Thinking of a new TV

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by NorcrossFlyer, Jan 3, 2019.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

It's obviously more expensive but if you buy diesel to save money you are buying for the wrong reason. It's one of those things that you have to pay to play. I don't have to but I still do my oil changes at 5000 miles. They say you can go 10k. Much more frequent fuel filter changes, transmission filter changes, etc, etc....... Yes, it's more expensive, but if pulling big loads a gasser just doesn't compare. Now add in the exhaust brakes on the more modern diesels and just another reason they are far superior towing/hauling machines. Again, neither option is perfect, each has its pros and cons, it just depends on what is more Important to the buyer.

Halford likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Yep, you have to make a list of pros and cons for each. I did...A one ton gasser fit my usage plan better. The big gassers are no slouch. Mine is rated to tow 15k.

RockyRoo likes this.
  3. RockyRoo

Exactly. If mine was a daily driver I would have absolutely gone with a gasser, I personally don't think I would want a diesel for a daily driver. My 6.0 in my 2500 was very respectable with the 4.10 gearsets. But as a largely dedicated tower/hauler/road trip vehicle a diesel was a great option. Just depends on your tolerance and which suits the personal situation better. Gotta make those lists and see which one comes out more favorable

neighbormike likes this.
  4. xxxapache

Mine is used as a everyday vehicle with many short trips. I have a 6.2 and 4.30 gears. It is great in start and stop traffic.

5. RockyRoo

That would surely send a diesel to an early grave. That situation is much better suited for a gasser for sure.

6. RockyRoo

Just curious, how many miles do you have on your 6.2? How has it been so far? I have a cousin who is a Ford engineer and spent quite a few years working on the Super Duty line and is not a fan so I am curious what the real world owners are experiencing.

Always good to double check your "expert" sources with real world results.

7. xxxapache

I haven't had the truck long, so I can't give a real world report.

I did my homework before buying it by reading forums and talking to everyone with them I could find. I read or heard very few negative things.....I followed one hotshot hauler who got 418k out of his original 6.2....He goes by the name Flatbed Ed on a Food truck forum.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    RockyRoo likes this.
  8. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Just curious, what's your cousin's reasons for not being a fan? I'm a Ford engineer who spends time on manufacturing details for the Super Duty, but I'm a "car guy" so don't actually drive them.

9. RockyRoo

His biggest issue, and this was a few years ago that he mentioned it, was something about the ignition system on them and multiple plugs per cylinder and somehow an abnormally high number of issues with it. To the point that he refused to own one. Now, I haven't talked to him in a few years about it so whatever the bug was may have been worked out by now, but he was pretty hard set against them at the time.

10. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

This to the OP

Yes my tundra has such big rear space that the rear seats can move front a bit will recyline. I can take a pic if you want . I can recyline in the rear seat comfortably when the wife is towing and my daughter in the front seat. I am 6 foot 3 . Usually then its me , my son and our 90 lb dog in the rear. We have even packed the rear with 2 kids, my mother in law and my dog in the back.
    we put the dog bed on the floor and the lab chills on the floor. when she is on the floor obviously we cannot recyline the rear seat much then a few inches.

I recommend checking the crewmax out just for the inside space . A reason all other cars are a little disappointment when truck shopping.

11. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

Thanks for the response. Someone tried to turn me on to the Tundra for the reason you stated but it turns out 2013 or 2014 was the last year they had a rear seat that can recline. I was really disappointed when I read about that because I thought that could be a good option.

12. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I did not know that . I love that feature. Recylines and Moves forward . Mine is a 2008 limited .except for electric headlight leveling it had all the options . I got it in 2013 with 85k miles. Currently it has 150k. I did transmission service the first one at 120k, new plugs . the only major issue was the airbag light came on and needed a new unit. it also was the model where the waterpumps would go so i replaced to the newer pump that are 2012 onward that is solid.

It tows my 7k camper real good. I have never felt it needed more power. Its a gasser and rev`s. funny i ride motorcycles on the road which redlines at 11k and my track motorcycle redline at 15k. When people ask me if the tundra revs high while towing i am always confused and say no. maybe 4k on tough pulls.

13. NorcrossFlyer

That seems like a good feature. I upgraded the headlights on my '13 F-150 because the stock ones were awful. The new ones are super bright to the point where I can see their reflection on road signs during the day. Sometimes I get people flashing their brights at me until I turn mine on in return.

