Thinking about moving to a TT, but don't want to regret it

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by jm88, Jul 30, 2021.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I will. I would love to see one of ya make it to Wyoming

neighbormike likes this.
  2. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Less than 300 lb shitty payload.

3. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Unfortunately, happens more often than we like to believe.
    That's why I like camping in the pet friendly areas. The dogs can be a good early warning.

4. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Tiny bladder folks, I usually just pull off the highway, and pull out the 5 gallon bucket. In the minivan it fits right at the door, with one seat folded up. It's hard to peak. In a sedan open both doors and just put the potty in-between the two doors. Yes people know what you are doing. But everyone pees and poops. They just don't see the details.

raising4daughters likes this.
  5. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

If I ever get a tt it would probably be an intech explorer. It's tiny compared to most tt, and it's a psudo hybrid... Plus you can actually load up really easy.

kudzu and DiamondGirl like this.
  6. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Really? I'd like to see cites/stats on that. I contend I have a greater danger of walking down the sidewalk and getting struck by lightning than this happening. Prove me wrong ;)

7. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

5.8 homicides per 100000.
    1 lightening strike per 500000.

(All from the CDC).

Adjusted to be equal, your about 29 times more likely to be a victim of a homicide than you would be hit by lightning. That's not counting survivors.
    National park service says that your chances of a bear attack are 1 in 2.1 million.

Now of course, holding a bag of McDonald's around a hungry bear or chasing her cubs will probably increase your odds of being attacked, much like holding a big metal rod in the middle of a field during a thunderstorm.

But then there is Oroville camp ground, circleville camp ground.
    Or what happened to Tristan beaudette...

Then there is Anthony Rauda. Go google that guy. Suspected of trying to kill 10 different random people. (he fired at unsuspecting campers and drivers)

8. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

Going to the Darkside has some benefits. Like parking on the shoulder to use the bathroom or having lunch at the rest stop. The only downside is gasoline usage is a lot more and the need of a bigger TV. Fortunately for us, we had a Titan before going dark.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

9. tfischer

This is a classic example of how to mislead with statistics.

My original quote was:

To which you replied
    And now to prove that, you're going to use the general statistic of ALL homicides, which includes things like gang bangers, domestic violence, etc. and virtually none of them happening at a campground or while camping.

That, my friend, is bogus.

10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I lost interest at “CDC” lol!! Not bagging on anyone... just sayin

BillyMc likes this.
  11. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Wait, I gave you general homicide info. I think you can agree there that that risk is significantly higher.
    Then I give you at least 3 folks that were killed in this way. Haphazardly found a camping person, and attacked them. If 40 million people camp a year (as per north American camping association).
    Yes, your right, there is inference in this data. Your adding intent (attacking without premeditation) to a specific type of situation (camping) in a specific type (pup) of vehicle/trailer.
    You could just add rainbow colored pups, and probably not have a single case ever (as there are probably very few rainbow colored pups,).

Even so, there are many found dead inside an RV inside an RV park.
    https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/1...investigators-say/PNRJKDBA5NBUPKW2EG2AHRKXEI/

Doesn't mean we will publically ever find the cause of death.

There are simply bad people out there. You can't substitute one risk for another (you can be assaulted and hit by lightening. It doesn't change your chances. )

Take every incident that I mentioned that happened to campers in a given year. Then look at the population pool (40 mil). Just with the few I picked out would affect 1 in 10 million. I can certainly find enough to make 1 in a million.

But your right. It doesn't fit your criteria exactly.

12. tfischer

And this is the point we disagree on (and that I feel you haven't proven).

You listed the general statistic ("Many people are killed via homicide") and then a handful of specific examples camping, and tried to make the implication that "many" are killed while camping.

There are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of people camping every single summer weekend. 4 or 5 examples of this happening over the years doesn't make "many".

I won't argue the point any more though. I'm going to go out and camp, and not worry about bad men that may be hiding in the bushes, out to lynch me if I need to take the dog out in the middle of the night.

13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I will be the first to let y’all know if get homicided at the campground!

Snow likes this.
  14. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

And this was what I was
    That's the classic move, add specifics where you know that there would be no way for anyone to ever contend your point. I guess we should all feel confident that there is probably not an all male group hiding in brush (and not the tree line) waiting and ready to lynch me. After all, I don't have a dog, so that could never happen, because they would only lynch when I am out walking a dog.

15. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I think we would all like to believe that camping is a safe activity, and to that extent, that TT's are inherently safer than pop ups and tents.
    I'm going to agree with that statement. It's safer from bears, safer from flying objects, and safer from 2 legged creatures.
    Not saying you shouldn't go out there. Just that being aware of your surroundings isn't a bad idea.
    https://www.thespectrum.com/story/n...ed-utah-near-arches-national-park/8244124002/
    Just started as a weirdo camping next to them. Don't think the type of trailer would have made a big difference. But maybe bought them a few seconds. Or moved out faster by just dumping everything inside.

16. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Let's hope that never happens.

17. raising4daughters

raising4daughters Active Member

Spot on and something the DW and I wrestle with every year this time of year. For a variety of reasons discussed here already, we went with a HW PUP rather than a TT which, for now, suffices. Just part of our deal every September to ask "what next?"

18. raising4daughters

raising4daughters Active Member

@CamperMike - your 2300BH looks like a potentially nice option for a PUP owner looking to go to the dark side without a huge upgrade. Based on your towing experience, is a HT truck required? I see your specs show 2,400 lbs cargo capacity on top of the 4,400 lbs dry weight. While I imagine taking more, we only add 300-400 lbs. to our PUP, so I'm thinking we could comfortably be at 5,000 lbs. loaded with your 2300BH, maybe 5,500. Just never towed anything with a full front and wonder if a smaller TV would be OK with yours.

19. CamperMike

CamperMike Well-Known Member

I wouldn't tow it with less than a HT truck or SUV based on a truck. Payload is an issue and the wheel base of a truck would make it more stable. I come close to max payload when loaded. Actually so many people tow more than they should with a half ton. This trailer is near the top for some with lower payload(like mine) while some half tons have 500lbs more payload and can safely tow something a bit larger.

20. kudzu

kudzu Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I came so close to getting one of those, but in the end upsized to a 17' trailer. One big issue was the size of the bed. I wanted a full-sized bed but that bunk is so narrow. Another issue is floor space. We have too many toys we bring along & I didn't want to have to unload some things when we were just stopping overnight. It's also quite pricey, but that's how it is with the smaller, lower volume manufacturers. I don't fault Intech for the price. I do still love the Explorer and really wish it had worked for us.