Things not to do at a campground...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Sharpsburg, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Nice one, Josh! I expect that 'C' learned a good lesson re respect for others and taking responsibility for his actions that day; and the results will likely be much longer lasting than a swat on his bottom. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    clif and sandra likes this.
  2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I got drugged as a child....drug to the woodshed.

crackerJack likes this.
  3. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 New Member

well what if you're not 50...

chefaleslie likes this.
  4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Really, we're going to open up THIS thread again?

5. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Luckily, all those screaming kids everyone was complaining about earlier in the thread have grown up and are no longer a problem.

6. tfischer

Yet the yappy dogs still yap away lol.

I have to admit being severely triggered by the post on the first page that blames people with well behaved dogs (they even specifically specify "well-behaved") on the road past their campsite, setting off their uncontrollable yet precious yappy dog. I kind of wanted to take a time machine back 6 years and punch them lol. Hopefully they were just trolling.

neighbormike likes this.
  7. Fishin' Musician

Fishin' Musician New Member

No, maybe you should read Loraura's post...

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Trying to stir s#|t up from a six year old thread?? I am all for it because I am bored.... truth is, if you don’t want noise or don’t want to see people or their pets/ kids, you best not be camping in a public campground.

1380ken, tfischer, kcsa75 and 3 others like this.
  9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

THIS should be read by everyone everywhere.

SHFL, kcsa75, Strawhouse and 2 others like this.
  10. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

I love this old thread. I posted a similar topic at about the same time this one began, and the comments there still make me smile as well.
    Here's a few thoughts on how to enjoy quiet or undistracted camping, if that's your thing:
    -- Avoid lake campgrounds on weekends and holidays. Lakes have too much activity to provide a quiet respite. Find a campground in the woods.
    -- If your favorite lake has sites farther from the water, those remote sites will probably be quieter. Lakeside sites are popular and often close together. If you want to compete for a popular site, just be happy you have neighbors and enjoy the noise.
    -- During cool seasons, don't plug in. Go to a non-utility loop. You'll probably be lonely.
    -- Don't be a hardliner about music. Sometimes I turn on tunes just loud enough that I can't overhear the neighbors' conversations. Yes, a campground can be too quiet if the sites are so close together that every conversation must be whispered to remain private.
    -- Ask if you can introduce your dogs to the barking fools in nearby sites. Dogs will often relax somewhat after they've met their neighbors.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    clif and sandra and neighbormike like this.
  11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

-- Don't be a hardliner about music. Sometimes I turn on tunes just loud enough that I can't overhear the neighbors' conversations. Yes, a campground can be too quiet if the sites are so close together that every conversation must be whispered to remain private.
    If you are close enough to you neighbor to hear their conversations..you are not camping, you are in a parking lot.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

There is a simple solution. Walk 100 yards down any trail. You eliminate 98% of the noise.

Strawhouse likes this.
  13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I'm bored too so just read all 14 pages of this thread. I'm in the early stages of Old Fartdom but don't understand what the big deal is.

We experienced pretty much everything mentioned here, but the only that really annoyed me was one time we were camping in the Pup and were next to a family with a couple toddlers in a big fiver that had a pretty bright porch light on the side facing us. When they went to bed that light came on and lit us up pretty good. I could have gone over that night but waited till the next morning. He apologized and figured one of the little ones probably switched on the light. It didn't happen again and we've seen these folks at the campground many times since and become friendly.

Otherwise, I sometime wish there was more activity. It seems like Friday nights used to be party nights. I liked it the music playing and sounds of everyone having a good time.

One time there were a group of "college boys" in the site across from us. They proceeded to have the kind of good time that would drive many previous posters absolutely bananas -- beer, girls, music, etc. But they remembered the golden rule, they made friends with our group -- read my three sons-in-law who were with us. They shared some beers and the next morning came over an apologized. I said "for what?" I enjoyed listening and watching them have a good time.

[LOL][LOL][LOL]

neighbormike and unclemark like this.
  14. unclemark

On a holiday weekend, many popular campgrounds get full, every site taken, at least in some states. Weirdly, some of these campgrounds remain very quiet. One July 4 weekend, in a cool, very quiet nonelectric Wisconsin campground full of respectful people eager to enjoy the quiet hilltop vistas overlooking the distant Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers -- no babbling brooks or river rapids, no generators, no ACs, no fans running -- it was possible to hear the neighbors' voices. Before I could figure out what they were saying, I put on the camping playlist -- just loud enough to dampen the neighbors's voices. Same thing in Minnesota this year on Labor Day weekend. I use two small bluetooth speakers so I can keep the noise close to me.

15. unclemark

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. unclemark

[CF]
    Something like that happened to me at Nine Eagles State Park on July 3, 2015. The gentleman only partied for about 10 minutes, from about 11:50 to midnight, but he used a lot of accelerant.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  17. tfischer

In 2018 we started camping in a very popular campground over July 4th last at a resort town that has a big 4th celebration. I was expecting pandemonium and packed my ear plugs. Much to my surprise, it was dead quiet by 9pm... so much that I was afraid that maybe *we* were being the troublemakers... we like to sit by the campfire and play cards or games until about midnight. That first year we set up camp a few days before the 4th, and I figured surely by the 4th proper it would get rowdy, but nope. Same thing last year (2019).

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This made me laugh so hard! [LOL][LOL][LOL] I have had that same thought process. We are really quiet, but when everyone is is even more quiet (or asleep) I feel like they are posting about their annoying neighbors on facebook as we sit by the fire.

19. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

1 of the very few times anyone ever asked my site to quiet down, was when an off duty ranger (from that CG) was hanging out and drinking with my friends and I. The ranger went to high school with my buddys girl. lol and Oops...

neighbormike, kcsa75 and unclemark like this.
  20. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

It seems to me that many campers expect wildly different things from the camping/rv lifestyle in general. It means different things to different people. That's going to cause lots of conflicts, whether they are expressed/voiced or not. Sometimes I even catch myself getting all torqued up about kids being wild "too close" to our site, or yelling their heads off, dogs using the bathroom in sites near ours, ... I remind myself that these peoples IDEAS about , and EXPECTATIONS from, camping may be completely different from mine, and therefore the situation demands some flexibility and understanding. THEY'RE KIDS.
    That said, if you are BLASTING your twangy country music as if it's the ONLY music to be played in the entire loop (then ya better get ready to hear some rap on level 10), revving your motorcycles or v12 custom drag-truckster over and over at 6am (everyone is so impressed), chopping firewood late at night, or at the crack of dawn, allowing your dog to defecate at the very entrance to another campers site, putting on a RV light show at 1 am, pouring your half empty liquor bottle in your fire pit for fun, having drunken arguments with your spouse, trashing the cg bathrooms and showers, renting one single site and trying to cram an RV and 7 various vehicles in it for the "party", running a big open frame generator and air conditioner constantly for a TENT in cramped sites, etc, etc... Your expectations from camping/ rv'ing are definitely questionable. I've camped through all of these issues, and almost none were CAUSED by kids or dogs.