Thinking about upgrading

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by pgordemer, Oct 19, 2010.

1. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

We currently have a 2008 SeaPine that we love. We bought it new figuring as experienced tenters, but Popup novices we would need the comfort of dealer support and warranty.

We are now ending our 2nd season soon, and we are seriously thinking about an upgrade to a bigger pup instead of adding on the the one we have. We definely want to stay pup, its our style.

We are thinking towards the end of a High Wall for the larger refrigerator, 3 burner stove, oven and more usable cabinets (since you really can't store much in a flip over). We don't need extra people space, it will always just be the 2 of us. Toilet and slideout for dinette is another goal.

I have believe we can get at least $6500 or more for our existing trailer and by the time February rolls around I will have about $6000 available (Bonus stuff).

I would love to get something like a Fleetwood Niagra, or something along the highwall line. I am going to talk to my dealer in the next few weeks, but they have moved away from Coleman since they can't get units as fast as they can sell them and now sell primarily Forest River Flagstaff and Rockwood.

2. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

The new Niagaras are gorgeous, if you have a vehicle big enough to pull them (they've gone double-axle, I see). It's pretty normal for folks to want to upgrade their PUP after their first year or two PUP camping; some things you really can't learn about unless you do them, and I think PUP camping qualifies.

I'm looking to upgrade from our 1995 Rockwood XL, our first "try it to see if we like it" PUP, to a 2000 Coleman Niagara for sale here locally. I need to stay a bit smaller as I have a V6 TV, and the older Niagara will probably suit me fine. It has what we want that we don't have now - the slideout, the A/C, the working furnace, easier to find parts, a body less vulnerable to rot, and lots more storage space - and keeps what the XL has that we like - the dining area, the indoor shower/toilet, the headroom so I can stand straight in it.

3. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Isn't it funny how people think when they want to change or upgrade things. Pete and Phil want a larger pup with more amenities. When we had the kids we had larger and larger pups,with more and more goodies, finally ending up with a Fleetwood Evolution E-1. Now the kids are in college and into their own thing we "upgraded" to a small basic pup, the Fleetwood Cobalt. I guess it's all in the perception, we wanted to go with a lighter easier to tow pup that could go offroad, so that was the "upgrade" for us. Hey, to each his own, I hope you guys get a great deal and all the amenities you desire. Good hunting!
    MR

4. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

For us, its more of a "space/storage" thing. We generally host camping for 6-8 people so we have all the common shared items for outdoor cooking/meeting.

I am seeing that in the upper end of the market, there is only a few thousand difference between small amount of features and lots of them, so with a budget of like 10-11K, there seams to be a lot of choices.

5. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

We have had a pretty good day camper shopping, we visited 3 dealers then went to our dealer last. As much as I would love to get a Fleetwood Niagara, its financially just not feasible. One trailer that has caught our eyes is a High Wall Flagstaff (not Rockwood) HW27KS. Its a 14 foot box highwall, single axle. The feature that has us reall interested is this outside pullout kitchen (Sink and Stove).

Just waiting to see the numbers. Our dealer has already made a good offer to trade in our existing trailer, so we may be able to do this with just our tax refund.

Here is the floor plan:
    [smg id=2593]

But this is really what has made us look seriously - the slide out kitchen:
    [smg id=2592]

6. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Ooooo-la-la !!! That slide out galley is pretty darn sweet !! So - those two flip down doors in front.... you could actually store stuff in there permanently since you don't have to 'flip the thing over'? Man, that would be great to be able to just get one of those silverware trays like you use in your kitchen drawer at home, to put in there. No more stuffing silverware in a Ziploc bag.

We are okay with the size of our PUP as far as sleeping. But, the storage situation is horrendous. I've often thought of doing away with my galley and building a compartmentalized storage area. For 6 years our sink has been a potato chip bag holder. Another thing I'd love to do is put real honest to God drawer slides in the drawers so they slide in straight and smoothly. The only thing keeping me from doing it is my obsession with keeping things 'stock'.

Can I camp next to you and use your kitchen?? [:D] [:D]

7. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

We LOVE our high wall Clipper! The only drawback I see with the pullout kitchen is loss of storage space, but it is very nice! [A]

8. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

The pullout kitchen IS pretty cool, but it also looks awfully short - mounted just above the frame. Does it come out and raise up? If not, I'd have to cook with my knees! [:D]

9. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

I haven't actually seen this exact model yet, there are none in this area, and my dealer will be getting them soon, but we have seen other models of this camper and the storage space seems to be good since with the high wall, there is no fold over/down galley, so all the pots/pans/silverware can stay in one place. The 3 sided slideout couch is all usable storage space.

