Thought I would share...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by fb5, Dec 27, 2013.

1. fb5

fb5 New Member

While this isn't a PUP story, it is a campground story and I would like to vent it out a little and see what you all think...

I was camping at Joe Wheeler SP in Alabama in the primitive campsite section, which is separate from the developed campground by about 50 yards down a dirt trail. It is 2-3 acres and has about 50 sites each consisting of a level grass spot, a rock campfire ring, a trashcan, and a picnic table. When I arrived at about 2pm on Friday and the entire primitive campground was empty, and you pick any spot you choose.

I set up my tent in the far back corner in the most private and secluded site in the campground. I am a writer and some nights I like to write late with a light, etc. and try and stay away from campers when possible to avoid waking them up. Well at about 5pm I went on a hike for an hour or so. When I came back the entire campground was completely empty except for a single tent mansion planted in the spot next to mine about 15 feet away. It was a family--man, woman, two young children. I was irritated and thought it rude, since it was apparent (to me anyways) that I chose the secluded spot for a reason. I didn't say anything though, I prefer to avoid any confrontation. I just packed up my chair and cooler, loaded the tent on top of the truck (still popped up), and drove it over to a site on the opposite side of the campground. The man came over a few minutes later and apologized and said they weren't trying to crowd me. I said it was fine, no harm no foul, and that was that.

It wasn't a huge deal, but I just have to wonder what they were thinking. Do people really want to camp on top of each other when they don't have to? I can understand like 5 spots over or something, but why right next to me out of 50 spots?

Anyways, that's the story. Thanks for listening.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Just can't figure people out???? [?:~{]

3. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Thankfully you were able to move your camp easily. It was nice the man came over to apologize. Probably next time they will remember and pick a spot at least a few sites away.

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Possibly they wanted seclusion/privacy too, but you'd think they'd give you a little breathing room. Go figure.

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Not really related but it reminds me of an old study done by P.I.T.A. (The animal people).
    Someone at PITA decided that the chickens being shipped in crates to become human food needed more room in the crates. They did a study on how much room each chicken should have. The outcome decided that the chickens needed about three times the space the shippers we giving them. The shippers were ordered to comply. Upon arival to the destination the shippers found 2/3 of the crate empty and the chickens huddled together in the other third. Go figure.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This question of why someone camps right next to the only occupied site in a CG has come up many times before here on the Portal. To my knowledge no one has ever been able to explain it. If I enter a CG and see only one other camper I always pick a site as far from him/her as possible. This phenomenon occurs with cars in parking lots, too. You park way away from everyone else and when you come back to your car someone else has parked right next to you??? Go figure.

7. Heritage

Heritage New Member

I am beginning to think that people do it because they are afraid of the woods/dark. They arrive thinking there will be folks around, realize that there is only one camper there, and so they camp right next to him.

8. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

Have had a similar occurrence in an almost empty parking lot.. they will park so close you can hardly get out of your vehicle. why, not sure must be some kind of a thing some people have. lol

9. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I think this is right on point!

Campit

10. tombiasi

Are people who are afraid of the woods and the dark the type to go camping in the first place?

11. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

^ I know, right? ^

Campit

12. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Being near you was a since of security.

13. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

^ I didn't think of it in that way. That's a good point too. I guess they look at it as safety in numbers?^

Campit

14. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I would agree with the security thing. And there are some people that are so social they just like being around other people all the time or like being in large crowds of people.

15. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Maybe they are trying to overcome their fears and experience new things

Maybe they are just more social people and crave some contact

Maybe it was a nicer area of the park

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

16. Leyster

Leyster Revelstoke, B.C.

When this happens to us in campgrounds we figure they are strict city folk, that are so used to apartment living, like in a sardine can, they have to camp that way also. There is a private exclusive campground just outside of town and the campers there are so close you need a can opener to open the door so can get out. To us what is the point of camping if you have to be so close to another stranger.

17. goody59

goody59 Member

Maybe they just though you looked lonely and decided to give you company to cheer you up. Who knows what they were thinking.

18. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

That is spot on!! they figure someone who comes into the park will think that you are all together and will leave you all alone. I have been fishing in my boat on a lake with no one else around as far as you could see and all of a sudden I hear a boat coming and he pulls up 5o ft. away from where Im fishing. I just put my rod down, fire up the engine and do a circle around him putting up a massive wake before hauling @#!$$ across the lake at WOT.!!! [LOL]

19. tombiasi

maybe, maybe, maybe.

20. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Have camped next to/near some nice, friendly people, but on an occasion or who have ended up camping near someone who was the type of person who has to tell you their entire life story, including their dirty laundry or has to be the type to show off, and brag about their "stuff". Both times, these type of people invaded our personal space. Personally, I go camping to be with my best frend, (DH) and not to make new friends or try to impress people. DH & I work opposite schedules, so time alone is a rarity and a time to be treasured.