Things not to do at a campground...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Sharpsburg, Aug 16, 2013.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I've run across this much more than bad kids or dogs. I don't even chop wood, period, we bring along homemade fire starters and newspaper. But I guess sometimes people want to feel like they're out in the boonies backpacking even when they're camping with their 5th wheel, and go all Grizzly Adams with a hatchet lol. That's fine, if you chop your stuff for a small amount of time and get it done with. And if you pre-chop your breakfast fire wood the night before (or stop eating breakfast at 6am).

We once camped near a couple that broke just about every rule. Among them, they evidently refused to buy firewood so they continually dragged huge branches out of the woods (against the rules) and attempted to cut it into firewood with a tiny hatchet. Plus the guy evidently had no idea how to chop wood. Needless to say, they were chopping wood almost the entire weekend.

They also refused to tether their dog, so he was constantly running around. The first time or two he stopped by our site they were setting up their tent so I warmly greeted him and waved that it was no issue. Little did I know that they weren't going to have him contained *the entire weekend*. Every 10 minutes, they were screaming across the campground calling for the dog. Including one time after 1am.

clif and sandra likes this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

As long as I'm on a roll here...

There was a family we camped near last season. Couple with two young kids under 5 or so. The kids kept cutting right through our site to use the bathroom, I saw them come back after a few times and was about to say something and the MOM was actually leading them back to the tent right through our site. I was so shocked I didn't say anything. They actually had to change their angle of approach or they would have walked right through our fire pit (instead they walked just past it). Rather than say anything I set up our hammock and a large clothesline and they seem to have gotten the hint.

But, watching them the rest of the trip, their daughter was a Little Princess. You know folks who treasure their little girl so much that they tell her how special she is, and give her everything she wants and never say no? And how said "Princesses" turn out to be royally spoiled brats? Well apparently that was what was going on here. The girl was constantly running off, talking back, and getting into trouble while the parents pleaded with her to kindly please stop, if that's ok with you, my little princess lol.

This came to a head when it was time to put her down for bed around 9pm. What we got, for literally 90 minutes, was two minutes of intense, all out, screaming fit, followed by 30 seconds or so of dad's comforting voice (imperceptible to us, but no doubt telling her how much of a precious princess she is), followed by another 2 minutes of intense screaming and crying, lather rinse repeat. They were in a tent so it was all across the campground. Fortunately we are night owls and I found it entertaining at worst. The parents were reaping what they sowed.

But I always say the worst day camping is better than the best day at work. Happy camping all and keep the stories coming!

clif and sandra and neighbormike like this.
  3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Not sure if this counts. The campground that we go to , Green Meadow Camping Area in NH next to Storyland, is sometimes empty during the week. We have been there many times when we are the only campers in the loop or maybe the whole campground. One time when the campground was empty we kept on hearing a flute playing, eerie sounding and constant. I had not seen anyone enter the campground. We found the source. It was two male campers who rode in on bikes. They were sitting directly across from each other at the picnic table with one guy playing the flute. They were in their own world as we walked by on the road and they didn't even look our way to say hello.

tfischer likes this.