Thinking about selling hybrid

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by cfmx, Mar 8, 2016.

1. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Wanted to see by other who have sold their camper themselves. Thnking about selling our Roo 233S and going to black side. I love the camper but my husband wants something easier to setup when hopping sites. We sometimes will go 2 or 3 different campgrounds on our vacation.
    Camper looks brand new (stored under barn w/ cover). No leaks as all seals have been maintained. Inside the camper has no issues. Everything again looks brand new. We always cover seats when camping and completely clean inside and out once home.
    The tent ends are in excellent shape as we always cover them w/ custom PUGs.
    I checked NADA for the specs and it shows Suggest List Price ($25,475) Low Retail ($16,300 no options & 17,875 w/options) Average Retail ($18,600 no options & $20,500 with options).
    Question is w/ camper being in Excellent condition should we list at $18,600 (no options)?
    Added options (above):
    15btu AC
    Power hitch Jack
    Aluminum Wheels
    Awning for slide
    Never used: gas grill
    Electric awning w/ LED

We also added Vent cover for front fan and adjustable shelving in back closet.

Would love to hear what others were able to sell based off NADA guide.

Thanks

2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I sold our 2013 Keystone Passport for what amounted to about 25% below the listed NADA Average value at the time, but was about 4K more than offered on trade. I also let it go with a ton of non removable mods such as see level tank monitors, Progressive EMS, added water tanks, all kinds of stuff. In hindsight if I knew I would still be waiting for a new rig I may have held out for more which I know I could of got out of it if I waited until now. Those NADA values will fall a couple of times a year, typically about $750 a time.

What you may run into is a 2014 being too new. If you try and get the top value listed people most people will realize for a little more they can go new. You can find the 233S online for around 19.9K. Would you buy the 2014 for 18.6K or pay roughly 19.9K for a 2017? Its all about finding the right buyer or how much time you are willing to spend waiting to find the right buyer. A couple of people are asking 15.5 and 17.5 for 2013's at RV Trader............Asking is not getting.

3. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Wow, selling already, you've only had it for two summers. I don't know, I would say around $17K or so. Depends on how many Hybrids are on the market in FL, I know there are none here in Maine at least in my usual haunts for looking for things like that. Good luck and enjoy the dark side

4. cfmx

cfmx New Member

To be honest we would be happy with $16.
    Dealership wants it for free. They are wanting $26k for new with no options other than power awning package.
    Our camper tent ends have no stains compared to there sit ting open outsode with mildew on new camper.

We have upgraded shower head. Rain gutters for storage and travel.

So it sounds like it's do able.

We are planning on ordering new camper which will take 10-12 weeks and listing ours for sale. Problem is we have a camping trip every month if we sell early. :(

5. Old_Geezer

16K is definitely doable, but it may take you some time to find the right buyer. You'll get the most exposure using Ebay. That's what worked for us. Found a buyer from Arkansas and we're in PA.

Not surprised they wanted it for free on trade, I bet they offered you 9.5K to 10K? They would then put it on the lot at about 17.9 expecting to get negotiated down to the 15-16 range I would think.

I will say this. On the new one I would go out of my way to find one already on a dealers lot somewhere if at all possible. Ordering has its disadvantages as I always knew, but found out for real this time. When the one you order comes in its all you have to choose from, and if it has numerous problems be prepared for it to take a long time to resolve. The factories are busier than ever and are cranking out mediocre stuff faster than they are capable of. The dealers, service departments, manufacturers warranty and parts depts, are all overloaded. Nothing is happening fast. If you can find one already in stock, even if it involves some travel, you might be better off.

What are you considering for the new one?

6. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

We seriously considered a 233S in 2015. FWIW I could have bought a nicely appointed one (aluminum wheels, blacked out trim, etc.) for $19,800ish off the dealers lot. I'll agree with Davylee that in the northeast, there are NO used ones on the market. I'd certainly start out on the high side expecting a buyer to beat you up a little bit. I would certainly speculate it would sell reasonably easy at 16ish if that would make you happy.

7. cfmx

cfmx New Member

No one close to us has what we are looking for in stock.
    Jayco Eagle 284BHBE. We looked at the Jayfeather 28BHBE (exact floor plan) but w/ all the options we want it comes standard on the Eagle for about the same cost.

On eBay did you put for local pickup? We have sold plenty on eBay.
    Our current camper was order so we hashed thru the problems. Nothing major luckily. We are thinking about buy thru General RV who seems to have a really good service center. Used them on our Roo for warranty even thou we didn't buy it from them. No questions.
    When having it serviced thru our dealer they never called us back and took 6 months to replace the LED awning lights. :(

8. Old_Geezer

Yes, local pickup but here is the way it evolved.

I had the camper listed on RVT, RVtrader, and a bunch of different Craigslists. Despite spending $150 ($75 each at RVtrader and RVT) I never received so much as one inquiry from either. All I ever had from any of the Craigslists was a bunch of spammers, dealers trying to steal it, and one local low baller who actually came to look at it and insulted me with his offer.

I put it on Ebay as a 7 day auction at book value, set a reserve lower, and people actually bid on it. It did not get to my reserve.
    I put it up again for 7 days, lowered price and lowered reserve, again it got close to the reserve but did not go.
    The third time I did an auction but with a buy it now. Again it got close but no sale.

All through the process I noticed two of the bidders had bid all 3 times so since I was getting close to when I thought the new ordered Roo would be arriving, I sent them Ebay messages and asked them since it seemed they were interested, if either would consider buying it for X amount. The one guy accepted. What sealed the deal was when I offered to meet him half way When it came to getting the trailer to him. He then added $250 to the agreed upon price he didn't have to do but was a nice gesture. He may have been the perfect buyer. He had his bank contact the bank where I had it financed and they paid it off. He sent me a $2500 deposit through PayPal. When I met him in Lexington KY with the camper he handed over a cashiers check for the balance. After we agreed on the price I did run it the 4th time through Ebay as a buy it now so we were both covered by the Ebay protections which cost me all told around $200 for all of it. Despite me almost begging for him to drive up to PA and at least see it first he could not make it happen. The first time he seen it in person was when I met him 1/2 way. It sounds like a lot of BS, but was actually very easy and painless.

The 284BHBE is a really sharp rig......Good Luck

9. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Our Roo sold in a flash. Had 4 backup buyers in case the deal fell thru. Sad to see it go but hoping our Jayco (dark side) will be just as great of a camper as well.
    The new buyers were so happy with it condition of the camper they gave us full asking price. :) They are thrilled about the camper and are looking forward to their first camping trip.