And I could have gone significantly brighter with some HID bulbs. I would literally blind people with those.

In case anyone was curious......

https://headlightrevolution.com/200...eam-led-headlight-bulbs-upgrade-supernova-v4/

I highly recommend.

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Supernova???? I don't want to blind the incoming drivers and they hit me head-on!

Rusty2192 and neighbormike like this.
  15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone said it!

PointyCamper and Halford like this.
  16. NorcrossFlyer

Ha! They are really bright but they are only about half as bright as HID bulbs. I don't even understand how those can be legal. They're so powerful they require another power source other than the stock connector.

17. NorcrossFlyer

Once you start putting the numbers together on a truck that fits our needs (3/4 to 1 ton) the price starts looking like a 30-ish foot class C.............so that is where we're headed, I think.

Considering a Jayco 31F and a Winnie 31G. Both are bunkhouse models. We're headed to the Atlanta RV show this weekend so I'm sure there will be more that catch our eye.

"Life moves pretty fast......" - Ferris Bueller

neighbormike likes this.
  18. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Because of the longer wheelbase of the 8 ft box at least with GM, They come equipped with 34 or 36 can't remember which gal tank. Plus w/longer wheelbase the ride is much better. i wouldn't own a shortbox in any config. My diesels I could run out 600+ empty, my gassers about the same. I could pickup about 3 to 8 with the Diesel haulin whatever. From a 22 ft to a 38 ft. Boats were even better. with the diesel one could expect 400 to 500 k haulin 50% before a rebuild. gassers about half that or less. Turbo's would die around 150 to 200k. just a givin. 700 to 850$ clocked and installed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    RockyRoo likes this.
  19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

As someone who has both a class C (21ft) and a trailer (and Durango TV), here are some things to consider:

With the class C only (no toad), you have to take your home with you to go anywhere. For a solo person camping , this has been fine. For multiple people this can be more of a problem. Say DW wants to stay at camp while you take DS off fishing at a nearby lake - she loses the house for the day. Or if you need something from the store - you have to put everything inside the motorhome away so you can drive there and back.

If you sightsee, you will want a toad to drive into cities, etc., or you will want to rent a car as needed or rely on public transportation or uber, etc. I would not drive my 21ft into a big city - it won't fit in parking garages (too tall at about 9-1/2 ft). It's too wide to parallel park on city streets (at 7ft). And it's too long to park in tight parking lots - if I can overhang a foot over bushes, I can just fit in one parking spot. Malls, strip malls, Costcos, etc., work well as you can park further out and take multiple spots, but smaller lots like at many restaurants, etc., and you won't be able to park the motorhome.

Towing a toad with a motorhome is more problematic than towing a trailer. You can't back up when attached, so you have to find pull through sites OR detach the car and drive it in separately. I have seen and heard many folks who end up having one person drive the motorhome and the other drive the car for the trip rather than tow the car especially on winding roads and/or inclines and declines.

If your motorhome engine blows, you lose your house while it is being repaired. If your house needs repair, you lose your vehicle while it is in the shop (unless you have a toad).

Cars that can be towed 4 down are limited. You may need a dolly. Class Cs don't always have enough GVWR to tow a car - you need to watch that very very carefully.

I love my clipper (motorhome) and would never get rid of it. But, I bought the FnR (trailer) specifically for travelling and sightseeing so I could drop it at the campground and drive the Durango around during the day. My clipper is my camping and picnic vehicle - great for taking a day drive and parking for lunch.

People travel with class Cs all the time, but these are the main things that they have to work through before making that decision.

xxxapache likes this.
  20. NorcrossFlyer

Thanks for your advice.

We do plan on trading in our TV for a Jeep. Understood about the issues that come with a toad but honestly I have maybe once backed up my TT in a situation where I wasn't putting it in to a parking spot so it isn't a issue that comes up often. I plan on detaching the toad at check-in unless we have a pull thru spot reserved. I plan on spending good money on a towbar that won't bind so easily. My tow rating on my new C is 7500# which is well above the usual weight of a Jeep (~4000#). I won't be too surprised if we come across a mountain pass that will require the RV and toad to drive separately. But I think here in the east most attempts will just be a slow climb rather than an impossible one.

Losing your house if it has to go in to the shop does suck. But I have explained this to other people when they ask about the "best" RV type and I always say that they all have their advantages and disadvantages. You just need to weigh those out and find the one that best fills your needs.