From what I can see the height is the same as most of the stoves you move from inside to outside.

10. 05rocky

05rocky New Member

What is the difference between the flagstaff and rockwood HW models?

11. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

2 different divisions both bought by Forest River.

From what I can see the rockwood series is the affordable line, while the Flagstaff seems to be the high end line. Sort of like the Fleetwood/Coleman Destiny Line vs the Fleetwood/Coleman Highlander Line.

12. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

If at slide out kitchen is done right, it should have doors on the interior too. THat would keep the storage inplay and right next to the interior galley!

13. 2girls1boy

2girls1boy New Member

I will definately be keeping an eye on this thread. We are due with #4 in just a couple weeks. My mom and our 2 dogs (55lbs and 70lbs) all go camping with us. The 2011 season shouldn't be too bad since baby will still be small but sleeping 7 people consistently in the PUP plus being able to comfortably store everyone's stuff is quickly becoming a concern.
    We have looked at some of the HW's but even with the storage we run short on sleeping space. We currently have a 96 Coleman Sun Valley that has great storage and enough sleeping space but it fills up fast!

14. Carlb

Carlb Carl & Dawn

Regarding the differences between the flagstaff and rockwood lines, see what Forest River has to say - http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/pop_up_campers.asp

Flagstaff
    The Flagstaff tent trailer is about family values. It's about enjoying good times together at a price families can afford without sacrificing comfort and convenience.

Rockwood
    The Rockwood pop up camper takes care of the details - all neatly packaged into one incredibly functional unit. Every component works together to give you the best vacation times possible.

15. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Looking at both at dealers in the last few days, I am not sure I agree with the above.

The rockwood line has many more models, but they seem to be a more value line based product. The flagstaff has less models, but seem to be a higher end product.

16. Carlb

Carlb Carl & Dawn

Both Lineups have subtrim levels that determine what extras you get.
    Rockwood has the freedom, premier, ltd and high wall series.
    Flagstaff has the classic, mac/ltd, and highwall.

I didn't take note of the different levels until the Rockwood freedom 2318g we were considering got sold out from under us. Then we started looking at the premier 2516g and the main steps up to me were the suspension, galley stowage, and stereo built in.

I just looked at the features and it looks like Flagstaff Classic and Rockwood Premier have the same features. The Freedom and mac/ltd lines seem to be identical.

Guess it depends on what the dealers had on the lot, and based on the features I cannot see why one would carry identical units that have a different name on the outside of the box.

17. 14erfam

14erfam Member

I'm sure this has already factored into your thinking, but I noticed you're towing with a Dakota (nice choice by the way in my completely bias free opinion).

Have you looked at the weight increase with the highwall? I think the coleman highwalls are probably the heaviest, not sure about Flagstaff. Assuming you have either the 4.7 or the 5.9 in your Dakota, you're probably fine. But double check anyway. I think my Dakota's max towing capacity is 6000lbs and I have the 4.7. As a general rule, I'm not comfortable going over about 2/3 of that. My little Cheyenne is not even close to 4000lbs though.

Happy hunting, and good luck with the upgrade! Enjoy!

18. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Mine is a V8 5.4 with factory towing.

The trailers I have been looking at top out at about 4200 GV. My current unit comes in at about 3300 GV, so its not a huge increase.

19. pgiambrone

pgiambrone Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I have the Flagstaff HW25 S-C. We love it and it has plenty of storage with the front storage compartment. My brother liked is so much he just purchased the Flagstaff HW27 and I found it still has plenty of storage and the interior setup is arranged so that it is very spacious. The exterior kitchen looks nice but may take up too much cabinet space. My high wall pulls very easy. The only drawback is everything is very high, like when setting up the awning. I think you will find that the high wall Rockwoods and Flagstaffs are almost identical. One thing that is nice is the tan canvas on the Flagstaffs hides the stains from camping under trees as opposed to the lighter color on the Rockwoods.

20. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

The HW27KS does not have the Storage Box at all, that floor plan is very open to have nothing in front of either side of the bed.

I don't mind loosing a little space compared to the other models to get the outside kitchen. The extra space existing between the taller cabinets and under the seats is still double what I have now - plus I can take less as now I don't need to have extra outside cooking items stored also.