This is Nuts

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by scubacamper, Aug 23, 2019.

1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

That is why I like to camp alone just Pebbles and I and I usually do not try to assist someone until after they are parked in their site, but you were very lucky to not have been hurt during this escapade. WDH dragging should have been an omen :) that this person should not own anything mechanical :)

neighbormike likes this.
  2. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard that but you're right it might take the pressure off and we as locals might actually get a spot every year of so.

Orchid likes this.
  3. scubacamper

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and misery, nice to know I'm not the only one having issues...Orchid you know the drill for us up here in N/E FL. I'd love to drive down to one of the sites early and have a site for a night or two but packing up the PUP, Family and then heading down is next to impossible.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

As others have posted. Sunday thru Thursday.

5. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

Living in South Florida, I have always had the same issues. A lot of the issue is the full timers and snowbirds. I never realized how many of them live in RV's. They come down and make multiple back to back reservations and stay all fall/winter.

scubacamper likes this.
  6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Most public campgrounds around here have a limit to how many days you can stay (consecutive or not) in a given month, to prevent that sort of thing.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Stay safe during this storm! We had plans to come over for the long weekend, but now coming over after Dorian to treasure hunt what gets washed up.

My sister gave up her rental right on the ocean, but bought a 5 bedroom home a few blocks from it. We are no longer limited by Fort Clinch reservation, although we still have some in October.

I saw the petition against the new RV park on the Fernandina Beach community Facebook page. Lots of people were for it though, so doubt the petition will stop it.

Are you trying to reserve for spring break? That could be a factor, if so.

8. scubacamper

No, not Spring Break because I'm faculty in Clay while I live in Duval and the weeks are different so this year that's not an option. I'm just happy to try and get 2 nights on a 3 day wknd.

Orchid likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Florida is a bit different from most other places. Like Arizona, it has a very large snowbird population. Unlike Arizona, it doesn't have a huge amount of undeveloped land well suited for temporary homesteading.

Trying to accommodate both the snowbirders and the "regular campers" is really a no win situation.

Other states are able to use stay limits and such to provide camping opportunity to everyone because the number of folks doing long-term stays is very minimal and doesn't have much if any impact of the economy. But Florida has to weigh the potential financial loss of snowbirders against the short term camper opportunities. Unfortunately, the economical impact will be the most important factor.

10. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

I gotta laugh, the neighbors and us went campin together first time. Hes new to towing altogether. Both wives are saying this exact thing... basically like " if you can just magically float the PUP sideways a few inches and get the front over there (tongue about 4' in the air perched atop a hill- yes dear the mini van can do that no problem!).
    And yes , reserving months and months in advance sucks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  11. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

The upside is that it gets us planning and thinking about camping while there are a few feet of snow on the ground. But yes - it would be nice to have the ability for a bit more spontaneity.

12. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Thank you Tulip! That is a very nice upshot! ​

Tulip likes this.
  13. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but I am curious about this issue of having to reserve so far in advance. We bought our pop up in 2016. I hadn’t done any trailer camping since the early 1980’s. So I’ve been shocked at how difficult it is get reservations, and not always in popular places (and we totally lost out on Florida last year — NOTHING was available). In the 1970’s my parents took us and our travel trailer from Louisiana to Oregon and back and never had a reservation. So my question is whether some of the more seasoned veterans might have any insights from your experiences of changes across the decades.

Orchid likes this.
  14. Toedtoes

A lot depends on your selectiveness. If you are OK staying somewhere NEAR a popular NP rather than IN the NP, then you can usually find something. It might be a basic RV Park rather than a nice private campground with lots of amenities.

If you can travel outside of peak season (Memorial Day to Labor Day for most areas), then you will have an easier time.

If you choose areas away from urban centers, you are less likely to have to fight with a ton of local weekenders. Away from major roads and you eliminate a lot of overnighters taking up a site for just one weekend night.

If you can dry camp, you'll have more chances of a site than if yoy require full hookups.

15. Orchid

My parents never had reservations and I never had reservations when our kids were growing up. Things have changed in a huge way! Never needed them until the last decade or so.

16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I do miss the days when I called the park and made reservations... paid when I got there!

scubacamper and Pommom70 like this.
  17. Orchid

We never even did that. The only thing that ever got booked up by phone was cabins, at least where we lived. There was plenty of regular sites to just show up. I have never been turned away ... not once, back in the 90's and early 2000's. Now I would never dream of just showing up.

18. Toedtoes

I was thinking about that myself. Forty years ago there really was no realistic way to reserve in advance. You didn't have internet. You didn't have phones at the campground.

You had two choices: call the ranger station and reserve - paying cash when you arrived. Or hopping in the car and beating the other non-reserving campers.

I suspect that a first time camper who drove out four hours and couldn't get a spot was likely to not go again. So that kept numbers down.

Now with internet, cell phones, etc., fewer first time campers are driving four plus hours for no site - so they continue camping increasing the total number of campers.

I remember having to hit three campgrounds to find a site on a normal summer weekend in the mid-nineties. I remember making reservations "to be safe" in the mid-eighties.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Agreed! You can call the state parks now and they barely have a clue as to what is booked or available!

20. Tim FLA

Tim FLA New Member

Florida State Parks are nearly impossible. Most are reserved at least a year in advance. We live in FL and can't camp at our State Parks. Unless you're retired, how can you plan something that far out? Sheesh.