This light for roof good?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by modeler, Sep 29, 2021.

1. modeler

modeler New Member

[Costco] Costco Artika Stream LED Under Cabinet 3 Light Set $36.99 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

I post it, what do you think?

Pro:
    It come with mounting bracket, should be fairly easy to drill a couple hole and mount it on. It is very light, not gonna fall. or add problem to the popup roof.
    Cons:
    Some mod to the sensor needed to run it as regular light.
    It maybe too dim to be a roof light.
    And it come with 120v power supply which output 24v (not 12v) so it won't wire to battery, no boondock.

98 Coleman cheyenne, it has ABS roof, outside it is crack like ****, but perfect inside. should I drill?, And there are four little plug at center where usually air conditioner is, I suspect they are pre-drilled hole for AC, even my trailer doesn't equip an AC. I am not sure if there are metal bracket on back of the hole, I really hope so I can use them for mounting the light.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

How about we start with what you are trying to do? Does the pop up have lights allready? Do they work?

PopUpSteve, kcsa75 and Snow like this.
  3. modeler

modeler New Member

It has 2 doom lights both work as designed for. But to dim for dinner or reading .

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076X2LVY4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
    Your in luck, swap out the bulbs for leds something like this. No need for a new light fixture. Plus the other one was probably 110 volt, you dont have the power up there to run it. Make sure these will fit your camper. They worked in my 2000 Coleman. You can also add a reading light if you have a pirt on the existing light fixture.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Just throwing this out there as a cheaper alternative is to switch out your incandescent light bulbs to LED in those dome lights. When I did that the lighting increased big time. I use a 12v light that attaches to my bunkend for light to use in the bunk which is great for reading.

generok likes this.
  6. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I would spend a little time looking here vs. Costco. What you propose is accent lighting for under cabinets. It's got several things going against it, primarily being the power source.

Look here: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Lighting

Plenty of bright options that will work right out of the box.

7. modeler

modeler New Member

Yeah you are right, probably will return it now after reading your post, thx guys

8. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Always go for native 12v. It's your most efficient route when running or possibly running off battery. If your on shore power I guess it's of no concern.

Sjm9911 likes this.