Thinking about Livin Lite Quicksilver 10.0

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by kinggartk, Sep 9, 2015.

1. kinggartk

kinggartk New Member

We are looking for our first POP Up. I keep being drawn back to the Livin Lite QS10.

Reasons: I like the light weight. It looks like really easy setup. All canvas top requires no cable or gears that can break to (pop it up). All Aluminum construction in lieu of wood and steel.

I'm wondering about the all canvas top though...how durable will it be? How easy to replace if needed?

What are you guys thoughts on the Quicksilver?

We will be towing with a 2009 Honda Odyssey.

2. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

The material should be just as durable as normal bunk end material.

I figured that if you ever have to replace the material, any larger marina should have someone that does Bimini fabric replacement and should be able to sew one up. They should be able to bend up new poles too. It looks like a lot of the parts come from the marine world.

I am looking at the XLP but only if I can load the fridge with everything collapsed and with outside access doors added for the storage areas. Since there is no lifter posts, they should be able to add them.

3. dion

dion Member

The top is very easy to remove and replace at home. In fact, to guard against mold and mildew in the off-season, it's commonly recommended to remove it for the winter, store it in a climate-controlled dry place, and replace it in the spring. There are instructions for this procedure in the owner's manual.

A new top can be made at the factory and fitted to the trailer, or as arthuruscg suggests, it shouldn't be too hard to find a marine outfitter capable of creating a custom top.

4. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

We just bought the Quicksilver 8.0. in June, it's pretty much the shorter version of what your considering. It is super easy to set up. From parking to full set up we have it down to about 15 minutes including leveling. The only thing I would have to complain about so far is the mattresses. They're pretty thin! Better than the ground and not terribly uncomfortable but not much insulation against the chill on a cool night. From what I was told by the dealer, should you need to replace the canvas, you'll need to replace the entire tent but the design has not changed on any model since they started making them so a replacement should be readily available, all the snaps will line up. The bulk of the cost of the trailer comes from the aluminum construction so replacement tent shouldn't be too much. Seems like it'll hold up pretty well though. We've camped through some drenching rains without too much worry. Though I haven't done it yet, the tent seems like it'll be really easy to take off the camper to store indoors for the winter. There's no real plumbing to worry about winterizing either. I'm mildly concerned about the toneau cover so I plan on covering the camper with a tarp for the winter. I've also seen some wear marks on the underside of the cover from where it rubs on the bunk support brackets, so I've started laying foam sleeping mays over the bunk support brackets before rolling the toneau cover back onto the camper when closing it up to tow.

5. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

I drive a CRV so weight was a big concern which is more or less what decided us on the Quicksilver as well with the 1500 lb towing limit we had we were pretty limited on what we could get. The 8.0 is just shy of 900 lbs so that gives us plenty of extra weight for gear.

6. whitecastleman

whitecastleman Member

I have the 6.0 model and have used it for three years now. Never leaked- even when I was out in some pretty intense storms. All of my snaps on the tent are fine and I have not had any problems. If you ever need to replace the tent, just unsnap it all around, undo the velco straps that connect it to the poles, and remove. The tent material is well-constructed so you should be good to go for many years, however. Look around for a used one if you can find one. Check Prosser RV near Milwaukee- great people to work with. Good luck on your search.

7. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Which is why I was suggesting a marine seamstresses. Typically, from wear and tear, or even damage, you shouldn't need an entire tent replacement. A seamstress should be able to patch or replace individual panels to the tent with similar fabric as OEM.

Looking at the pictures the tent looks very close in design to Bimini covers and the cabin enclosures. It would not surprise me at all if Livin lite outsources to a certain well known manufacture is for the tent and toneau cover.

Watching the setup videos, the support arms are removed and stored in a tube, do they have to be removed or can they stay attached under the cover?

8. SiAm Traveler

SiAm Traveler Member

We bought our 2009 QS10 this year in a private sale. The biggest reason we bought it was because of the simplicity of the camper. Weight issues were not really a problem with our primary tow vehicle. The only concern we initially ahd was what we thought was a lack of storage. But after using it some this summer we have found that there is plenty of storage for everything we need. We can pretty much pull into a site and have evrything set up in under 15 minutes. Tear down is about the same. We have already been in a pretty good storm with high winds and had no problems at all. I know that some people have had problems with the tent portion leaking but we have had no problems at all. A lot of the problems seemed to be during the 2012 year.

We have had to patch a very very small hole in the tent that appeared to possibly have been caused by rubbing when we packed it away. We have a total of three small patches that were covered with some clear patch tape with no problems.

While we were in a campground in New Hampshire this summer one camper asked where the roof was. I explained that it was a tent camper and did not have a hard roof. I also explained that it was one less thing to break and cause problems. He said "that thing needs a hard roof cause it looks dumb without it". As he was talking I could see a 2x4 holding up the corner of the roof on his camper.

9. dion

dion Member

Those poles go between the bunks and the bottom of the trailer box, near the bumper (the front has no bumper of course, but near where a front bumper would be if it had one). They must be completely detached at both ends when folding the trailer up. If you left them attached at the bottom end connected to the trailer box, they'd drag the ground and stick out way beyond the trailer. If you left them attached to the bunks, they'd stick out a bit beyond the bunks when the bunks were folded up on top, and the tonneau cover wouldn't fit over them.

They don't necessarily need to go into that tube as shown in the video, though. We keep our Quicksilver 10.0 beside our house, narrowly sandwiched between our house and the fence separating our lot from our neighbor's. The parking spot is so narrow that there's no room to remove or insert the poles in that pipe while the trailer is parked. So we just keep the poles on the floor of the trailer while it's parked at home. When we're on extended road trips, we use the pipe just the way the video shows. If I were more ambitious, I might move the storage tube to make it accessible from the front or rear of the trailer.