This may be the last of my camping.

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by beemerboy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Well, today I went to see my cardiologist in Boston. And while I was there at the hospital I went to talk to another doctor about my congestive heart failure because my condition has been going down hill for the last few months.

The new doctor wants me to have some tests to evaluate me for suitability to me put on the list for a heart transplant.

So, if I do qualify for a new heart, this may mean the end of camping for a long time, if ever again.

Although, I'm feeling rather discouraged right now, I do feel fortunate in that the doctors I see are top notch in their fields and the hospitals in Boston are among the best.

One of the things that really impresses me is that the doctors talk TO me not AT me and they make sure that I understand what is being said. I'm glad I have a cousin that will come into the exam room and help me listen and get things straight.

What will be tough is arranging for transportation for what will be expected to be many trips to Boston an hour and a half away if the traffic is good. Thank goodness I have a very kind and understanding cousin.

2. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Wow, when you complain about not having shoes, you meet someone who doesn't have any feet...
    I hope all goes well. Big prayers for you and your family.

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

beemerboy - I will be praying for you.

We have a VERY GOOD friend who is celebrated 8 years post heart transplant last month. Initially he had some rejection scares, but he hasn't been hospitalized for over 4 years now. He is very active leading a church youth group with his wife.

I will pray that you have success with your treatment. Please keep us all informed of your progress.

Fondly,
    Wendy

4. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Never give up. Find the best care you can and know that there are others who are pulling for you. Most importantly Enjoy your fanily, your friends and the things you enjoy the most. Best wishes to you and yours and we'll see you at the campgrounds. Here's to a speedy recovery.

5. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[SUN] We will pray for you and we wish you the best. God willing you we be in tip top shape soon and back at the campground.

6. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

One of the biggest problems with "being on the list" is the uncertainty of when or even if the transplant will happen.

There are so many factors involved such as where on the list is your name, blood type, the patients health and age and where and when another person dies that will donate their heart.

The patient could be on the list for months to years.

I just don't know how to deal with this.

7. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Check with your doctor(s). There may be support groups for this. There's thousands of transplants done every year. You certainly aren't the first to experience the anxiety, dread, uncertainty.

Hope and pray all goes well for you. And I wouldn't necessarily give up on camping in the future. You have a long road for sure, but if things go well....you just never know. God bless.

8. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I am praying for you. At least you have Boston at your disposal, I wouldn't recommend anywhere else. They are truley the best. I will be praying that this works out for you. Keep your chin up and God Bless.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I understand about the value of having medical people talk to and with you rather than at you. It makes a big difference! A couple of my doctors have arrived at that point after a few visits, but it shouldn't be necessary to train them. [To be fair, I'm sure they see many people who do not listen, have the interest to take part in their own health, etc., but still...]

The suggestion to find support groups is a good one; the best groups will make a big difference in coping with many health issues. If one group is not for you, another may be.

10. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

There are indeed support groups. The hospital can put you in touch. Are you near Boston now? If so we Portal folks are in Salem this weekend and if you're up for it you can come and maybe get your mind off things for a few hours with us. Thoughts your way.

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Wishing for all the best and you getting out in the woods camping soon.

12. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Thanks NH-popper for the offer to visit you all in Salem. I think that at this time I could use distraction. Unfortunately, I live as farther from Boston the other way as Salem is from Boston.

13. jhowe327

jhowe327 New Member

Our thought and prayers are with you. I hope you have many more camping days in your future....

14. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

beemerboy, you certainly have the prayers of everyone here and we've appreciated your friendship over the years. Camping or not, we hope you stick around here and stay in touch. I work in a hospital and I encourage you to reach out and ask about support groups. The hospital Social Workers can give you contact information. When you are admitted, be sure to ask for a chaplain to visit. Religious or not, chaplains are wonderful at listening, calming your fears, and giving you hope. We will be looking for you to post and give us updates in the months ahead. God Bless!

15. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Fellow New Englander here from RI..........Hope and pray that everything goes well for you and everything happens in the fastest mean possible. I hope your back to camping soon and looking at this as a fond memory. [CP]

16. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Everyone has offered good advice and good thoughts. Please let me add ours and wish you well on this journey. Be strong, keep your face to the sun, and we'll catch you on the road to the campground when you keep in touch with your progress. God bless you and keep you in his healing hands.

This is a good reminder to become an organ donor. If you haven't signed up yet, find out how to do it. Here in Georgia, we can sign up when we get or renew our driver's license. I am an organ donor and have a friend whose life was saved with a donor's kidney. She keeps in touch with the donor's family as they are now "related by blood."

Peace!

17. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Good thoughts GA Judy. I'm an organ donor :) Can't think of a finer last wish.

18. Cant Wait

Cant Wait New Member

You shouldn't be out for good, Will keep you in our prayers wishing you a new heart with a speedy recovery.

19. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I'll keep reading on this forum. There is not much else to do :) .

The biggest problem I have is the wait. It could be anytime from next week to next year and the thought of putting whats left of my life on hold waiting is what bothers me the most.

I hate waiting for anything, I've always been impatient. I would rather spend a few dollars to buy something around home instead of waiting for it to be shipped. When I do order something over the net I usually pay for expedited shipping. Just get the show on the road.

When I had my first defib put in I told the doctor and it was put in the next week. When my defib was replaced, it was done just a few days later. And I find it very hard to ask for help when I need it, so this is going to be tough because I know I'll need it

My posting count will probably increase because once I get going I turn into a blabberfingers.

20. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Hang in there and keep your chin up [8D]