Thinking about a hybrid - drying out question

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by sarahlizz313, Oct 10, 2016.

1. sarahlizz313

sarahlizz313 New Member

We currently have a PUP and we love it, except with 2 adults, a kid, and 2 50 lb dogs we can barely move around on the inside. We're thinking about a hybrid, but I'm not sure how the drying out (if packing up wet) will work. We live in a fairly urban neighborhood where the houses are on top of each other and driveways are really narrow. Right now, we can BARELY get the pop up in the driveway (really hard to make the turn with all the cars on the street).

So, if we got a hybrid, we'd have to always keep it at the storage lot in between trips. There's plenty of storage nearby, so that's not a problem, but I'm worried about if we ever have to pack it up wet. How would we dry it out if it's in storage? Has anyone else had to deal with this? Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Well its easier and faster to set up just to dry than a pop up....especially if you get a newer style with the cable supports. Its the where I guess would be your problem. If you can park on the street, you should be able to drop the front bed still hooked up, once dry close and head to storage.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This question depends on your storage facility if any.
    One storage lot I have used, you were allowed to open your unit within the confines of your space. I could open the front bunk, but the back no. However I have a popup and was able to shove the canvas out to dry even though I couldn't open the bunk. The other facility I've have used I am not allowed to open at all. For fear you could accidently damage nearby units. Now if street parking you are probably limited to confines of other vehicles, and I would probably stay with the unit to prevent damage/brake in or police questioning what you are doing. Its a pain when you have to think ahead, and I've had to ultimately stay late in some places if I could get a couple hours drying time or make arrangements to go camping a week later. I met up with one camper who covered her hybrid bunks with a tarp to prevent rain from getting the canvas wet as they also had confinements of storage.

4. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

My very first question when renting a site is "can I open and work on the unit?" if the answer is no then I wont storage there. While you are not in an HOA ruled location as I am, it seems you would have some issues working or drying the unit.
    However, i have found that drying an unit is not always that hard unless it is pouring rain... I have one of those "space age" foam mops, I run that on the bunk bed then I have 2 towels just dedicated to dry canvas. I could use the ones for us if I needed. That has left my canvas pretty dry the times we have had wet canvas. You could also remove your mattress if for some reason is raining too hard and you cant dry it, at least you wont get that wet.
    If it is only raining the last day then turtleling for the last day/night might be your way out of having to deal with wet canvas.

Good luck!

5. jeicher

jeicher Member

You usually have the same problem with an awning. Even if you don't deploy and it rains, especially when traveling, you should open the awning and let it dry. For me the fold-out end isn't nearly as much of a deal as the awning.

6. sarahlizz313

sarahlizz313 New Member

Thanks for the responses. If we get one, I'll definitely make sure I find out if we can pop any part of it out while in storage. I had also thought about turtling it or covering one of the bunks with a tarp and closing the other if it was just supposed to rain that last day. Definitely some more things to think about - thanks!

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Folks I know who store their trailers and some of them are allowed to open the trailer up to work on them.. Those with HTT's use the "maintenance" clause as a perfect time to dry out, clean and restock pantry items or do some mods.. If you pick the right day warm, sunny with a slight breeze won't take too long too dry the bunkends, maybe 30 minutes each..

8. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Turtling was going to be my suggestion if you anticipate rain. We did that at the end of one camping trip. We knew it was going to rain overnight so we just closed up and we slept on the dinette and DS slept on the sofa. You could also look into PUGS. That would at least help some of the issue and you could just wipe down the sides before packing. Of course that won't help if it's raining WHILE packing up. :)

I think your best bet will be to try and find a storage facility that will let you open up. Or a friend who will let you borrow their driveway/yard to open up after rainy camping.

9. theonlytina

theonlytina Member

Try a pop up with a slide out. Our first pop up we had the same issue + had 1 hundred lb dog. We got a 2nd one + went to a slide out...PLENTY OF ROOM for 2 really big dogs + 2 teens.... we just downsized to hybrid with NO slide out...SO now we are empty nesters but have So much less storage...

10. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Sarah,
    I have packed up the HTT and left the campground (nice shady site) on a Sunday morning with the bunk ends all wet from the morning dew. A stop along the way at a small town restaurant for breakfast or lunch was an ample time to open the bunk ends up and let it all dry out in the sun and dry wind (still hooked up to the TV). I did this sometimes with the pop up as well. Packed up again and brought it to the storage lot til the next trip.
    Good luck and happy camping.