Thinking about Boston/Cape Cod

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Redbird234, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

One of my favourite parts of camping is planning the trip. Last summer's trip involved way to many set ups so I was wondering if Boston area would be a good idea.

We are coming from Toronto and it looks like a 9ish hour drive and there is so my to do I thought we could set up for a week and do day trips.

Any sites to suggest or campsites to recommend?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I live in this area so I'll be watching this thread closely

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would rather goto the coast of Maine or the White Mountains of New Hampshire before go anywhere near the Cape in the summer.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I am with you. Been on the Cape in the summer... Not again

5. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

Why not the Cape?

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

It's over crowded over priced with limited activities and don't let me forget I hate the Traffic on the Bridges!

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The Cape after Labor Day is a different place. Crowds are gone and prices drop

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Look at Winter Island in Salem MA. It is an old Coast Guard base. Salem is a really nice city with lots of stuff to see. Only about 30 min from Boston.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We went to the Cape for a week in October of 2016. It was still crowded. We did not camp, we did the hotel thing. We stayed in a different place each night with the exception of Provincetown (2 nights). But friends we know will not go to the Cape on weekends (during the summer), they go during the week to avoid traffic when they visit friends in Chatham.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I can image the Woods Hole Ferry in the summer now

11. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Red bird, the Cape gets a real bad wrap with some and I feel it is to some degree unfounded. Traffic can be horrific if you time it wrong, especially going over the bridges, but frankly I consistently hit waaay worse traffic driving up to Maine. The Cape was oddly quiet this summer — I went for a week and a half in July and couldn’t get over the general lack of traffic. Two homeowners on the Cape I know said it was like that all summer. Granted that’s not to say it wouldn’t be a zoo next year.

My suggestion is to go to the Cape if you want to, but if you are daytripping onto the Cape, do it on a weekday and never ever on a summer Friday! Or if you are making that your base, same thing avoid Friday and Saturday arrivals.

I don’t know if you prefer State Parks or Camping Resorts. Massasoit State Park in Taunton, MA just reopened and although I haven’t been there I hear it’s nice. Plus they added hookups to some loops. If you are looking to explore not just the Cape but the whole Boston area, this might be a good location. It’s near Plymouth and Plimoth Plantation, and not terribly far from Boston, the Cape, Newport where you can walk along the cliff path and see the Sea Captain’s mansions, and Gillette Stadium with shops and events.

If you want to spend more time on the Cape and less time exploring the mainland, I would still recommend staying in the Falmouth, Bourne or Sandwich area so you’re not that far from the bridges. Or conversely if you only want to visit Boston and spend the bulk of your time on beaches you could stay around Provincetown and take the ferry.

If you like camping resorts, Bay View Campground in Bourne is nice and pretty convenient to hop on and off the Cape. If you like no-hookup state parks, Shawme-Crowell State Forest in Sandwich is convenient as well.

In full disclosure I prefer areas of the Cape that are further east and further from the bridges, but I’m thinking of access for you.

Don’t let anyone deter you from checking out the Cape if it is appealing to you. Many people around here are fiercely loyal to either the Cape or Maine and have deep-seated hatred for the other. Not saying that about anyone here of course! It’s just a weird phenomenon I’ve noticed here in MA. I personally like and go to both, but I have to be careful about announcing my vacation plans because people are pretty darn passionate in their views on this!

12. rourky80

rourky80 New Member

I can second Shawme-Crowell state park in sandwich. We did it this year, in early august for the first time. We used the park as base camp to explore the cape. It has free access to 2 beaches (both different styles) one on north side 15mins from camp (cold but huge sand beach) and one on south side of cape 30mins away (warm with nice waves and plenty of shells and sea stuff to collect). The national seashore is 50min away (waves and sharks lol). It was a great week for us as a family. If you have kids and enjoy water parks, cape cod inflatable park was a great fun day out for the kids and us adults! Also the Whydah pirate museum was great for a rainy day. We definitely found things to do while we were there with us and the kids 11 & 8.

Redbird234 likes this.
  13. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are looking for. (I'm a state park camper, so that will color my responses)

Primitive sites (No Hookups)
    Nickerson State Park: Great park, Far out on the Cape, has its own swimming ponds (minutes from the beaches and the National Seashore) connected to the Cape Cod Rail Trail, a 22 mile bike path

Hookups
    Horseneck Beach State Park, Westport MA. On the beach camping. water and electric being installed this winter, which means they might not be operating early next spring.
    Massasoit, already mentioned above.
    Salisbury State Park, Salisbury MA. More On the beach camping. Water and Electric sites.

Resorts
    Normandy Farms
    Maple Park
    Ellis Haven

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Like I said above, when we went in October of 2016 we really enjoyed the Cape! We also visited the town of Plymouth. I really enjoyed this for historical reasons. We got to see the Mayflower II before they towed it away for a long needed restoration. As for the Cape, we could have spent another week up there. We really enjoyed Provincetown. If your into Glass making, Sandwich is a nice place to visit. It was called the Sandwich Glass Museum. Lots to see and do on the Cape!

Keep in Mind that I'm from Northern NJ so I am not partial to either Maine or the Cape!! [LOL][LOL]