Thinking of Stone Mountain

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by curtisimo81, Mar 6, 2013.

1. curtisimo81

curtisimo81 New Member

I'm thinking going to stone mountain with the family and camping. Anybody been? We are thinking about going during March 19-23... I hope its not too cold.. Any thoughts on Stone Mountain?

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

3. jdplus3

jdplus3 Member

We were there in the fall about five years ago, the kids really enjoyed it, there was a lot going on. The laser light show is pretty cool but i dont know if they do it this time of year. The campground was nice. The section we were in wasn't very flat so you might want to bring some extra wood for leveling, hope you have a good time.

4. Rambo91145

Rambo91145 New Member

Haven't been yet, I have plans to visit in a few months. It's still really cold here so be prepared for some chilly weather! Much colder than FL (moved from there a few years ago.) all reviews say the campground is good but pricey and there is some good hiking and geocaching. Good luck!

5. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

We have been and would go back. The campsites are close together, but that early in the season, I doubt it'll be full, so you can probably find a couple of empty sites together. It's a great camp ground. [CP]

6. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

We went there several years ago when we were tent camping. Could not find a level site to pitch our tent. We felt like we were going to roll down the hill. But with a PU you should be able to level up on the site. The laser show was nice. We ended up going to one of the State Parks which we liked much better. Would we go back to Stone Mountain? No. Too many people for my liking.

Campit

7. Nannerlily

Nannerlily New Member

We just went April 1-3 and loved it! We had no problem leveling and the pup sites are more spacious than the others. We stayed in 66 and had a beautiful view (sunsets are awesome), although it was cross the street from lake. This was a pull-through site. We also like the two spots across the road where you have more access to the lake (and ducks ;). Those were like site 65 and 67 I think. 67 out of the two would have been better, the only thing with those sites are there is a short drop-off retaining wall that would hit right at the edge of the awning. THen a gentle slope to the lake where the picnic table, grill and fire pit were. Our site did not have that problem, we had plenty of space, more length than width, but plenty of space. I can send pics if you want.