A weather radio is an "amplified device".

We're in Georgia, so (not at all exclusive to the southeast) we occasionally have to deal with our nemesis - rednecks. 'Necks redefine "freedom" as license to do any darn thing they please, and we know our trip has gone south when new neighbors arrived and immediately we get
    A) tons of cigarette smoke drifting our way
    B) really loud Hank Jr or Kid Rock blaring
    C) a gaggle of 8 to 12 year old boys who absolutely must YELL TO EACH OTHER all the time
    D) total disregard for quite time, especially if they are camping next to others in their group
    C) macho-dudes' dogs (pit bulls etc) barking every time anyone walks down the road, clearly communicating "If I get off this leash YOU ARE DEAD"

We luckily have, once again, reserved the best and only truly lakefront site at our favorite CG for trips in June and July. Walk past our site to get to the water? Please, neighbor, any time. Walk around right through our site as if it was public, yammering on the phone, or cutting through way too close to our stuff? Nope.

'Necks are the constant - overgrown brat children who shouldn't be allowed out in public. Always.

FarmerDave and kcsa75 like this.
  18. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

The above makes me even more happy I live in an area where there are lots of "informal" or "boondocking" spots to set up. No neighbors means no nuisances. My maps have lots of notes on them.

That said, we have had a lot of great times at USFS, NPS, BLM and state parks campgrounds, and only a very few less than pleasant. I do recall one trip where the neighbors Pappillon dog that was running loose kept trying to mount our old Beagle. She finally set him straight in terms that sent him running.

There is an old story about a man who stopped in a new town and told a local about how mean and crochety the people were where he came from. The local said you'll find people are the same here. A few days later a different stranger told the local fellow the people in his home town were friendly and helpful. The local said you'll find the same sort of folks around here.

19. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

"Quidquidne latine dictum sit, altum viditur."

Ian, The man from Scotland, where the mighty Roman Empire stopped and built a six-foot wall :)

20. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

They can be found in eastern Canada as well!

You have to add:

E) Empty alcohol containers strewn all over the site
    F) Campfire left unattended after they finally pass out for night