This is Nuts

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by scubacamper, Aug 23, 2019.

1. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Okay I'm booking our trips to our own SP's here in FL and I'm having trouble getting the locations I need even 6 and 7 months out. My schedule as an educator is pretty well set but my DW's schedule is often fluid and so dates fluctuate and that makes it hard to nail down a specific date this far out. Is anyone else having these issues?

Milemaker13 and 1380ken like this.
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Have a similar issue here in Ontario. . We can reserve sites at Provincial Parks 5 months out.. but if you miss the first available booking day you may be sol.
    Like you I know my schedule by mid October and know my holidays by mid November

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

most campgrounds were built long ago when population was smaller, so nowadays its more difficult to get sites

4. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Yes we have to plan ahead more than years ago. It's gotten busier.

We started to reserve sites 1 year in advance with a best guess on dates we are available 1 year later. Look for other people's cancellations daily when we have to find something different.

5. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

I've heard of this difficulty in getting spots at State (or Provincial) parks. I haven't had this issue when booking private campgrounds, although the prices are about double (however, they often include water/electic/cable and have nice shower rooms and sometimes a pool... which I'm very happy to pay extra for). I have booked a private campground the week prior to a busy holiday... very happy to say! I've heard that people are using BOTS to book state sites... maybe this is one reason you can't get a spot.... they are snatched up seconds after they become available.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Some of our FL ones I have to book 11 months out. Mostly the ones in the keys, especially since 1.5 of the state parks down there are still restoring.

At 6 or 7 months I can usually get a spot anywhere else. Fort Clinch I almost always take one of the tent sites on the river loop, as that's a difficult park to get into as well.

BTW, I read that approval has been requested for an RV park on Amelia Island. I hope that takes the strain off Fort Clinch, if it goes through.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Around here the state parks fill up way in advance for sites with electric (state parks generally don't have more utilities than electric here). But the "primitive" sites you can usually get a week out or less.

If you learn to camp off-grid you'll have way less trouble. We upgraded to solar this season to help us in that endeavor... we already camped without electric more than half the time even before that.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Most of my camping is close to home (about 50-60 miles. Bring retired with no time constraits I look for open dates at one of my favorite sites and book that.

Pommom70 and HappyTraveler like this.
  9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I am mainly a Sunday-Thursday camper....

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yup, I love the Sunday morning head-out! Traffic is normally going the other way and I get to the CG and it's normally empty, or nearly so. Friday we get up and go, and watch the line of RVs come at us as we head back to the ranch. It's a good deal if you can swing it, but I appreciate that a lot of folks are stuck to the weekend warrior route... which is what creates the problem booking Fri-Sun.

11. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

When we first started the pup camping we found out within the first year the same issue you are having. Never been down that road since and never intend to. Another reason is most do not have full hook up, and that is a must for me. Don't mind paying up for the private CG's., plus I can reserve the exact site the we want.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Being flexible in when and where you stay will make finding a site less stressful. We went to Florida for spring break 2019. Our first three choices were booked. The fourth had sites available and there were a few empty sites all week and we bought City Pass for the Tampa area and had a blast. The PUP is more of a hotel room on wheels for spring break vacations. The rest of our outings are more about camping. Closer to major attractions makes it harder and during holidays make it close to impossible at some campgrounds.

campfire Joe likes this.
  13. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Yeah...

I do the 11 months out deal for Florida SP's. It is a pita to book so far in advance, I can't tell you how many times I have had to cancel a week or two before. That being said, My inability to make it to the campground gives others a fighting chance if they are trying to book a week or two out.

Also, The campgrounds don't book 100% of their sites online. They keep about 20% of their sites available to drive up campers. I have been tempted to say F-It, and drive 400 miles, and try to snag one of those 20% sites. But, I don't, because I don't want to set up in the Wal-Mart parking lot !!

[Guitar]

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our favorite FL state park has only ONE fcfs site. And that one is often occupied when we are there. :sad:

scubacamper likes this.
  15. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Yep we have family that live right on the border to Algonquin in Whitney Ont and my MIL is in line first day and shes usually one of the first 100 through the door. Teying to book online is terrible. Websites go down people booking the best sites for one night stays. They really need to give best sites to longer stays first. Then theres the mad rush for fcfs. If you get to the site first you gotta stake your tent. Before anyone else does. And people do this on the sunday then pay gor the site all week to only use it the next weekend. I think tenters should be given non electrical sites first then trailers can use them. I know lots of people gonna get mad that i said that but seriously who needs 50amps in a tent? Bring a battery booster and charge your phones that way!

16. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

There is nothing better than watching the friday trafgic jam lol. Last week at KOA Ivy Lea guy was pulling a brand new airstream about 25ft with a hyundai mini van. The wdh was almost dragging. He proceeded to get a boulder stuck under it then once i had removed the boulder he cuts it hard and tore the front bumper off on the same boulder. If i hadnt of moved it it would have gine through the floor of his trailer.
    Then the husband wife started screaming at each other like banshees. Thats why we have 2way radios so nobody hears us fighting when the wife says oh can we get the 30ft trailer 2 more inches to the right? Lol. Between the excited kids the whining dog and my wife who wants the trailer in the perfect spot i would have lost my mind without the 2ways. Good times? Let em roll!

17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Minnesota did this until about a year ago, now 100% of sites are reservable. I guess a lot of those sites were sitting unreserved.

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here in Ontario the Provincial Parks non reservable sites work on 2 different systems.. some parks operate using the older system of set sites are deemed non res. meening the sites that are not reservable this tear are not reservable next year and they keep a nice mix of electric and non electric sites of different sizes. The newish way the rest of the parks do it is on a percentage base
    . 90% of the park is booked any remaining sites become non reservable, usually resulting in tent sites only being available to drive ups.

Key to booking .. specially for things like the Ontario Rallies is to choose C and D rated parks..

19. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

We are retired so we like to camp Sunday thru Wednesday. No crowds this time of year, no need for reservations unless you really have a favorite spot.

To book for Halloween or holiday weekends means reserving months ahead at the SPs.

BillyMc likes this.
  20. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Yup We reserve as much as a year out and often have to cancel do to Live moving faster than the Reservations